In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

safe question

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
since the topic has come up at least twice now in the past two days...

When picking out a safe, do you consider how you will get into it after a fire? Most of the ones I see have all plastic knobs.

Can someone recommend a good one that is value priced, with that consideration in mind?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just got a new Cannon safe and put one of the Silica Gel Dehumidifier in it.

Question is will that be enough or should I put something in lioke a Golden Rod or Mini Dehumidifier ?
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no experience with silica gel packs in a safe. I have a large Champion "Triumph" model with a "golden rod" in it. Works great and electrical utilization is minuscule. Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to keep changing out those packs. Put a Golden Rod in it and be done with it. The Golden Rod is not a dehumidifier either it just keeps the moisture from condensating. My Golden Rod has been running in my safe since 2001 and I've never had a rusted gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    You have to keep changing out those packs. Put a Golden Rod in it and be done with it. The Golden Rod is not a dehumidifier either it just keeps the moisture from condensating. My Golden Rod has been running in my safe since 2001 and I've never had a rusted gun.

Not packs its a canister that can be out in the oven and recharged.
    but I was thinking about putting one of the rods in anyways just to be safe [}:)][:D]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    but I was thinking about putting one of the rods in anyways just to be safe [}:)][:D]

Replaced or recharge a canister it's the same difference it's maintenance.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of these along with a golden rod in mine. I like these because when they get wet you just plug them into the wall overnight and they're done.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Liberty-Safe-Mini-Dehumidifier/1550141.uts?productVariantId=3369889&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=03612020&rid=20&gclid=CKCE46GtzdYCFRbafgod7IQAkA&gclsrc=ds
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Replaced or recharge a canister it's the same difference it's maintenance.

True, but recharging is a lot cheaper then replacing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    I have a couple of these along with a golden rod in mine. I like these because when they get wet you just plug them into the wall overnight and they're done.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Liberty-Safe-Mini-Dehumidifier/1550141.uts?productVariantId=3369889&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=03612020&rid=20&gclid=CKCE46GtzdYCFRbafgod7IQAkA&gclsrc=ds

thanks Toad, Ill check them out.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Every safe environmental condition, humidity level, placement, etc etc is unique.

I have probably 75-100# of high grade commercial dessicant packs. (I get them from work.)

Any dessicant pack can be re-used, metal can or not.

You bake them in the oven at 125-150* for an hour or two.

Difficult "maintenance," Uuhhmmnn No.

They work, without electricity, I might add.

Having said that, I do not believe you can go wrong with a "Golden Rod."

As has been stated here, not a dessicant. Works by raising the temp. Inside the safe.

Like Uuhhmmnn, a light bulb.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67

thanks Toad, Ill check them out.

I have and use the same widget. It has performed very well. Had it 5 years or so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    Every safe environmental condition, humidity level, placement, etc etc is unique.

I have probably 75-100# of high grade commercial dessicant packs. (I get them from work.)

Any dessicant pack can be re-used, metal can or not.

You bake them in the oven at 125-150* for an hour or two.

Difficult "maintenance," Uuhhmmnn No.

They work, without electricity, I might add.

Having said that, I do not believe you can go wrong with a "Golden Rod."

As has been stated here, not a dessicant. Works by raising the temp. Inside the safe.

Like Uuhhmmnn, a light bulb.

got ya, don't have a a ele plug in the closet for the safe but will be putting one in so i can add the rod.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never had corrosion form on guns in my safes in 31 years. For the past 17 years I have lived in a very warm and humid environment. Fancy dehumidifiers won't hurt but I doubt they are really necessary. I have a 2 pound bag of salt hanging in each safe. A couple times a year I take them out to thoroughly dry them and I let the safes stand open a couple hours to air out. Like I said, so far it's worked fine. I have detected any moisture in the safes or rust on the guns.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    I have never had corrosion form on guns in my safes in 31 years. For the past 17 years I have lived in a very warm and humid environment. Fancy dehumidifiers won't hurt but I doubt they are really necessary. I have a 2 pound bag of salt hanging in each safe. A couple times a year I take them out to thoroughly dry them and I let the safes stand open a couple hours to air out. Like I said, so far it's worked fine. I have detected any moisture in the safes or rust on the guns.

Dang, Doc!
    Reusing salt is a sign of frugality gone awry![:D]
    Prolly not a good idea in a flood zone, but it beats a bag of saltines in rice all day long.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,379 ******
    edited November -1
    I have been using the same can of crystals for well over 10 years with no rust issues in my super tall 30 gun Liberty safe.

I did buy a golden rod when I bought the safe and it is still in its original package, hanging on a wall somewhere.

I gave this quite a bit of thought when I decided against the golden rod. I did not want to put a hole in the safe for the electrical cord. I wanted a water\air tight safe. That's just me, using my noodle!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    renewable-rechargeable-dehumidifier.jpg?x12845

This one removes moisture from the safe,without using heat to raise the temp in the safe. When it is wet,take it out of safe,plug in to recharge. There are several different makers of this same model. We chose the 'Remington' brand due to local availability. We have had it several years and still working great. Good luck.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    My safe, a Cannon Wide Body has an internal electrical plug-in (two) and a USB port.

While I've never used it, it is nice to have.

I may hook up internal lights in order to find stuff when I open it.

If I don't go to battery mounted units. I've seen some nice ones.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    My safe, a Cannon Wide Body has an internal electrical plug-in (two) and a USB port.

While I've never used it, it is nice to have.

I may hook up internal lights in order to find stuff when I open it.

If I don't go to battery mounted units. I've seen some nice ones.

(Snicker) Making a "Safe Space" for someone?(Buddy, after those fajitas)...
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can dry out those silica gel units by microwaving them every now and then...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put in the goldenrod and it will keep on working