In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

W signs REAL ID act

bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
Any thoughts on the recent legislation signed by W that complicates drivers license renewals and makes your drivers license a form of national id card?

Sounds like big brother can be an elephant or an *!

You dudes get lost now, ya hear!

Comments

• Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Sounds like big brother can be an elephant or an *!

And this surprises you because?

But hey, Big Brother is here to stay and we can all thank the GOP-dominated federal government for it.

And all I can say is, "Bush won - THANK GOD!"
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not necessary, but not that big a deal. We have always had a national ID; it's called a passport, and having one is 100% voluntary, just like having a drivers license is 100% voluntary.

cat.gif
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    chapp,

I'll remember you said it was no big deal when they pass a national firearms registry.

"No big deal... like a passport, having a gun will be 100% voluntary."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Requireing proof of citizenship to get a drivers license has nothing to do with a firearms registry. Is it your contention that a US passport is not a national ID? Because that was my point. Having a drivers license is not a right and you are under no obligation to get one.

cat.gif
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    chappsyny: There is a major difference here, which is that a driver's license is all but required to live the modern life. And you don't exactly have a right to live a primitive life, either, so you're really forced into this. It's only as voluntary as eating.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    chappsyny: There is a major difference here, which is that a driver's license is all but required to live the modern life. And you don't exactly have a right to live a primitive life, either, so you're really forced into this. It's only as voluntary as eating.

Well said, not to mention I had to provide it to get my driver's license in the first place. It would seem that the DL with photo would be a better ID than the birth cert. Another redundant time wasting hassle brought to you by a government that wastes everything.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree that it's not an ideal situation and will add time to what should be a quick license renewal. Just about every single person on this board has come out against illegal immigration and against issuing drivers licenses to illegals. It's fine to pay lip service to the idea, but how are illegals to be prevented from getting a license if no proof of citizenship is shown at the DMV? If you don't want to show a birth certificate then bring a US passport. You aren't being oppressed because there is no right to drive a vehicle, no matter how inconvenient your life would be without a license.

When you get a drivers license you are asking the state for permission to engage in an activity that is a privilege. A select few states, in their haphazard issuance of DL's to illegal immigrants have ruined it for everyone. Thanks to AZ, CA and a few other states this privilege is now going to cost you an additional 30 seconds every few years as you present your birth certificate along with the rest of your info for a renewal. If you don't like it then come up with another way to prevent illegals from getting licenses or get used to the idea of illegals having licenses in the first place.

cat.gif
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    It's more the national database thing that bothers me than the hassle, but remember that different states have different renewal periods for drivers' licenses. North Dakota is every 4 years. Arizona doesn't make you renew it until your 65th birthday. Some people will be much more hassled by this than others, because they will have to go to the DMV and wait in line for 36 hours once every 4 years.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bush won, get over it.........

</sarcasm>

Merc

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SLEEP.
    OBEY.
    CONSUME.
  • Options
    furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chappsyny
    I agree that it's not an ideal situation and will add time to what should be a quick license renewal. Just about every single person on this board has come out against illegal immigration and against issuing drivers licenses to illegals. It's fine to pay lip service to the idea, but how are illegals to be prevented from getting a license if no proof of citizenship is shown at the DMV? If you don't want to show a birth certificate then bring a US passport. You aren't being oppressed because there is no right to drive a vehicle, no matter how inconvenient your life would be without a license.

When you get a drivers license you are asking the state for permission to engage in an activity that is a privilege. A select few states, in their haphazard issuance of DL's to illegal immigrants have ruined it for everyone. Thanks to AZ, CA and a few other states this privilege is now going to cost you an additional 30 seconds every few years as you present your birth certificate along with the rest of your info for a renewal. If you don't like it then come up with another way to prevent illegals from getting licenses or get used to the idea of illegals having licenses in the first place.

cat.gif

Why in the world do I have to produce these documents EVERY time I go for renewal? As if I have suddenly changed nationality!![:(!] Communists!!! Lets give the guvmint MORE controll!!!!!!!!![xx(]
    I wish the South would have won.[:(]

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry
  • Options
    furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    SLEEP.
    OBEY.
    CONSUME.

