In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Delay in packages to troops

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
There's word going around that packages to the troops are being delayed and/or not delivered at all due to security concerns.
Anybody else heard that?
Stacey...Susie...Sgt. Maggie....any word on that?
Any of you active duty types able to contact someone to get the straight scoop?
I'm trying to send a package a week but if this is true, I'll stop.

Mudge the patriot

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the e-mail I got that I contacted Mudge about: "I don't know if you've been following the news about sending packages overseas, but what's happened is that the military is not delivering them. They're overwhelmed and additonally consider such packages to be a security risk. Someone who's not too friendly with the military might send something harmful. So right now my understanding is that packages mailed to GIs are not being delivered."

Let us hope this is not correct!
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not accepting packages marked "any servicemember" due to security concerns, but packages that are addressed to specific individuals are getting through. The largest difficulty they are having is with the volume of military material that is being shipped/and or airlifted it truncates the flow of mail. Also, once it arrives in Kuwait, many of the units are now operating out of a forward AO. With the three "B's" (beans, bullets, bandages) being the biggest concern mail will probably be flown forward on a once or twice weekly basis. Compound this with the packages being subject to random search for contraband the mail process will be slowed.

The package I sent my hubbie has still not made to him. Not to say it hasn't arrived in country, just hasn't made it to him. It will arrive, just no timetable.

***KATN!***
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What they have been saying is that the mail was delayed for a while after the war started (and the trek northward) because food & water & other supplies took priority. But now mail is getting through, just slower than it was before the war. Mudge, your package to robsguns just got through a couple days ago, I believe.

The "To any soldier" program has been stopped, ended, kaput, because of security concerns. If you want to mail a package, you have to declare its itemized contents, and you MUST have a specific soldier's name and address on the label or it will not go.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info....another one goes out tomorrow.

Mudge the patriot

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What can you tell us, msrobsguns?

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.