In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help Identify this rifle

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
No clue what caliber, make or anything about this rifle. There is no visible markings in the gun or cartridge, except this one big number on the side of the reciever. The owner is stumped as am I. He is 82 and is partial senile.[V] I am handling the sale of his rather large collection of guns and any info would be a big help. His wife doesn't know where anything is as far as paperwork, but is locating it for me this week. She has to find the file. Thanks for any help.I will try to answer any questions you have. The case is a straight wall case and no markings on that either. Oakie

TG4.jpg
TG1.jpg
TG2.jpg
TG3.jpg
TG.jpg

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    spencer/hr/remington rolling block ?

edit: closer look it may be a wall hanger, looks cast not made to fire, that would explain the primer hit on a shell with a bullet

but i could be wrong
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    The firing pin regulator in the breach block indicates it might be a Remington Rolling Block made by Husqvarna ,,,,,,,,,,,,if so, the regulator help prevent the piercing of the primer and helped deflect escaping gases if the primer was pierced,,,,,,,

image.gif

doesnt remington have a fourth and fifth pin, not 3 ?

and mark them behind the hammer ?
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a Danish M1867 in 11.7x51R. The first 30,000 were made on Remington actions, then produced in Denmark under license.
    Oakie, any markings on the tang or left side?
    Look at the face of the breech block and see if there's two firing pin holes, one above the other.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm wagging a Military Remington No.1 Rolling Block-style that has been sporterized.. Most likely a Spanish made copy, very common import back in the day..The straight-walled case would be .43 Spanish Reformado..But the Danish was straight walled as well, so ??

Mother nature certainly gave it the full River Bottom engraving job !! Any markings on the tang or barrel have surely been eaten away.. Don't know about the 32, but it's not at all unusual for strange markings to be stamped on guns like this.. I think the shield on the forearm is there to cover the crossbolt found on this model.. Don't think the Danish had this.. The rear sight also rings Spanish bells for me..

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Spain/Ovid-Rem.htm
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Looks like a Danish M1867 in 11.7x51R. The first 30,000 were made on Remington actions, then produced in Denmark under license.
    Oakie, any markings on the tang or left side?
    Look at the face of the breech block and see if there's two firing pin holes, one above the other.

Okay, I will call the guy tomorrow. Thanks guys. The gun functions and has been fired before. The owner fired it one time and has the three empty cases as well as six unfired rounds.Like I said, he is going senile and is very confused and forgetful. I am handling the sale for him and his wife because i am a life long friend and they know I won't rip them off. I am not taking anything for helping them, even though they offered.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to add that this is the only gun in his collection that he is not selling. He wants to keep it and let it hang over his fire place as a memento of days gone by.[:)]
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google 43 Spanish Reformando. I have one in my collection. [:)]
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1