This is what they want. Sad but true. And most people just fall right in and obey the TYRANTS that run this great land! Did we not fight a war against tyrrany once? I could be mistaken.

Actually, I'm surprised it took 200 years to foget the revolution and what this country was built upon. Normally, Americans forget these kinds of things in a matter of a week or two.

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by furholler

cat.gif

Why in the world do I have to produce these documents EVERY time I go for renewal? As if I have suddenly changed nationality!![:(!] Communists!!! Lets give the guvmint MORE controll!!!!!!!!![xx(]
    I wish the South would have won.[:(]

With the current system there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of illegals running around with drivers licenses. How would simply presenting the old license weed these people out when it came time to renew?

I'm still waiting for anybody to propose a way to keep illegals from getting DL's. Anybody? For all the whining about illegal aliens in this country people, much like the GOP seem reluctant to do anything about it. Talk is cheap. I'd settle for someone demonstrating how presenting a birth certificate at renewal time is in any way an infringement when driving is NOT a right. Driving a vehicle is not on the same plane as firearm use and ownership. There is no right to drive, no guarantee against infringement of any sort, and no guarantee that the DMV will get you in, renewed and on your way home in a timely fashion.

For the first time in years the GOP has taken an affirmative step to address one of the many facets of the illegal immigrant problem and still people bellyache because they may be delayed at renewal time. Maybe it will be inconvenient but until someone comes up with something better, that's how it is. Yesterday the same people on here whining about being delayed at the DMV would have been the first to join in the call for change if the topic of conversation were illegals with driver's licenses. It's sickening that those who spout off the most about rights and the need to address the problems with our southern border become hypocrites and blowhards when the solution affects them in any way.

If you have a way to keep drivers licenses out of illegals wallets then speak up.

cat.gif
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    lets consider this for a minute. all states have access to a database that list people who have outstanding warrants and such. so if an officer in houston swipes your license, they will know of you have a warrant in boston. since this system is already in place, its nothing new

making all the states use a standard format/layout for their license isnt a bad idea at all. easire to tell the fakes from the authentics and so on. and it doesnt harm anything so i guess thats not an issue

requiring more legitimate, not quite as easily faked documents to get a license sounds like a decent idea to me.

all in all, i think that people, includiong members here, are letting their paranoia get to them. this isnt going to change life for the average man any, save maybe a small delay to renew the license every FIVE years(which, btw, will probably average out to about 8sec/yr). people get all wrapped up in the government taking over our lives. get over it. i'll start worrying when i have to get a number tatooed on my arm/.....

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    lets consider this for a minute. all states have access to a database that list people who have outstanding warrants and such. so if an officer in houston swipes your license, they will know of you have a warrant in boston. since this system is already in place, its nothing new

making all the states use a standard format/layout for their license isnt a bad idea at all. easire to tell the fakes from the authentics and so on. and it doesnt harm anything so i guess thats not an issue

requiring more legitimate, not quite as easily faked documents to get a license sounds like a decent idea to me.

all in all, i think that people, includiong members here, are letting their paranoia get to them. this isnt going to change life for the average man any, save maybe a small delay to renew the license every FIVE years(which, btw, will probably average out to about 8sec/yr). people get all wrapped up in the government taking over our lives. get over it. i'll start worrying when i have to get a number tatooed on my arm/.....

In case you haven't noticed, a good number of powers previously relegated solely to the states (including issuance of driver's licenses) are now being directed by the Federal government. Montana overturned its "No Speed Limit" policy not because of any increased numbers of accidents or citations, but because the Feds threatened to withhold highway construction money if they didn't. If concern over ever-increasing, unchecked Federal powers as evidenced in the Patriot and Homeland Security acts is paranoia, then I am certainly one paranoid sumbiatch.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1

...i'll start worrying when i have to get a number tatooed on my arm/.....

