In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Motorcycle Trip

ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
edited August 2004 in General Discussion
Headed on a short (3 or 4 days) trip with the old man. Before I leave, I want to share a little pro-BMW anecdote. I'll be gone so I won't have to deal with the shrapnel on this one. [;)]

When I was getting new tires put on my bike at the Chandler, AZ BMW dealership earlier this month, I was talking to a salesman about BMW owners in general. He had sold a brand-new Beemer to a 66-year-old woman. Now, when I'm 66, I hope I still have the motivation to get on a bike and ride it. But the woman came back a year later and you'll never guess how many miles she had on the bike.

Was it 100, like you'd expect? Nope. 1,000 maybe seems reasonable for an old woman in a year, but that's not it, either. Even if you multiply those numbers together, you come up short of the 130,000 miles this woman put on her bike in 12 months.

Like I said, if I ever retire I hope I have the energy and motivation to put even a few thousand miles on my bike in a year, but this woman put over 10,000 on every month. Truly amazing.

And, with that, I'm taking off. Enjoy flaming Beemers sans any kind of defense! I'll be busy riding mine, in the meantime. [8D]

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pray that I am blessed with the health and mental sharpness to be able to do something like that.

Got 1300 miles on my tires so far this year and am loving every minute of it.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I like the BMW's, but I'm still planning on getting an R1 instead. You can hang back with the other beemer riders while I wet my pants seeing how close I can get to the 200mph mark[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I wish that I wouldn't have taken the conservative route with my first motorcycle purchase. It's a blast to ride. I love the heck out of it but now I wish I would have bought something that I can ride b*lls-out.....(like the R1 or the Suzuki GSX 1000).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ids, I hit about 155 on an R1 and wasn't even on the throttle yet. At that speed you're not riding b*lls out, they go back inside and hide[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    I was talking to a salesman about BMW owners in general. He had sold a brand-new Beemer to a 66-year-old woman.

Research has shown that this is the predominant target market for BMW motorcycles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    I was talking to a salesman about BMW owners in general. He had sold a brand-new Beemer to a 66-year-old woman.

Research has shown that this is the predominant target market for BMW motorcycles.

And they usually opt for the large sidesaddles that will hold the golf clubs and a decent stock of brie and crackers[:o)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Sorry but I'm not buying the 130,000 miles.

I ride a lot, and people I know ride a lot more, and I've talked to some BMW riders who ride an enormous number of miles, but none who EVER rode 130,000 miles in a year.

To accomplish this the lady would need to average 356 miles each and every day. 7 days a week, 365 days per year. Rain or shine or snow. Miss a day and you need to ride 700 miles the next day to make up for it. Miss two days and you have to ride 1100 miles the next day or 490 miles three days running to catch up. Day after day, week after week, month after month.

It makes a good story but I don't believe it for one second.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lowrider, it's only 355.92, that's a little more feasible[:o)]

Was this on one Beemer or was she replacing them on the way? Haven't seem many BMW cars make 130K without something going horribly sideways under the hood. I'd be a little edgy riding across the country on a bike that was on borrowed time[:p]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe she put it up on a treadmill and used it for her exercise bike! Don[}:)][:D][}:)]

"I would not mind being the last man on earth just to see if all those girls were telling me the truth"
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Lowrider is right.I don't believe it either.At 50 miles per hour 7 days a week w/out ever missing a day would be her average.

Don't believe all that you hear.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably got a "metric" odometer on it 130KM or 81,000 miles (still impressive @ 1562 miles a week).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I was visiting my cousin for a wedding in Ohio. Got to talking with a guy who had stopped on his bike by Lake Erie. Seems he was at the very tail end of a three month trip. A retired exec who decided to "just do it". Three sets of tires, he said.

The best ride? In Alaska, the road between Dawson and Tok.

Kind of funny; I like motorcycles and traveling, and am visiting a place hundreds of miles from home, and in a brief ten minute interval, meeting someone who just finished doing what I'd love to do.
  • Options
    familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    Was this on one Beemer or was she replacing them on the way? Haven't seem many BMW cars make 130K without something going horribly sideways under the hood. I'd be a little edgy riding across the country on a bike that was on borrowed time[:p]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

KJ - my (limited) experience with the bikes is that they are the exact opposite of the cars - reliable. The highest mileage bikes I've seen are beemers.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • Options
    FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL Lowrider is right. Just another urban legend,,, started by the BMW crowd,,J/K. I ride the heck out of my bikes and could not put up that kind of milage if I tried,, heck it would be almost impossible in a car..

cobbbacklogo_med.jpg
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW 130,000 I've had my HD for 20 years and only have 300,000 on it. and thought that was alot. Gotta be BIG TIME BS or she put it on a lift and ran the crap out of it with a gas feed line to a 50 gal drum.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, if she was 66 it could be possible..retired nothing to do but try to break a bmw milage record[;)].. my hat is off to her if it's true but i find it a little hard to swallow[:)]

dennis
  • Options
    edited November -1
    130k on a Beemer is nothing. I've ridden 'em with over 150k miles and they run just like they were new, with no major work being required in the interim. I still haven't figured out what BMW was thinking when they started making cars. It's like two entirely separate companies.

