In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

basement wall

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
got one section of old basement concrete wall (built around 1905-10) that is a little porous...no big cracks or settling and there was a doorway concreted in that went out to an old roundtop shelter with concrete steps outside next to wall leading down...the shelter was broken in and covered about 35 years ago...like to coat this area inside the basement with some product that will soak in and bond and seal this area...need recommendations on what best to use...digging down on the outside would be a difficult project I would like to avoid....thanks

Comments

• Options
    ripcord55ripcord55 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out DECO water proofing products.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I have thought about doing that to one of my basement walls.
    My only fear is that the moisture will get trapped halfway through the concrete and cause more damage to the wall than the water seeping in does.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To seal it I would think you would have to seal the outside wall, that is the point of failure.

***Caution! I am not an expert***
    [:D]
    RLTW

• Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Saw some old brick foundations and walls in San Francisco that had been fiberglassed over. That idea was about earthquake protection, imagine it'd work for water proofing too.

Talk about expensive and labor intensive though ... YIKE$
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kilz and it protects against mold as well.[;)]
  • Options
    800fthi800fthi Member Posts: 196
    edited November -1
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems the only way you'd be able to say you did it right is to dig it out and seal it and if possible a french drain. I'm wondering if I have a similar issue. My basement walls are block and finished with that old 1950's knotty pine T&G panneling. I can't see the block on the inside. Outside the ground covers all but the last course. I can't get that panneling anymore. It looks like my walls are bowing in. I mentioned it to a masonry contractor one day. He said if i'm not sure to leave it alone. So I am.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    anything you try from the inside, should include a sump pump
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to seal from inside,best to seal on outside and keep water from getting behind seal and cause damage to wall and cause inside seal to fail.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a fellow in emporia Kansas advertises a guaranteed deal by injecting bentonite clay (drilling mud)somehow...need to check this out but its about 100 miles away...location does not lend to easily digging a trench on the outside...I am going to dig in a French drain in front of our lake cabin soon to solve a problem