Might be just a TAD on the late side by then KEV...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kev

people lose id cards all the time...what would be the obvious solution?...that tatoo or chip under your skin isn't that far away...it all makes perfect sense in the cause to avoid another 9/11...personally an oppressive federal government is already under my skin...yeah, i said it OPPRESSIVE

but then again, i'm just being paranoid

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    chappsyny-

You are a *-nuff said.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1

In case you haven't noticed, a good number of powers previously relegated solely to the states (including issuance of driver's licenses) are now being directed by the Federal government. Montana overturned its "No Speed Limit" policy not because of any increased numbers of accidents or citations, but because the Feds threatened to withhold highway construction money if they didn't. If concern over ever-increasing, unchecked Federal powers as evidenced in the Patriot and Homeland Security acts is paranoia, then I am certainly one paranoid sumbiatch.

The feds have been assuming powers that are constitutionally reserved to the states for a long time- this is nothing new, and most just assume let the fed do as it wishes, the constitution be damned.
    Most folk are *- like chappsyny.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Salzo; Nahhh...not really a *. Jacks have uses...drop one in a field with a bunch of steers..and he will drive off the coyotes.

This guy "chap" opened the gates...and is inviting in the wolves for the kill.....freedom and privacy are mere words in a dictonary to people like that.

We musn't address the borders..being open and all....and sure as hell don't give any credit to peace officers...who I expect can tell in a moment whether someone is a wet-back....No...we just force decent citizens to line up and take a national id card.

The government is NOT INTERESTED IN ILLEGAL ALIENS...they are only interested in total control over the last remments of freedom on earth.
    Enjoy your Fourth of July...all you "Sons of Freedom"......gag a maggot.
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SLEEP.
    OBEY.
    CONSUME.

this reminds me of a rather large,..lazy,..very hungry puppy i once had

th_P1010032.jpg
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a National I.D for 27years, it's called a CDL (Commercial Drivers License). Nothing new, just everyone gets to join the club now so BB can watch us all instead of just a few.[;)]

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    chappsyny-

You are a *-nuff said.

-Jimmy the cheese man

That's the best you can do? I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I've read some of your other posts. It's one thing to be a self reitous blowhard and it's another to try and address the problem that exists. When you have ANY ideas for doing the ladder feel free to post them. I have more respect for people trying to do something about a problem then sitting around cry babying about being held up at the DMV for something that isn't a right to begin with. WHAAAAAA... I have to show ID. WHAAAAAAAA.

cat.gif
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will step in and say this.
    As a member of FAIR we pushed very hard on our "Representatives" in Congress to get this legislation through.
    And you can be sure Bush and many others did not want this because it is a good start on border protection by making sure that non citizens that have no business here will not be given that valuable piece of validation that so many of us use as identification.
    Just last night on the news we learned that the administration tried to stifle the news that when Bush started talking about an amnesty for these rats that they came pouring in even larger numbers and when those that were caught by the BP were questioned they said they were coming because of the "Bush Amnesty Plan".
    So this was starting to become a political liability and they wanted to silence this.
    Well i live on a border state and i see very clearly what's going down.
    I want these people out of here and if it means that Juan and Juanita cant get a drivers license that's fine by me.
    You people better wake up and take a hard look at how Mexico is encouraging this BS and it is not in this nations interest even if it means you will be out a little more money to have someone cut your yard.
    Hey man here in Houston we have several flea markets that print out fake drivers license and Social Security cards every weekend for these cretins who dont give a damn about this nation but who just want to suck off the tit of the sow.
    I will do all i can to within legal means to stop this rape of our nations borders.

mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    chappsyny-

You are a *-nuff said.

-Jimmy the cheese man

That's the best you can do?
    No, I can do better. But you dont deserve it, *.

You have demonstrated on this thread, that you have absolutely no idea what you are speaking of, and have no regard for the constitution.
    The amount of poop you have spewed out of your * mouth is so tremendous, I wouldnt know where to start digging.
    Sometimes its best when encountering a pile of * poop, instead of trying to clean it up,it is just easier to say, "Oh I see a * has been here."