As to the retiree putting on 130k in a year...if you figure 400-mile days with a day off from riding every week or so, that's really not that bad. Make a list of everything you want to do when you are retired and finally have time for it all. Is one of them "ride a motorcycle all over the country for a year"? If so, 130,000 miles isn't that much of a stretch, especially if you spend that first year of retirement getting your riding muscles (aka butt) into shape.

Far-fetched? Sure. Impossible? Heck no. And if you were going to put 130,000 miles on a bike in a year, a BMW would be the way to go, for reliability and comfort.

By the way, our brief trip went off without a hitch. We found a really nice new road to hit in the Black Hills, I won $5 on 50 cents in one pull of a slot machine, and I almost doubled my $50 at the poker tables. About 900 miles in 3 days, so not a long or hard trip but a fun one nonetheless. Exactly what I needed before I head east. [8D]
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to agree with Zero if "nothing is impossible" as my dad used to say is really true. Unfortunately my dad never met my first wife. This is a great story but sit back and reflect guys. Over 350 miles a day for 365 is a bit much. I mean 350 isn't a problem until about day 37! I don't think Lance could do it on a BMW. She would need at least one day off a week for maintenence, therapy, and to soak her butt in linseed oil.

Now maybe if she was on a CBX!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Zero: Is 130K in a year impossible? Certainly not. Do I believe this old bird did it? Hell no!

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I checked on snopes and there's no mention of it. It must be a new legend.

Possible.....yes

Probable.....He!! NO

I'd have to see her receipts for the approximate 13 sets of tires, 26 oil changes, and other maintenance she'd have to do throughout the year, before I'd believe it.

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boy, is this fun. [:D]
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this tale puts me in mind of the story about the gal that rode her bike over the cobble-stone road.

she said--

--

--

"I'll never come that way again."

"all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten" Robert Fulghum

anyone who says "nobody needs a full auto" has never been in front of a brown bear charge
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    66 years old, how would you like to be that seat[:0].[xx(]

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry....Don't buy that one. I rode my 75 Beemer to work every day for 3 years and a lot on the weekends. Still only put 90,000 on it. And you know, as a HOG driver, I hate to admit this but....NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

As for you "crotch rocket" drivers....150-200 mph? Truthfully...what have you actually accomplished when you do? "I went 175mph out on US-90." So?
    All due respect but that's endangering more than just yourself and it's downright STOOOOPID! [xx(][:(]

Mudge the cruiser

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mudge: I'm with you on driving fast in that sense. The kids who go 150 on a bike do it in a straight line. I have so much more respect for someone who can properly take a corner at 90 than someone whose bike can go 200. Not to even mention that they have a bike that is built for taking corners at 100+ and they don't know how to ride it. Who cares what your bike can do when you can't even control a Huffy properly?

Crotch rocket punks don't know how to ride and don't even like to ride. They only want a bike so they can get chicks. The thing is that it apparently works for 'em. Go on eBay sometime and look for the cheaper crotch rockets (or even the pricier ones for the spoiled kids). You'll see a lot of "French army rifle" listings: never ridden, dropped once.

Personally, I'd love to have a GSX-R1000 or a 1000cc Ducati (whatever model number they are this year...999? 996?), because sometimes I corner harder than my R1100RS likes and I scrape a little boot on the ground. I'd never let a passenger on the crotch rocket, I'd never pretend to tour with it, and I'd never drag race or pop wheelies with it. (Well...not often, at least. [;)] But definitely no passengers.)

PS: Thanks for admitting that your Beemer was reliable. I've intentionally left all jabs at Hogs out of this reply. [8D]
  • Options
    Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad is 72 and rides a dresser XS1100 about 30,000 miles a year up here in Wisconsin. I bought him a new tire for his last birthday. 130,000 miles in one year in Arizona? Possible.

joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also possible is that I misheard "30,000" or even "100,000" as "130,000", but the story stirs the pot way better with the higher number. [:D]
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah Dano, I rebuilt 2 back in '79 to resell then bought a new '80. Still have it. The longest 1 day I ever did was 300. Sure, pretty meek but with no fairing or even a windshield it about wore me out. Sure was no problem with vibration though! I wish now that I would have bought a new '82. With the facrory fairing and bags I could have lasted another hundred. Oh well...

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.