In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Water pump rebuilders UPDATE

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
Can anyone direct me to a business that can/will rebuild water pumps??

I just bought a Komatsu D20A-5 dozer and the water pump will have to be fixed/replaced. New pump is $350 which is a little high for me.

Any help will be appreciated. Tom

UPDATE: Boy, did I ever get lucky! Found a rebuilder only 60 miles away in Tupelo MS. Will rebuild for $150 w/72 hour turnaround. Komatsu wants $350 for new one. Can't wait to get baby running. Tom

Comments

• Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Welcome to heavy equipment. The dollars get bigger as the machines get heavier. Unfortunately I have a feeling that you'll be paying what they're asking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah Nord, I know all about heavy eqpt repair but so many items can be repaired for fraction of new. I am trying to find repair facility or maybe even a repair kit. Many are listed on net and I may get lucky. Hopefully, someone will know of a place and save me many hours searching!! Tom
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rockanddirt.com.....magazine listing machinery and parts for sale ...good luck
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This crosses like it is the one, but their description doesn't list it. You need to find the part number first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KOMATSU-4D95S-W-WATER-PUMP-6204-61-1300-BULLDOZER-D20-6-D21-6-D20-7-D21-7-/271660189823?hash=item3f4035887f&vxp=mtr
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    we rebuild lots of old water pumps At the John Deere dealer I work for but only John Deere I worked at a independent equipment dealer 15 years ago and there was o shop about 80 miles away that did starters Clutches HYD. cylinders and water Pumps cant remember their name [:(]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my wife runs the office at a place that rebuilds pumps and motors, I doubt if it would be cheaper to rebuild one at 110 bucks an hour labor
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good results from this company for industrial motors

http://www.kelloggautomotive.com/wprebuilding.html
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Why does it need replaced? Seal leaking? Bearing bad?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Savage, I have Kellog's number and will call them tomorrow. MG, I suppose the seal is leaking. I have not pulled it but will do tomorrow. My WAG is just it needs a seal and if I can find a kit, I can have it running in short order. Just got to find a supplier. Tom

PS: 1911, Yep, I work a lot cheeper than that! If I can just find the parts, I believe I can make it work. T
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Odds are the seal can be crossed by inner diameter, outer diameter and thickness. Pull it apart and measure it up. I'd change the bearing while it is apart.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have your serial number..

I will give you a little information that may help.

If you have the water pump off. Look at the back of it. If it has a plate held in place by a Snap Ring the pump is easy to rebuild yourself.

Snap Ring
    Plate
    O-ring
    Impeller ($120 approx)
    Seal ($70 approx)
    Shaft

Once you have the fan, Boss and Pulley off. Everything comes out of the back of the pump.

The two water pump part numbers I have are for

Serial Number 16034-UP Part #6144-61-1501

Serial Number 12336-16033 Part #6144-61-1500
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LES, My serial # 52020. It is a D20A-5. I can find all sorts of stuff for an A-6 but A-5 seems to be rare! Tom,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    LES, My serial # 52020. It is a D20A-5. I can find all sorts of stuff for an A-6 but A-5 seems to be rare! Tom,

Check your PM box..
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Have you tried your local NAPA?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google search...[8]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Les, Don't have anything in mailbox yet. Please resend or go direct to: tccox1224@yahoo.com

I seem to have problems getting mail thru GB channels. Thanks, Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Les, got it!! Will try to get old pump off tonight and see what I have to do. Thanks much. Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your welcome Tom.

Good site for finding parts and numbers for just about any type of Komatsu equipment made.

You can Right click the drawing images and then click View Image. You can print the page for reference when doing repair work.

Good Luck with the dozer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    UPDATE: Boy, did I ever get lucky! Found a rebuilder only 60 miles away in Tupelo MS. Will rebuild for $150 w/72 hour turnaround. Komatsu wants $350 for new one. Can't wait to get baby running. Tom

Good deal on getting it rebuilt for just $150. It would have me that just for a new impeller, seal and gasket set.

Did you get the clutch problem figured out yet?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Les, Don't want to work on clutch until we get it running again. I think most of the problem may be in adjusting the brake band BUT the adjustment screws are frozen so tight that we are afraid to break something if we use too much pressure. Have been squirting Kroil in the access hole but don't think it is getting to the right spot.

Don't really know what to do next. Sure don't want to take a bunch of stuff loose if we don't have to.

And we don't have the pump off yet!! The guys had to finish a job Monday but should get it out today. Radiator needs good cleaning too. Years of neglect are evident but there is a very good radiator shop in Grenada MS. Have had him work on several before.

Will make progress report when (if?) there is any!! Tom