In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22LR Ammo and Lighted Tunnels

MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
We've all experienced, lamented and cursed the current .22LR availability situation. So far, I've seen episodic and anecdotal evidence the proverbial worm may be turning. Over on the auction side of the house, the gougers offering hideously overpriced 40 gr. CCI MiniMags (my universal "go to" round and the one I track) increasingly are seeing their lots go unbid on. Others who are offering less-than-hideously-overpriced rounds (but still overpriced by any measure) are moving the goods. Yes, it's a free market economy and sellers may post their prices wherever they want and bidders are free to go after the goods...or sit on their wallets. But, there seems to be a trend developing. Locally, some of the big box stores are seeing larger shipments of .22LR come in. Sometimes they don't even sell out for a day or two. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel. Then again, may just be the next train comin' through, too.

Comments

• Options
    donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local Dunhams is keeping ammo in stock for half a day now.

Small victories
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If everyone would just stop buying and bidding on any 22LR that is not correctly priced (CCI Mini no more than 8C a round) this whole over priced BS would come crashing down.

Just give it a few weeks of no one paying stupid prices and watch how fast things come back.

The problem has never been the sellers.
    In a free market they have a right to ask whatever they want.
    It is the buyers not exercising their free market right of refusing to pay high prices that has created this problem.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the smart ones are selling at these still stupid high prices
    why not take 55/1000 and sell and 10 times as fast as the guy asking for 65/1000
    not like the margins arent there!
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the heck will everyone * about when the .22 ammo is sitting on the shelves.
  • Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the shortage ends, it will be a long time before it happens again. Their's so many people that normally kept 1 or 2 bricks on hand that now has 20 or 30 sitting in the closet that they will never shoot. I just can't see it happening again. Of course that's just my opinion.
    Jw
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter
    What the heck will everyone * about when the .22 ammo is sitting on the shelves.

"Durn blast all this .22 ammo taking up all the shelf space ... wish they'd leave room for _________"

[:o)] [:p] [:)] [:D] [}:)]
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter

ask doc......................
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    why not take 55/1000 and sell and 10 times as fast as the guy asking for 65/1000

The margins really aren't there since there are the "extraordinary" costs most of the "high-priced" resellers have. Remember, most of them are buying at retail (including paying sales tax), then re-selling online.

It takes time to drive around to stores, "striking out" and not finding any at most stops, and even when they do find it available, the listings, communications, packaging to resell on-line all takes time.

The "price gougers" don't have it as easy as many of you seem to think.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I must be the dim bulb in the box 'cause I'm still sittin' on a case and a half of Federal 22 LR.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MemphisJim1
    We've all experienced, lamented and cursed the current .22LR availability situation. So far, I've seen episodic and anecdotal evidence the proverbial worm may be turning. Over on the auction side of the house, the gougers offering hideously overpriced 40 gr. CCI MiniMags (my universal "go to" round and the one I track) increasingly are seeing their lots go unbid on. Others who are offering less-than-hideously-overpriced rounds (but still overpriced by any measure) are moving the goods. Yes, it's a free market economy and sellers may post their prices wherever they want and bidders are free to go after the goods...or sit on their wallets. But, there seems to be a trend developing. Locally, some of the big box stores are seeing larger shipments of .22LR come in. Sometimes they don't even sell out for a day or two. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel. Then again, may just be the next train comin' through, too.

It's just so hard to know what sort of tunnel, or train, we are dealing with here ...

giphy.gif

tunneltrai_y7bv39l8.gifwile-e-coyote-train-tunnel-2-o.gif

Thomas.gif
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    what are ya'll talking about what shortage..what am i missing[:D]..ive been in a coma for 4 years Oh know what is happening
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Still haven't seen a single box on the shelf here at any big box store, sporting goods store, or gun store in at least a year.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    Reading the thread title, I was imagining some fool shooting lights in a tunnel. Guess I wasn't too far off.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe, i wasnt thing of resellers, but you are probably right. the reselling bubble will not last, esp given the transaction costs of shipping, commission and such

quote:Originally posted by competentone

The margins really aren't there since there are the "extraordinary" costs most of the "high-priced" resellers have. Remember, most of them are buying at retail (including paying sales tax), then re-selling online.

It takes time to drive around to stores, "striking out" and not finding any at most stops, and even when they do find it available, the listings, communications, packaging to resell on-line all takes time.

The "price gougers" don't have it as easy as many of you seem to think.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every store around here is still getting 10% of pre-Sandy Hook supplies from distributors. It is immediately snatched by vultures and a few folks desperate to find some. It never reaches the shelf. Carton (never more than one arrives) is opened at the sales counter and quickly disappears.

I see no evidence suggesting and end to the shortage any time soon.

I have never * about this situation. I have commented on it.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...