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    chappsyny-

You are a *-nuff said.

-Jimmy the cheese man

That's the best you can do?
    No, I can do better. But you dont deserve it, *.

You have demonstrated on this thread, that you have absolutely no idea what you are speaking of, and have no regard for the constitution.
    The amount of poop you have spewed out of your * mouth is so tremendous, I wouldnt know where to start digging.
    Sometimes its best when encountering a pile of * poop, instead of trying to clean it up,it is just easier to say, "Oh I see a * has been here."

-Jimmy the cheese man

After a quick search for some of your previous threads I did not find a single one where you provided a constructive solution to ANYTHING. Not one. You simply engage in whining and fantasy league politics while doing precious little for any actual cause. I hope you are a better musician then debater because your inability to address any of the points that have been mentioned in this thread makes you look ignorant. Especially when you resort to childish name calling instead of addressing the points that have been raised.

Put up or shut up, if you can. Lets hear your solution O defender of freedom! Do you have any ideas or do you just sit in your little room on your computer and whine about rights and freedoms without doing anything to further any cause? Ignorant blowhards who sit around congratulating each other on how pro-this and pro-that they are are more dangerous then the federal government could ever dream of being. You are long on talk and very short on ideas, as evidenced by your immediate jump to name calling. If this forum were 4th grade you would fit right in.

cat.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After a quick search for some of your previous threads I did not find a single one where you provided a constructive solution to ANYTHING. Not one. You simply engage in whining and fantasy league politics while doing precious little for any actual cause. I hope you are a better musician then debater because your inability to address any of the points that have been mentioned in this thread makes you look ignorant. Especially when you resort to childish name calling instead of addressing the points that have been raised.

Put up or shut up, if you can. Lets hear your solution O defender of freedom! Do you have any ideas or do you just sit in your little room on your computer and whine about rights and freedoms without doing anything to further any cause? Ignorant blowhards who sit around congratulating each other on how pro-this and pro-that they are are more dangerous then the federal government could ever dream of being. You are long on talk and very short on ideas, as evidenced by your immediate jump to name calling. If this forum were 4th grade you would fit right in.

Ohhh, I see a * has been here.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1

Ohhh, I see a * has been here.

-Jimmy the cheese man

Thank you for proving my point. You are an empty suit devoid of anything resembling an idea. Your inability to articulate a point on anything is a disgrace to the idea of freedom. At best you are a poser.

cat.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your inability to articulate a point on anything is a disgrace to the idea of freedom.

Look at the lover of big government chappsyny * wax on about freedom.
    You are a [:o)]. Go join the circus.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am tired of trying to get a straight answer out of you, Salzo. You have demonstrated that you are the Napoleon Dynamite of firearms. At best you are a poser, at worst a liar. Your beliefs are more a matter of fashion then conviction or else you would have long ago formulated a plan to advance your causes. Instead you have nothing. NADA. Zip. Nothing but a desire to be patted on the back for a set of beliefs that you can't even back up. You offer nothing to the discussion but personal criticism because that is all you are capable of. If you need help maybe I can recommend some books you could read. If not, go back to your playstation and keep pretending like you're doing something helpful to advance your causes because that's all you are doing... pretending.

I have no respect for a man of inaction and cowardice as you have demonstrated yourself to be. When you have the foggiest idea of how to advance a cause let me know. Until then I am through with your 4th grade antics.

cat.gif
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If you have a way to keep drivers licenses out of illegals wallets then speak up.

