In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handgun for the nightstand

sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
I finally bought a nightstand and am trying to decide which handgun to put in the drawer to compliment the Remington 870 under the bed. I live in an apartment, so overpenetration could easily be a big issue. Here are my options:

S&W 66 6" .357
Ruger P-89 9mm
Springfield 1911 .45
Makarov
Kel-Tec P-32
Taurus PT-58SS .380

I like the idea of a revolver, but I don't like the fact that the only one that I have larger than .22 LR has a 6" barrel. (Maybe I should just break down and get one of them S&W Model 13's from SOG?) I also like the idea of an auto, especially a 1911, but I hate the idea of my SS Springfield flopping around in a drawer. I guess I could pick up a Charles Daly or a Ballester Molina to substitute. (Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into buying a new handgun?)

So, which would you pick out of the group?

Comments

• Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Put the 1911 in a rug and keep it in the drawer.My nightstand contains ( at the moment) a bernadelli 380, a Series 70 government model Colt, A Smith 2" Model 19, Ruger Vaquero in .45lc, A
    Ruger Super Blackhawk & a navy model Colt .44 repro....all this to compliment the Winchester 18' bbl marine 12 ga. in the closet.I need a bigger safe.....

If it ain't broke-it ain't ours!!!
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a pretty substantial nightstand.

Something else I thought about doing to protect whatever firearm ends up in the drawer is cutting down a rifle-sized BoreStore to fit and glueing it in as a liner.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not so much which handgun, as to what "ammo" you will use. My nightstand handgun is a Ruger blackhawk 357, so I vote for the 66. But that is to compliment my 12 ga.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger P-94(.40s&w) in the nightstand and a Glock 23 close at hand. Ruger is a quality gun with out a hefty price tag.
  • Options
    Short TraderShort Trader Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote for the P89 with magsafes or glasers if your worried about the gun getting scuffed up in the drawer and over penetration.

But, if you need me to twist your arm, you should go buy a 4" .357 of your favorite flavor to stick in there for the sake of simplicity

Buy low, short high...
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too vote for the Ruger P89. Who cares if it gets scratched it's so dern ugly!

No seriously get a revolver no reason to worry about mag springs wearing out. Preferably not the Taurus.

Opinions are like Ah@les, everyone has one.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger P-89 would be my choice.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    My wife has a Colt Magnum carry .357 when I work nights - I usually put my Colt .380 on my side when I'm home (and the shotgun under the bed). I figure if the Alarm don't work and the 2 dogs sleep through an intrusion and I miss - She is now a Red belt and can protect me from the idiot who try's it.....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    My wife has a Colt Magnum carry .357 when I work nights - I usually put my Colt .380 on my side when I'm home (and the shotgun under the bed). I figure if the Alarm don't work and the 2 dogs sleep through an intrusion and I miss - She is now a Red belt and can protect me from the idiot who try's it.....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm Hmmm, I could up my membership level by posting twice?

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm Hmmm, I could up my membership level by posting twice?

• Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, a cop told me that you've got to assume a nightstand gun may be needed when you've been woke out of a sound sleep. Do you really want to fumble with a semi-auto, or just point and shoot? He recommended a revolver, then said, "Don't tell the sheriff I encouraged this."

Pass on the tradition, teach a kid to shoot.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drobs--yes, but it's discouraged

I live in an apartment too. Aside from my favorite shotgun that I like to keep within arms reach, there is the S&W 686 (.357). It is loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs with the blue tips. Good stuff. Much safer for apartment dwelling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't understand the 'fumble with a semi-auto'. My P89 has one in the chamber with the safety off. All I have to do is grab it, point, and shoot - 16 times.

Buy low, short high...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry idsman, was making a point that I see this happening a lot. I doubt it's a simple error but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest whichever weapon you're most familiar with. ie. The one you can operate with your eyes closed. Our nightstand guns are the same ones we carry. Also, why would you put the gun in a drawer? Every second you lose getting your hands on it could mean the difference between life and death.

Mudge the armed

ps. The gun on the nightstand is only to hold 'em off 'til you get to the shotgun.

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I've changed my mind. You should definetly check out the "THUNDER FIVE". Five rounds of your choice of .410 or .45LC in a revolver would be an awesome little night stand gun. I'm going to check them out myself.

Buy low, short high...
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drobs;
    quote:I too vote for the Ruger P89. Who cares if it gets scratched it's so dern ugly!
    Blasphemy WILL NOT be tolerated.

