Quiet...

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Do you like quiet? I'm talking about near silence. So quiet you can hear a lone fly buzzing across the room. Complete tranquility.

Some people need noise in their lives it seems. Put them in a place with complete silence and they go nuts. I am not one of those people. I can sit in a quiet room and just enjoy the silence.

Sometimes out here in the country I can go sit outside at night and hear a car 10-15 miles away in the distance. It's so quiet you can hear a lizard or a mouse move in the grass.

I love the quiet like that. Tonight is one of those still nights; I can hear an owl way off in the distance and a touch of breeze through the leaves every now and then. I just walked outside a minute ago and I can even hear the cows slowly walking across the pasture more than a quarter mile away.

I know some people (my sister is one) who absolutely cannot stand this kind of silence. If they walk into a silent room they will start making noise just to hear something. They'll turn on a radio, or a TV...or a fan. Silence just drives them crazy.

One time my sister came to visit; said she actually couldn't sleep because it was "too quiet". (????) Imagine that. After the third night she was a wreck. Her and her husband had to go get a room in town, and even there was still too quiet (no fire engines, traffic and loud noises all the time). When it came time to go they said they'd have loved to stay longer, but not a team of wild horses could have kept my sister from heading to the busy airport! They're from NYC, go figure.

I love sitting in a quiet room, just enjoying the peace and tranquility. It's amazing all the things you can actually 'hear' in the quiet. Equally, I love being outside, like up in the mountains, when it's quiet, or around here. Inside or outside, it's all good. I enjoy every minute.

For the last couple of minutes the only sound was the sound of my fingers on the near silent laptop keys typing this post. That, and the click of my pocket watch opening to check the time.

Love the quiet [^]

Comments

• peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I also love the quiet.
    I have a wall clock that ticks kinda loud and chimes on the hour and half hour. I love the sound of that clock -- when all I can hear is that clock, I know that it is quiet.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l bought a low mileage 2010 FJ Cruiser back in Jan. lt has 400AMP optional speaker in the back for the radio. lts been on exactly 2 times. Gawd l just love hearing those pistons running while driving. Anything else is just static and unwanted noise [^]
  • EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since it's summer there is NO quiet here. Stream, frogs, crickets, cows, cars over hill and 1/4 mile away.
    Inside ya got fridge, fish tank, air conditioning,,, whatever.
    But I walk around the farm alot in the dark and in dead winter with a pipe in the snow my footfalls sounded like a giant was out there. Everybody should here the quiet of snow falling once.
    Two hours before daylight settling into a treestand and hearing a leaf fall through branches is awesome. A critter in pitch black can be hair raising at times.
    The house 1/4 mile over is a preacher and the church van doors brought me out of bed a few times in winter, sounded right outside.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would give anything within my power for ten minutes of silence. Due to a misspent youth I have tinnitus much like most of our forum members. I never hear silence.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have tinnitus, so I never hear complete silence. But I enjoy sitting out on the back porch at night and listening to the night sounds, watching the bats fly, watching the flashing lights of planes overhead, and my favorite is listening to the trains on the busy double track about 4 miles away.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like I need to hear some of your quiet

wish I could live somewhere like you do

enjoy [^][^][^]
  • BarzilliaBarzillia Member Posts: 21,923 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too many frogs and bugs outside around here to actually call it quiet, unless it's winter.

Then it's the wind.
    "Anger has two children -.hope, and courage." Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

"Und es wird nicht hineingehen irgend ein Gemeines und das da Greuel tut und Luge,
    sondern die geschrieben sind in dem Lebensbuch des Lammes."
  • BarzilliaBarzillia Member Posts: 21,923 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too many frogs and bugs outside around here to actually call it quiet, unless it's winter.

Then it's the wind.
    "Anger has two children -.hope, and courage." Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

"Und es wird nicht hineingehen irgend ein Gemeines und das da Greuel tut und Luge,
    sondern die geschrieben sind in dem Lebensbuch des Lammes."
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy quiet, but mostly I enjoy the absence of TALK!
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's sad there is no quiet in my life at all. I'm around noise all the time at work at home living in the city. Probably why I'm up until 3-4 in the morning. That is as close to quiet as I can get. If you can experience quiet you are a lucky person.
  • milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 50's we moved from south Ga. to Tenn. and daddy went to work in a "Bug Dust coal mine"

First time I went into the mine with dad and another man named Mutt Perkins (Who later died when a rock fell on him) I was scared crapless by a couple of things. One was the total darkness without our Carbide lights and the other was the quiet when we stopped to eat in the mine.

When not talking it was so quiet you could hear your heart beat and hear and feel the mountain move. The sound of a drop of water when it fell was more of a splat it was so quiet.