250_reticle_mlr.jpg

correctly applied,..I beleive this and the other offerings from our good friends in R&D can greatly reduce our alien problem.[}:)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Amen,2x's JustC

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
  • Options
    danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys crack me up.
    I have been screaming about this happening in Missouri & have even hired Lawyers to challenge the law in court, & not 1 person has said I back you up on this.
    chappsyny,
    its easy to see that you are a strong GWB fan, so I won't even begin
    to talk with you on that level, but how can you sit there & defend
    anyone that classes you & your family with the enemy, did you not show your birth Cert. when you first got your DL ??
    There are a few in the US today that didn't most are in their 80s
    & GOD forbid that they don't figure out how to make a bomb out of
    Arth. Med.
    I have a trucking co. & was told how the CDL would make our highways safer.
    Lets look at the facts,
    if you compare the # of serious truck wrecks in 1980 to the # of serious truck wrecks in 2004 you will find that if you use the averages per 100 trucks on the road that the CDL increased serious truck wrecks by over 1000%
    but the way the Feds show serious truck wrecks are down. but they
    take total wrecks as the final #
    their are over 1500% more class 8 trucks on the road today than in 1980
    But if you feel their accounting is correct, than by all means please let me sell you something. {car , truck , gun , house } anything
    If you feel the goverment has the right to control your every move , than you will fit right in with the new 1 world order.
    But instead , you say that nobody has a better idea, well how about this.
    If the people at the DL office had done their job in the first place there would NOT be a problem.
    Personally I will fight till the last dog dies to NOT allow this or any corrupt , lieing goverment to take away my Const. Rights.
    Oh & by the way, this new deal Violates 4 of your Const Rights given to you by True Americans { our forefathers}
    #1 Infringment of Privacy
    #2 Equal Protection
    #3 Denial free access
    #4 Property without due process of Law

So there you go big boy, its your choice stand up like a man or lay down like sheep, just don't expect the Men to not step on you when your laying there thinking how great & safe this new law makes you

Dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danlittle
    You guys crack me up.
    I have been screaming about this happening in Missouri & have even hired Lawyers to challenge the law in court, & not 1 person has said I back you up on this.
    chappsyny,
    anyone that classes you & your family with the enemy, did you not show your birth Cert. when you first got your DL ??
    Arth. Med.
    Lets look at the facts,
    if you compare the # of serious truck wrecks in 1980 to the # of serious truck wrecks in 2004 you will find that if you use the averages per 100 trucks on the road that the CDL increased serious truck wrecks by over 1000%
    But if you feel their accounting is correct, than by all means please let me sell you something. {car , truck , gun , house } anything
    If you feel the goverment has the right to control your every move , than you will fit right in with the new 1 world order.
    If the people at the DL office had done their job in the first place there would NOT be a problem.
    Personally I will fight till the last dog dies to NOT allow this or any corrupt , lieing goverment to take away my Const. Rights.
    Oh & by the way, this new deal Violates 4 of your Const Rights given to you by True Americans { our forefathers}
    #2 Equal Protection
    #3 Denial free access

So there you go big boy, its your choice stand up like a man or lay down like sheep, just don't expect the Men to not step on you when your laying there thinking how great & safe this new law makes you

Dan

I appreciate the fact-based response. My position has nothing to do with being a GWB fan. In fact, much of what he does angers me to no end (the guest worker program, among other things). My original position was that having a DL is not a right. It has never been, even if not having one would be very inconvenient to a persons lifestyle. If I believed that having a DL is a right then I would agree whole heartedly that having to present additional documentation to exercise that right is improper, just like I believe that the 4473, NICS checks and any sort of license to own or carry a firearm are improper. I don't even think that violent felons should be deprived their 2nd ammendment rights after released from prison. However, if having a driver's license is not a right but a privlidge then viewing this new requirement as an infringement becomes more difficult. Do I think it will be inconvenient at renewal time? Yes. Do I think this is on par with gun control as some people here seem to think? No. It all boil down to a perception of what is a right vs. what is a privlidge.

