In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to kill wild onions in lawn without

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
killing everything else? Or is it possible?? Also, they could be wild garlic, not sure how to tell the difference. Whatever they are have a very strong odor.

There are just too many to try and dig them up and they break off when I try to just yank them out.

This is the year that I decided to try and have a decent lawn and the onions are really bugging me. Any good advice will be appreciated. Tom

Comments

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2-4-D might work on them
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hire a lawn service. I serviced (fertilized, sprayed for weeds) my own yard for a few years. Still had a yard full of weeds each spring.

Finally, obtained a lawn service and it's serviced about every 2 months. No more weeds. I pay $44.00 for each service.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a stick 4 ft long with a rag tied onto 1 end, soak the rag with vinegar, daub the onion group, it will kill it without poisoning your entire yard. boiling water works too if you dont have too many places
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the problem is that onions are monocots just like grass, as opposed to most lawn weeds which a broad-leaved (Dicots). Weed killers which will kill onions will also kill grass unless you use a grass killer and specifically apply to each plant you want gone.
  • Options
    onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eat them. Round leaves---onion. Flat leaves---garlic. Great for soups, mashed potatoes and salads.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why worry about them. Green is green, enjoy the different stuff growing. In the country what we call lawns city folks call weeds, we don't use anything to kill green stuff. The deer and lawn mower will make them all equal... [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for good info. I checked them out and I believe them to be onions. My neighbor eats them but I prefer the sweet Vidalias.

Discusdad, that vinegar treatment sounds like a winner! It will take a while since I have DOZENS of clumps. I have a fairly small yard but they are pretty dense. Tom
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find a chemical that will actually kill them out. Please let me know for I have yet to see any.

Vinegar with a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle works better than most concoctions.

=======

Like Onepopper said.

Eat'em, Theye can be very good in a lot of dishes. I like them stem/leaves and all chopped up in fried potatoes, Trout and other fixings.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Why worry about them. Green is green, enjoy the different stuff growing. In the country what we call laws city folks call weeds, we don't use anything to kill green stuff. The deer and lawn mower will make them all equal... [:D]

Could not agree more.[^] In the HOT summer crab grass is my best green "grass". Clover is nice in spring but once dry season comes, there is not any lawn to maintain.[:)] Enjoy Retirement....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    add a drop of dish detergent to the vinegar to help cover the waxy stalk.
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    Thanks for good info. I checked them out and I believe them to be onions. My neighbor eats them but I prefer the sweet Vidalias.

Discusdad, that vinegar treatment sounds like a winner! It will take a while since I have DOZENS of clumps. I have a fairly small yard but they are pretty dense. Tom
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Why worry about them. Green is green, enjoy the different stuff growing. In the country what we call laws city folks call weeds, we don't use anything to kill green stuff. The deer and lawn mower will make them all equal... [:D]

+1000
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cows will eat the stuff. I can remember back in the 50s the dairy that delivered our milk didn't h-o-mogenize their milk, they just pasteurized it and you could taste the onions in the milk.

This damn nanny censor on this forum is a pain. You can't even say samegenize with it doing something stupid.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    a stick 4 ft long with a rag tied onto 1 end, soak the rag with vinegar, daub the onion group, it will kill it without poisoning your entire yard. boiling water works too if you dont have too many places

Add the soap and use a hand pump type sprayer? Seems like it would be easier.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

Hire a lawn service. I serviced (fertilized, sprayed for weeds) my own yard for a few years. Still had a yard full of weeds each spring.

Finally, obtained a lawn service and it's serviced about every 2 months. No more weeds. I pay $44.00 for each service.

This is the answer. I gave up years ago and just hired a professional. Keep an eye on them. I have had to change providers when they started spraying iced tea instead of chemicals. I used to have a huge problem with the onions and henbit. I have bermuda so when it goes dormant anything green gets hit with roundup.

My biggest problem is honeysuckle getting up into the shrubs. MrsFun was clearing it last week and got poison ivy really bad on her arms.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Honey, that isn't honeysuckle'
    'what is it, then?'
    'You'll see....'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you only need to touch what is above ground. a spray will kill everything that is touched, grass included. daubing on the upright won't hurt the grass beside it.quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad

Add the soap and use a hand pump type sprayer? Seems like it would be easier.
  • Options
    onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    barzilla: Check your information.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by onepopper
    Eat them. Round leaves---onion. Flat leaves---garlic. Great for soups, mashed potatoes and salads.

If you start eating them and act like 9pretend) you really like them they will die. Kinda in same category of nice people seem to go first and Aholes and jerks live forever[;)].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I am totally confused. My leaves are sort of oval shaped and are hollow. You can blow air thru them. I just ate a small bulb and it had a little heat but I can't tell if it was onion or garlic. I lean more to garlic when crushed between fingers. It is strong.

Some of the referenced cited A canadense as onion or garlic, a little confusing for me. However, I think I know what ramps are now. I DO NOT have ramps. Too bad.

If anyone wants some starter plants, I will supply all you want for free. I'll supply the beer while you dig em up! Tom