In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Well, it DID eventually start...

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
On Thursday I rode my MC to work for a special event in the evening. When I came out the starter wouldn't work. Lights came on but nothing when I pushed the starter button. But my MC is old and also has a kick starter (which I haven't used in 10 years).

Switch on, half throttle, slowly push halfway through stroke and then smartly step though. VROOM lugga lugga lugga... First kick. I am the man.

Charged the battery.

Yesterday there was a bike show at the ballpark and I rode out. Tried to leave but once again nothing happened when I pushed the starter button.

This time it didn't start on the first kick. Or the 20th. Took about 25. I am no longer the man. More than a little embarrassing for a fat old man to be kicking a Harley repeatedly. Got home and took a serious look. Positive battery cable bolt just a tad loose. Likely not making good contact. Hopefully fixed now.

Once running it does run good. Engine is so small by today's standards but a cam, performance carb and some polishing of the intake and exhaust ports really woke up that little motor.

The new ones are so pretty and powerful but I've had this one since it was new in 1979 and I can't imagine getting rid of it at this point.

standard.jpg
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    After hitting that dear on mine one kick would put me down. So my Kicking days are over.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice ride Doc!
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first bike was a 1965 Sportster (kick only) That SOB was nearly impossible to start when it was cold and the kick back launched me over the seat a lot more times than I care to remember. Once it warmed up however, all was good in the world and I really loved that bike, my old bones couldn't take the process now. [:D]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could park on a small hill.. 2nd gear is your friend
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    The old Shovelheads had soul.
    The new ones, not so much.
    (I currently have a 2011 Ultra)
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 82 Shovel has a kicker as well, hard to believe many these days have no idea what they even do. Wanna melt a snowflake? Come over here boy, show me how tough you are. Start this antique for me. Lol
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your brake is on the right side so I'm guessing that's a '75 or so?
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1979 Harley, isn't that a AMF machine ? [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    1979 Harley, isn't that a AMF machine ? [:D]

69 - 81 were the AMF years....
    edited November -1
    Yep, late 82 the bowling ball folks were finally gone.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just finishing up the restore on our bought new in 1979 FXEF
    SHOVELS ROCK.

No posers on Shovels .
    PS in my crazy days I came out of the bar on a rainy night. Low battery so I Kicked and kicked - no fire. 20 -30 times then my brother came over and turned on the kill switch.
    Shoulda quit drinking sooner[8)]
    edited November -1
    There's an art to kicking old HD's...as with hand cranking an old tractor...lessons often learned the hard way.
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roswellnative
    You could park on a small hill.. 2nd gear is your friend

3rd & 4th gear work well if no hill is available. Don't ask me how I know! [:I]

Nice old scooter, Doc. AMF or not.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dual front disks, one on each side. Only a couple years for that.

It is a 1979 FXE I bought new in July that year.

The AMF models get a bad rap but they saved HD from extinction and this bike has been pretty good to me.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...