A better solution would have been to simply pass a law on the federal level invalidating all drivers licenses issued to illegals. Then if stoped or otherwise caught the illegal could be charged with driving without a license, fined/jailed, thier licese torn up and the illegal deported. Sadly this did not occur. I agree with the desire to keep DL's out of the hands of illegals. Unfortunatly thanks to states like AZ and CA that don't share my desire more drastic action was taken.

cat.gif
  • Options
    danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    simply pass a law on the federal level invalidating all drivers licenses issued to illegals. Then if stoped or otherwise caught the illegal could be charged with driving without a license, fined/jailed, thier licese torn up and the illegal deported

On this I AGREE 100%
    I will bring this up with my lawyers when I talk with them this week
    We do however need to get this new law repealed. in Mo it is law
    The Missouri Department of Revenue is required to implement the provisions
    > of RSMo 302.177.6
    that is the senate bill #1233
    Dan
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    so BB can watch us all.[;)]

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"

BabyBearis watching us?????[:o)][}:)]

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the talk about illegals, what a crock. It doesn't matter what kind of ID card the feds require to be issued. The fact is that if I pull over a bus load of illegals, Immigrations won't come pick them up! So all the back and forth about who's rights are what and who's being violated are a waste of oxygen time and space......... The facts are the facts boys and girls. LEO's have known it for years. I pull someone (an illegal),over who has no ID, I book'm they run them through the system and if nothing comes up on prints checks they are released. The feds WON'T PICK THEM UP...So the National ID plan is a hoax, if they don't mean it for using against illegals then who? Legals..uh..naw..they..wouldn't..would they? We'll see. Meanwhile the digging in the backyard goes on. Uh gee sir you sure use a lot of that 8" pvc with end caps, packing grease, yeah we just got another shipment of that in. Oh did you hear the place down the street just got taken through eminent domain so Donald T could build a new resort, all you poor folks to the back of the bus, we're moving you to the city....COLD DEAD FINGERS.[:(!]

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Making procedures more complicated and expensive for law-abiding citizens rarely makes any illegal behavior more difficult for criminals.

If a border state has a problem with illegals possessing a drivers license, then deal with it on a state level. Make their lives so miserable that they move to a different state. Then that state must take action. Must the federal gov't legislate everything?

danlittle,
    drop me an email via my profile and i'm with ya...i'm from the st.louis metro area

• Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danlittle
    You guys crack me up.
    chappsyny,
    Arth. Med.
    Lets look at the facts,
    #2 Equal Protection
    #3 Denial free access

Dan

I appreciate the fact-based response. My position has nothing to do with being a GWB fan. In fact, much of what he does angers me to no end (the guest worker program, among other things). My original position was that having a DL is not a right. It has never been, even if not having one would be very inconvenient to a persons lifestyle. If I believed that having a DL is a right then I would agree whole heartedly that having to present additional documentation to exercise that right is improper, just like I believe that the 4473, NICS checks and any sort of license to own or carry a firearm are improper. I don't even think that violent felons should be deprived their 2nd ammendment rights after released from prison. However, if having a driver's license is not a right but a privlidge then viewing this new requirement as an infringement becomes more difficult. Do I think it will be inconvenient at renewal time? Yes. Do I think this is on par with gun control as some people here seem to think? No. It all boil down to a perception of what is a right vs. what is a privlidge.

A better solution would have been to simply pass a law on the federal level invalidating all drivers licenses issued to illegals. Then if stoped or otherwise caught the illegal could be charged with driving without a license, fined/jailed, thier licese torn up and the illegal deported. Sadly this did not occur. I agree with the desire to keep DL's out of the hands of illegals. Unfortunatly thanks to states like AZ and CA that don't share my desire more drastic action was taken.

cat.gif

Those that would trade LIBERTY for SECURITY will soon have NIETHER,,,,,,
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    "Those that are too stupid.."....ect....
    All you smart guys...promoting the latest freedom destroying Big Brother Nazi ideas. Sickening. Not smart enough to realize..THE GOVERNMENT MADE THE PROBLEM...by spending more money for God's sake defending South Korea's and Iraq's borders...THEN OUR OWN....ALLOWING this flood of barbarians into this country...SO YOU WOULD GET ON YOUR KNEES AND BEG THE GOVERNMENT TO RESTRICT OUR FREEDOM EVEN MORE..!!!!

You won't wise up..till you are being marched into the camps. The Founders mean NOTHING TO YOU...enjoy your beer and weiners this Fourth of July...laughingly still called "Independence Day"....