In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I have an old...

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
saute'/omelet pan - 8" "MIRRO" brand - made of thick aluminum, which I like to cook with, that has a seriously peeling non-stick finish of some sort.

I don't like the non-stick stuff anyway, so I was wondering what you guys would think about be having it bead blasted up at NAPA and using it with a natural finish ??

Would one need to season it like an iron pan, or would it not work at all ??

Thank you.

Doug

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just guessing, but I would say the bead blasting would cost more than a new pan, just my 2 cents Doug.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Their have been studies that claim Raw aluminum, in contact with food & drink may be linked to Alsheimers.(sp)
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Doug, if you ever prove that you're real by making it down here, I'll buy you a new omelet pan. [:D]
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,
    It's not going to cook the same without the original finish anyway, so, why not just head down to Sears or somewhere, and get youself a brank spankin' new 8" pan?
    Jim
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I donno Doug, but that might work. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wire brush/wheel on angle grinder/drill; fast and easy.....oh yeah, and cheap. I don't think you can or need to season aluminum.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use stainless steel skillets ,pots and cast iron .If you eat at any Waffle house are International Pancake houses,their skillets are made of caste aluminum.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Their have been studies that claim Raw aluminum, in contact with food & drink may be linked to Alsheimers.(sp)

+1
    * a new 1
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Mebbe I'll get a cast iron one.

I just really like the pan, the way it feels and handles.

Oh, well...

And Cameron.... YOU'RE the one who doesn't exist !![8D]

Doug
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Problem I have experienced is ALL coated pans, and I don't care how expensive, the coating ALLWAYS ends up coming off.

I prefer cast iron. They have worked great since there were things such as cookware. Pioneers used them exclusivley. They didn't like T-fal.[;)]
    edited November -1
    [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Doug
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I prefer cast iron. They have worked great since there were things such as cookware. Pioneers used them exclusivley. They didn't like T-fal.

Wanna see a family fued? Leave any cast iron cookware unassigned to an inheritor in our family. We will fued more over the cast iron than the money.[:D]

T-Fal ain't that a Tiger term?[}:)]
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People actually cook in pans that are NOT cast iron????
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,Doug, you ol' rascal,,,,,,,,,your tighter than a bull's * in fly season [:D],,,,,,,hell, e/m me your address and I send you a super gizzo, whiz bang, slick glaze/puncture proof brand new one,,,[;)]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][8D][8D][8D]

That's funny, and while I appreciate your kind offer, this pan is kinda like your favorite old pillow. I respectfully decline your gift, and thank you.

I shall be shopping for cast iron. I really like it better, anyway.

Doug
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colt Super
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,Doug, you ol' rascal,,,,,,,,,your tighter than a bull's * in fly season [:D],,,,,,,hell, e/m me your address and I send you a super gizzo, whiz bang, slick glaze/puncture proof brand new one,,,[;)]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][8D][8D][8D]

That's funny, and while I appreciate your kind offer, this pan is kinda like your favorite old pillow. I respectfully decline your gift, and thank you.

I shall be shopping for cast iron. I really like it better, anyway.

Doug
    Buy yourself an old Griswold Doug, you wont be disappointed.

IMG_4922.jpg
    edited November -1
    Don't have the money for one of those beauties right now.

It'll come from Wal-Mart/China.

But, as things improve for me...

Doug
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colt Super
    Don't have the money for one of those beauties right now.

It'll come from Wal-Mart/China.

But, as things improve for me...

Doug
    You can find them a flea markets cheap!
    edited November -1
    I WILL be looking.

The wally world/china one is jist a stop-gap.

Thank you.

Doug
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    People actually cook in pans that are NOT cast iron????

Yeah, I heat Bearings in Oil in an Aluminum pan!!!
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    Problem I have experienced is ALL coated pans, and I don't care how expensive, the coating ALLWAYS ends up coming off.

I have had the same problem with women. It don't matter how many cloths they have on or how expensive they are , there coatings allways end up coming off. [;)]
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang!! All this talk about cast arn made me think of my ebelskiever pan. Haven't used it in years; gotta find it.

OleDuk[:)]
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    If I am cooking an omelette ,I prefer Teflon !
    I might cook a dozen per year .
    Otherwise all I have is cast iron that I have bought at yard sales .
    I like the older stuff .
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Picked up a Calphalon 8 quart stock pot with the hard anno in patches a little while back for a buck. It's thick aluminum and I'm planning to have it bead/sand/media blasted clean. I won't ever make pasta sauce or anything acidic in it. I figure boiling noodles or steam veg won't make me forget too much (no more than I already am [:D]). If nothing else it'll be my beater pot for camping or a pot to boil/soak gun parts.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOOD cast iron has been machined to a mirror finish- Cheap Chinese crap is a sand casting and rough. There is no way to season one of those. Bead blasting an aluminum omelet pan is going to give you a rough finish and the eggs are gonna stick to it. I use stainless for an omelet pan- and have good cast iron we bought in 1971 for frying things.
  • ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    Cooking in aluminum can make you stupid, I hear. Toss it and get a new one.
    Tom