In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Night sights

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,368 ******
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
i was womndering if anybody has an opinion as to what night sights are the "best" i will be putting them on a beretta elite II. i have looked at PT, meprolight, trijicon, etc....just dont know who to believe....thanks
nick
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Going to put some tritium night sights on my ol' pistola.

Anyone here have opinions as to either of these?

Trijicon
    or
    Meprolight

Thanks!
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always run Trijicon, no experience with Meprolight...interested to hear some opinions myself.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the mepros on my kimber, do not like them as much as the trijicons I have on several of my other pistols.
    The mepros just don't seem to stand out that well to me, sort of muted.
    Tijicons I like a lot, good light at night.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisStreett
    I've always run Trijicon, no experience with Meprolight...interested to hear some opinions myself.

Ditto
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had both, both are good, I prefer the Trijicon just because.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a set of Meprolight Bar/Dot night sights on a pistol that I preferred to the tradition three dot night sights we have from trijicon.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which pistola?

quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I had a set of Meprolight Bar/Dot night sights on a pistol that I preferred to the tradition three dot night sights we have from trijicon.

Meprolight has "Bar/Dot" sights? I'll have to look those up and see if they're anything like P-T Night Sights.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I install several sets of night sights a week. I wouldn't worry much about brands. Look at Ameriglo Pro sets and Spartan Operator as well as Truglo TFX Pro. These have large bright dots on the front that really work great. The Truglo sights are fiber optic as well as tritium so they glow day and night.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    I install several sets of night sights a week. I wouldn't worry much about brands. Look at Ameriglo Pro sets and Spartan Operator as well as Truglo TFX Pro. These have large bright dots on the front that really work great. The Truglo sights are fiber optic as well as tritium so they glow day and night.
    Thanks for your input! Of those, which is the best value for your dollar, in your opinion?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been wanting to try a set of VTAC fiber optic/tritium combat sigts.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/category-s/1840.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Thanks for your input! Of those, which is the best value for your dollar, in your opinion?
    . I like both so just pick either. The firer optic/ tritium is very bright day or night and that's whit I have on my carry gun.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Trijicons that are over ten years old and still glowing pretty well.
    On the other hand, I had a set of Mepolights that were quite dim after just a year. I sent them back and they told me "tough darts". Didn't even send the old ones back.
    My vote goes Trijicon.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    If you store them in the freezer they will last longer. ...or was that the oven? .....
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive had trijicons on my carry gun for a couple years now....I like them.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Which pistola?

Meprolight has "Bar/Dot" sights? I'll have to look those up and see if they're anything like P-T Night Sights.

They did years ago. I had them put on a Sig 228. Very quick sight in the dark, just put the dot over the bar.

ml21210_zpsgskwltp1.jpg
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Regardless which brand you choose, get & use a 200+ lumen light so you don't wind up plugging the meter reader.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

ml21210_zpsgskwltp1.jpg

The one I got is little different. The rear sight on mine has two dots and the bar like the one pictured. And the dots are orange. From my looking P-T Night Sights was playing loose with tritium and got shut down.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like the idea of DOT THE I. it looks to me that it would be a quick acquisition to make. but then again i'm not much of a pistol shooter.
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ones I've liked best over the years are Trijicons. They are not the brightest, especially at first. But think about WHEN you need night sights......it is in the dark! When in the dark, do you really want a very bright object facing you when you need to face a threat? It also seems to me that the "burn rate" of the Trijicon night sights seems longer, and they do not quit working as fast as other sights. As far as the "pattern" of the glowing parts, whatever you use, use it on all the night sights.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +10 Thought we don't shoot at stuff we can't see, I don't need no stinkin night sights if it is coming right at me I should be able to hit it.

quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Regardless which brand you choose, get & use a 200+ lumen light so you don't wind up plugging the meter reader.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, after a bit more reading, I decided to go with these. And I suppose if I don't like them, I can always get different ones. [:)]

http://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/products/glock-classic-tritium-sets?variant=7554824129
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I favor the Heinie Straight Eights. I like one glowing dot on top of the other, very fast to aquire - at least for me![:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You will like those . Use blue locktite on the front sight screw.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trijicon-12 years.
    Others-?
    Not sure the fiber is a good idea if the front sight is visible from in front of you....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The fiber optic part only works in sunlight.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fiber optic part only works in sunlight.

not truglo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fiber optic sights are simply plastic tubes that gather ambient light and are only effective when there is a good bit of light. They do not glow at night but the tritium vials set in the sights do. I can not imagine how fiber optic sights would be a detriment in a self defense situation. Just my opinion and I have them on the Glock 27 I carry every day. Truglow fiber optic / tritium.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking at the attachment of the current front site, it's not the hex nut, like in some videos I've seen. Is there a special punch required to get it out?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just use a punch and lightly punch it out. It's like a u shape with a wedge in the center. Use a punch about the same size as the inside base of the sight. You're just trying to push the whole sight out. I'm a summing you have standard Glock plastic sights on your gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just use a punch and lightly punch it out. It's like a u shape with a wedge in the center. Use a punch about the same size as the inside base of the sight. You're just trying to push the whole sight out. I'm a summing you have standard Glock plastic sights on your gun.
    yep. Thanks.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was suckered into trying my first set. It was a Truglo and by set, I
    mean just a front sight for $50. The dot is great during the day but extremely dull, but present, at night. The base seemed to be a poor fit, also, and needed Dremel work. It quickly fell out and got staked and JB welded in with complete success, although a bit ugly. Are the Truglos that dull or were they sold after several years?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Truglo makes both fiber optic sights and combination fiber optic and night sights. Sounds like you got just a fiber optic. And if it was the right part for your gun you should not have a dremal tool.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No the part was labeled for my SR9c. Their dovetail looked fine but the sight must have been a reject,of some sort, and would not fit,either way. It was in a counter top,shoe box, with other gun brands. It does glow faintly, in complete darkness. You must not have dealt with this @&!? junk.
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meprolight
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My concern is that the tritium illuminated fiber optic, if visible from the front, could become an aiming point for an adversary.
    If that's not the case, forget it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got them installed. They glow great. The rear sight fit pretty tight into the dovetail such that even lube didn't noticeably help. But after much tapping and pounding it went in and I got it aligned well. Blue locktite on the front threads.

I'm happy.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same experience as this except I never contacted Meprolights. quote:Originally posted by tomh.
    I have Trijicons that are over ten years old and still glowing pretty well.
    On the other hand, I had a set of Mepolights that were quite dim after just a year. I sent them back and they told me "tough darts". Didn't even send the old ones back.
    My vote goes Trijicon.