In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Home made grave stone.

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
My friend died penny less in June 2012 of alcoholism. His family barely afforded his burial. And had no plans for a stone. So I made him one. IMAG0304_zps61cac20f.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure he would appreciate it, nice job.

He died young at 50.
    RLTW

• Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    That's real nice. I knew Rick well.

Well done, my friend.

Dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    That's real nice. I knew Rick well.

Well done, my friend.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I forgot A Coffeyville person was on here.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice

I would sure appreciate it when I am gone and I am sure your friend does as well.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    It looks good but I'm a little confused. Is it just the center part that will be placed? And is that fiberglass? Its hard to tell on my phone.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My condolences on your friend. He might not have had money, but he was rich in friends.

Good job.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear it, but we had the same birthday if that is jan 19th, sorta puts life in perspective when you see younger people passing every day.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Commendable work and a fitting tribute.
    Nice work Fastrat.
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some things in life that are worth more than anything you can buy. I'll bet Rick would think this is one of those times....
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be honored to have that as a head stone. You did well Friend[;)]
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job. Can my family contact you some time in the future?[;)]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good on you !

I'm sure he's sayin' THANKS Buddy !

Sometimes... A friend never stops being a friend.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    time well spent. you're a good man.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very nice , your a true friend do such a thing , I am sure its comforting to friends and family he is remembered in such a way

I had a older brother who died when he was about a month old for many years his grave went unmarked and a couple states away , about 10 yrs before my dad passed on. My mom , dad and I placed a tombstone on the grave ( or close it was in a old church grave yard with many unmarked graves very poor area and few could afford head stones back then ) it was a sad and great moment if that makes sense , gave some recognition to him .
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good of you.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cement and a plack? You should make a lot of them and sell em on Gun Broker and ebay. I'd be your first customer I need two for some cats I got buried.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice memorial...
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is good enough for anybody. Well done.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's really nice, GREAT Job!
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    My condolences on your friend. He might not have had money, but he was rich in friends.

Good job.

+1
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    sorry to hear it, but we had the same birthday if that is jan 19th, sorta puts life in perspective when you see younger people passing every day.

Woulda' thunk so many of us! My birthday is also Jan. 19th! It's also the same date for my favorite 3 too. They are; Robert E. Lee and Dolly Pardon![:p]
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    That is a stand up thing to do.

On a side note, I heard Kasey has a cousin that makes tombstones out of plaster......[:D]
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by M1A762
    That is a stand up thing to do.

On a side note, I heard Kasey has a cousin that makes tombstones out of plaster......[:D]

Yep...I know someone that needed your help some time back.

It looks really nice! You did a wonderful job.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    fastrat---l value friends more than family...You and your departed one chose well
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    It looks good but I'm a little confused. Is it just the center part that will be placed? And is that fiberglass? Its hard to tell on my phone.

Looks to me like it's formed concrete with a plaque inlaid in the middle. The forms are yet to be stripped.

Very nice if you ask me!!

[^][^]

That's about all I need. Don't need no expensive thing!

Thank you. On my phone, the forms made it look like it was made out of fiberglass. The center plaque is excellent work. It won't look out of place in even the nicest cemetery.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That headstone speaks of your friendship, and will make as nice a marker as any.

Well Done.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,227 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is it made of?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    What is it made of?

This is the website that I got material & how to info from. But I ran into a problem in that I could not find the lettering tools I needed. The only ones I could find at anywhere near a reasonable use it once price were WAY too small. (Note that the link provided in the website to obtain letters is only for SMALL letters) Then while on vacation in Branson Mo. I stumbled across a place that makes the 1/4" thick laser engraved granite plates for $40. They could put anything I wanted on it and the size was perfect. Rick was a mechanic who loved small block Chevy's and playing guitar. He wasn't religious at all that I was aware of, so I went with his interests. So along with his name/dates, that's what I had put on it. But the short answer is Type S Masonry cement.
    http://www.apcrp.org/Headstone Making/How to make a headstone.htm
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Cement and a plack? You should make a lot of them and sell em on Gun Broker and ebay. I'd be your first customer I need two for some cats I got buried.

CATS..................??
    what a F'ing to say in a thread devoted to a great friend !!!!!
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    My friend died penny less in June 2012 of alcoholism. His family barely afforded his burial. And had no plans for a stone. So I made him one. IMAG0304_zps61cac20f.jpg

Sir.., your friend is saying "Thank You Man, i love ya"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did "refining" work to it yesterday. Making it look much better. Basically mixed up a small amount of remaining masonry mix and filled holes, evened up surfaces. Looking much better now. The dark spot on the granite are just moisture. IMAG0305_zps8895656f.jpg
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rest well Rick. Alcoholism is bad Juju. You show great respect for a man who was wonderful but just couldnt kick it. I thank you for your post. It keeps me alive today.

Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat

Sir.., your friend is saying "Thank You Man, i love ya"

I think that's what I'm saying to him.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz

CATS..................??
    what a F'ing to say in a thread devoted to a great friend !!!!!

LOL
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took my small backhoe unit and dug a small place in a neighbors rocky yard for their old cat last winter that died after 14 years of companionship...when lady had trouble breathing the cat would give notice and husband would grab the oxygen..i think that cat was a great friend..they placed a homemade concrete pad with cats name there ...after cat died another moved in and took over like it was planned...