My choice would be a Ruger SP-101 3 1/8" barrel .357 with Glasier Slugs.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    TheguncounterkidTheguncounterkid Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took a Thunder-5 on trade a few years back for an old chevy. Talk about a monster, but an outstanding weapon to say the least. I sold it not long after (They made a 45-70 cyl for it as well), and I still wish I would have kept it for my nightstand. I use a mossberg 20ga 18.5" with a taclight. blind and blast.
    -Kid

www.acebuyers.com
    GB... Land of the Free, Home of the *POOF*
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .40 Md 27 Glock Try some of thoes Blazzer shot shells for the 1st 2 then back it up with .180 HP

Helping keep America free: One gun at a time.
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a .357 snub revolver just for this purpose. I later decided to go with my 1911. I would have to lock up my .357, my son could find it, and get in trouble. I keep a 20 lb. spring in my 1911. There is no way he can pull the slide on it. It is hidden, and he doesn't know where it is. If you have a 1911, show your wife how to rack the slide, and see if she can do it. I would bet 9 out of 10 wouldn't be able to.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    tesla85tesla85 Member Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just get a sawed off 12 guage to go in your nightstand.

When they come to get your GUNS, make sure to give them the AMMO first!!!
  • Options
    hobbisthobbist Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My choice will be S&W 686 (.357) loaded with the Glaser Safety Slugs blue tips and12 ga.
  • Options
    Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, personally I have a "customized" J.C. Higgins model 20 deluxe with the POWer Pack choke tube. I say "customized" because I had a new mag. tube made for it, it now holds 8 rounds of buck shot, threaded the same on both ends a Remington 870 mag. cap fits right on. I like this one because it has the shell cut-off switch so I can have the mag. loaded, gun cocked, safety on and only use this one for the back up. For the hand guns I have a Taurus 445 .44 Special 5-shot (DAO) and a Glock 27 .40S&W. The Glock has a grip sleeve and extended mag. release plus the mag. extention for my pinky finger. Whatever you use, make sure you can use it if you need to. Have it checked out or if you can check it out yourself, a gun you are not comfortable with is more dangerous than the person you might use it against. I have no kids, there are none in the house, but if this is not the case for you think about security and how easy it would be for some one else to get to the gun before you do. "I hate the idea of my SS Springfield flopping around in a drawer", do you have a lot of Earthquakes there? How much is it really going to flop around? You could always get one of those fast access gun safes with the finger tip combo pad and not have to worry about that any more. I hope this has helped and if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can help you with just ask.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.

If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've suggested this before, but if you attach a holster to the back of your nightstand it will be less likely to be found by prying kids' eyes and won't flop around at all until needed. If you use velcro, I recommend still attaching the strip to the back with a screw or two, because that glue can loosen over time. Then velcro a holster, like one from a fanny pack, and you're set. I've also used an inside the waistband holster by using the hook to attach the gun to the bedframe under the sheet & blanket on my side.

Frankly, I've also been thinking of getting one of those clocks that opens to reveal a gun compartment, to hang by my front door. Maybe I'll ask for Christmas. You could also place one of those in the bedroom or at the top of the stairs, etc. etc.

Life NRA Member
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I was thinking almost the same as Tesla.....

Break off one of the nightstands legs, put a sawed off pumpgun/shotgun there instead =o)

I'd however choose a silenced .22LR, no need to wake up the neighbours =o) But I'm at least glad, that I don't have to choose - breakins are really rare here.

Regards
    Peter E Jeppesen
    Greenland.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger P-89,or Springfield 1911A1.Make sure you also have a good flashlight as well.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The flashlight is the last resort. Gives you away. Just snap a
    lightstick and heave it into the end of the next room and it will
    highlight the perp and not your position that easily. Best handgun
    is the one you are used to, no matter what. Personally I like a
    18" double 10 ga and a .45 1911. Just a matter of choice. If you are
    a appartment dweller cant help you in your choice.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife keeps a Taurus mdl. 85 in her nightstand. She is a small women with small hands and I have yet to find a .357 that she can comfortably shoot. Personally, I like the 85 in 38 spcl. And she is more comfortable with a revolver. Get whatever you are comfortable with.

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot, either!
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    The S&W 66. Why ask which?

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I myself go with Beretta 96FS (.40S&W) loaded with Golden Sabers. And under the bed is my first choice, pistol-grip Mossberg 500 12 ga., loaded with #6 shot. At 5 yards max range, small shot is just as lethal as OO buck.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just have to ask, why is it EVERY time someone mentions "nightstand"
    20-30 folks chime in with an arsenal list that would make a dealer jealous. are we really that paranoid? i would like to hear how many members of this board have actually have had an intruder & foiled the act with a firearm?
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Are we really that paranoid?" In a word, YES. In a sentence, WE may not be, I am.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.

If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?