I honestly think that over time, that kind of silence would drive a man crazy.I know it would me.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    +3 on tinnitus Pit crew on Drag cars then Vietnam next to 8" self propelled and 175's then many years on working on Loud Machinery. [:(]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,741 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A quiet, secluded setting is hard to beat. Like living in a place like you do, or maybe being on the white sandy banks of a river that is lined with towering pine and oak trees.
    What's next?
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 21,920 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My hearing is so bad it's quiet everywhere.

Outside my house is really quiet. A stage whisper is loud.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,797
    edited November -1
    All I can hear right now is the purr of my computer's cooling fan and the steady click-click of my heart's mitral valve. I hope to hear both for many more years. [:D]

Clouder..
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2012122119152_Elmer_fudd.jpg

[^][;)][:D][^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,821
    edited November -1
    I HATE quiet! I sleep with a fan on. Power goes out I'll wake up, most time I can't sleep till the power is back on.
  • rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I would give anything within my power for ten minutes of silence. Due to a misspent youth I have tinnitus much like most of our forum members. I never hear silence.

That's is SOOO true, especially in the woods waiting for deer - all I can hear is a high pitched whine, and always worry I won't hear them coming....
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Same for me James.
    I do love it as quiet as I can get it though.[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a piece of land out in St. Stephen SC, when I go out there early in the morning I can here cars coming for miles away. My wife heard it and said "it is loud out here". Of course I reminded her she could actually here it versus where we live on a main road you can't hear the droning of mowers and AC units it is just white noise.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Love the quiet, but it's all relative what with this damnable ringing I hear constantly.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Member, Moderator, Sr. Moderator Posts: 51,178 ******
    edited November -1
    ...the quietest place I've experienced was eating lunch inside the gas chamber at 3:00 a.m.,when I was a C/O.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,741 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Same for me James.
    I do love it as quiet as I can get it though.[:)]

But that's our kind of quiet which really does not detract from a quiet place in "our" world. [:)]
    What's next?
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite time in this "city" where I live is in winter after dark on the day of a heavy snowfall. Everything and everybody comes to a complete halt. No one out on the roads and the snow absorbs all of the other noises. Last winter I was outside one night about 9 pm after a heavy snowfall and all that I could hear was a train blowing crossing. Knowing the area and the rail crossings and how loud that it was, he was about 10 miles away. Heard him all the way from one end of town to the other, then nothing, total silence, no wind and about 15 degrees. Was sure cold when I finally made myself go back inside but it was worth it.

Right now, my four grandchildren are here in the house, ages 8,7,4, and 4. Silence would be good about right now.[:D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 31,180 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wish the tinnitus would allow me to enjoy the true silence experiences of my youth. That tuned acute hearing that allowed me to hear my body live and to hear true silence.

The slow rhythmic sounds of my respiration, my heart beating in my chest and blood flowing throughout my body as I lay still in the hay field. Senses tingling, waiting for any sound, any hint of movement. Staring at the square foot of rich earth in front of my nose, seeing a whole new world of insects, seeds, growing grass and ants, all silent in their own little world.

There were also the distant and muffled sounds of my dear mother swearing she was going to tan my hide when she found me. How was I supposed to know the pie was for her church group?
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 18,755 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I miss quiet , I have to sleep with a fan running on high to help drown out the ringing buzzing in my head .
    Mine started when I started working construction all the equipment and running jack hammers days on end , I remember asking about not being able to hear when going home at night. started with the turn signals and such sounds were gone. the boss just told me don't worry about it you will get use to it [:(!] and I was too young to realize it meant my hearing would be damaged . now it drives me crazy some nights .
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,632 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the reasons I love to hunt so... Quietness of the deep woods.

Madame Nature is noise enough.
    Trying to explain that kind of quietness to someone who has NEVER experienced it...
    Is a very tough thing to do.
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    From the Tinnitus thread - this is interesting. Hearing aids may help some of us by masking the ringing sound.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17956798

Point is, that ringing is internal ear damage not actual sound. The hearing aid will not make the ringing any louder. By improving how well you hear actual external sound, the ringing may be masked.

A way to find out is see a doc and look into it.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

There were also the distant and muffled sounds of my dear mother swearing she was going to tan my hide when she found me. How was I supposed to know the pie was for her church group?
    You too ? [:D] [;)]
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Randy,
    You cut timber and drove log truck too many years, you can't hear that good.[;)]
    W.D.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 11,311
    edited November -1
    Here in Nevada it isn't hard to achieve that tranquility. If you are in one of our towns, a VERY short drive puts you in some beautiful but empty surroundings. I love it. Sling a .22 over your shoulder and go take a long walk. That'll lower your blood pressure. [:D] You don't have to shoot anything and disturb the quiet. I just never go out into the big empty without "something". [:D]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    the constant screaming of tinnitus will test ones sanity...