In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Officier, Homeowner wounded

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    But what happened with the suspicious person at the correct residence?
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wasn't a raid, they were responding to a suspicious person call with out an exact address, only a block number was provided and description of the residence.

"Three officers were responding to a report of suspicious person, but instead went to the wrong home in the 1500 block of Boulderwoods Drive, near Bouldercrest Road, Cedric Alexander, director of public safety, said late Monday. Officers weren't given a street address, but went to a home matching the description given by a 911 caller, Alexander said."

IMO calling it a raid insinuates something that did not occur based on these articles. What apparently occurred is not nearly a blatant error as a pre-planned SWAT raid or search warrant conducted at the wrong address.

another story on it.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/police-officer-shot-dekalb-county/nnT9N/#st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    matched the description, a lot of houses in my neighborhood look very much alike

and.........When the officers went around the back of the house, they found the back door and screen door were unlocked, leading them to believe that someone had broken in.

another sure sign of a break-in, door unlocked,,doesnt say OPEN, Freaking unlocked...

i leave my back door unlocked,

a blue car matches the description of a blue car if thats the only info given. and folks wonder why so much disdain for LEOs...they are supposed to be professional highly trained people

"well ralph that looks like the house, Ok fred lets do it"

glad these occurrences happen rarely

you think that family will not have a bad taste for cops now????
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like cops.did their job...i assume the dog killed belong to the homeowner...
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot can go wrong real fast. Homeowner asleep in bed and forgot to lock back door. Wakes up to a shot , grabs the shotgun and shoots the first object that appears in the dark.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "A lot can go wrong real fast. Homeowner asleep in bed and forgot to lock back door. Wakes up to a shot , grabs the shotgun and shoots the first object that appears in the dark."

And that's the way it should be. Well, it would be better if the homeowner actually identified his target BUT there's not always time for such particulars.
    My grown kids don't even enter my house w/o announcing themselves even if I'm expecting them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont always lock my back doors...need to make it a law that cops can go around in the middle of the night checking doors in neighborhoods and leave a citation if your doors are unlocked, oh and kill your dog if it barks at them
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    glad no one was killed, both sides can learn something from this, police get the right address before acting, home owner paint your house a crazy color.[^] my myopic.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    i bet he gets charged/arrested for something,they will find something in their favor.

home owner needs to own them, with a good lawyer
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There will be no charges unless the owner was a convicted felon that couldn't possess a weapon. Hopefully the home owner will not sue for damages, emotional distress blah blah blah
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leaving your back door unlocked in that part of town is just stupid.

Fulton & Dekalb have a long history of raiding the wrong house. They hassled a guy I used to work with. I think Jackie Barret was Sheriff at the time, she got busted on illegal donations at some point but skated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Leaving your back door unlocked in that part of town is just stupid.

Fulton & Dekalb have a long history of raiding the wrong house. They hassled a guy I used to work with. I think Jackie Barret was Sheriff at the time, she got busted on illegal donations at some point but skated.

whats stupid is going to the house because It LOOKED like it might be the house...
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anyone of us here, upon hearing a commotion from the dog, will grab a gun....then hearing shots as someone just fired some shots....will be shooting at the intruder......and you will be the "bad guy" in the eyes of the police...how farkled up is that?
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EXCESSIVELY Farkled Up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have 3 chihuahuas that sleep on top of my couch at the front door, with the shades up, if they all 3 start raising hell something or someone is outside, usually another critter, but have seen the 2 legged kind also, better than a lot of alarm systems

they will wake you up
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just posting from Carolina shooters forum, here in NC,

dont know i wasnt there

Catfish said: #8593;

what's the story? My network has WRAL blocked as a malicious website.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/2-shot-in-gunfire-exchange-between-cop-homeowner/

A guy I work with just got a call that a relative of his was shot last night in Atlanta. This is all over the national news at this point. And at this point ... the police and news are all saying "we don't know who shot who."

This is all coming from one side obviously. I am looking forward to hearing some version of events from the officials involved with the investigation. But....

My work buddy just talked to the homeowner's father. The homeowner did not have a firearm when he went to the back of the house. They had not gone to bed yet. They were watching a movie. Took a movie break. Heard voices outside the back door of the house which was still unlocked since they had not gone to bed yet. As he is opening the door slowly, cops rush at him and into the house. The dog did what any good dog does at this point. The dog goes at the police. Cop pulls his firearm, shoots the dog dead, shoots the homeowner in the leg, and shoots himself in the leg. All this in one spray of bullets.

I am hoping the investigation indicates all of this correctly in the national news. And I am hoping it gets done quickly. This scenario is one where the police can quickly clear things up. Everybody that was at the house should have the same story. And the evidence should show the truth quickly. The quicker the police put the truth to light, the better things should be.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i agree,sue the poop out of them and then move.and thank your lucky stars they were trained to shoot the dog first. it goes to show you can,t fix stupid. my myopic.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one word ! "DISCUSTING" [xx(][xx(][xx(]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    It wasn't a raid, they were responding to a suspicious person call with out an exact address, only a block number was provided and description of the residence.

"Three officers were responding to a report of suspicious person, but instead went to the wrong home in the 1500 block of Boulderwoods Drive, near Bouldercrest Road, Cedric Alexander, director of public safety, said late Monday. Officers weren't given a street address, but went to a home matching the description given by a 911 caller, Alexander said."

IMO calling it a raid insinuates something that did not occur based on these articles. What apparently occurred is not nearly a blatant error as a pre-planned SWAT raid or search warrant conducted at the wrong address.

another story on it.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/police-officer-shot-dekalb-county/nnT9N/#st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

You are correct. It was not a raid.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    A lot can go wrong real fast. Homeowner asleep in bed and forgot to lock back door. Wakes up to a shot , grabs the shotgun and shoots the first object that appears in the dark.
    That's how it'd happen here too,,
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seems like it is a crime now for a dog to protect his home and no matter what KILL the dog