In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Youthful offender, or felon?

JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
Teen gets branded a felon for life for robbing man of 7 cents

.By Zachary Roth
Senior National Affairs Reporter

By Zachary Roth | The Lookout

A 15-year-old from Syracuse, Anthony Stewart, was sentenced to 2 to 6 years in a juvenile detention facility by Judge William Walsh of Onandaga County for a robbery in which the teenager took a mere 7 cents.

Walsh said he issued the harsh sentence because Stewart declined to plead guilty, choosing to fight the charges. A jury found him guilty of first degree robbery.

The victim had identified Stewart and a friend as the perpetrators, Walsh said, "and yet you still denied it," the Post-Standard newspaper of Syracuse reported.

"Well, that cost you," Walsh added.

The other teenager, Skyler Ninham, 16, pleaded guilty in July and was sentenced to 1 to 4 years in prison.

Stewart and Ninham carried BB guns that looked like real pistols when they knocked a 73-year old man to the ground--Stewart punching him in the face--and took all the cash he had on him, prosecutors said. That amounted to 7 cents.

Stewart's lawyer, Laurin Haddad, had pleaded with Walsh to treat her client as a youthful offender, so that a felony conviction wouldn't remain on his permanent record.

"For 7 cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told the Post-Standard.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/teen-gets-branded-felon-life-robbing-man-7-200811947.html

What is it they say?: "If you can't do the time ..."

[:(!]

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is a felon for committing a violent robbery, what does the 7 cents have to do with it?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He committed an armed robbery and used violence in addition to that. He should have gotten twenty to life. The amount should not enter into it. Neither should his plea in court.

The punishment should fit the crime. Not how much you benefited from the crime or how much you pissed off the judge.
    quote:What is it they say?: "If you can't do the time ..."
    Judge Turk in Danville sentenced a young man to twenty-one years. The young man said "But Judge Turk, I can't do twenty-one years". Judge Turk said "That's perfectly all right, son. You just do as much of it as you can".
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Violent felon. If it were $700 instead of seven cents no one would even be questioning this. The young man committed armed robbery and if his victim had died of a heart attack or from hitting his head on the ground the SOB would be a murderer.

The fact that the "reward" from the robbery wasn't near what the robber more than likely expected shouldn't be considered any form of mitigating circumstance.
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He wasn't sentenced because of 7 cents. He attacked another human being at gun point. Would have been better to charge him assault & battery with a weapon and see what his sentenced would have been then.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mongrel1776
    Violent felon. If it were $700 instead of seven cents no one would even be questioning this. The young man committed armed robbery and if his victim had died of a heart attack or from hitting his head on the ground the SOB would be a murderer.

The fact that the "reward" from the robbery wasn't near what the robber more than likely expected shouldn't be considered any form of mitigating circumstance.
    +1
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He HIT a 73 year old man. The amount of money is irrelevant. He's a VIOLENT offender...and now a convicted felon.

Unfortunately, he'll now be violent his entire life.

We're screwed either way.

WHERE ARE HIS PARENTS?????? [V]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His parents are raising all kinds of hell. They were part of his problem due to their lack of upbringin skills.

The amount has nothing to do with it. See ya later junior.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    I have seen incorrigible sociopaths as young as 9 years old, but they are rare. At 15, they are everywhere. Maybe that's why, at 15, a juvenile charged with a felony can be tried as an adult in Texas.

The amount of the theft is irrelevant. The judge believed this young man is dangerous and acted accordingly.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the press is pushing this "7 cents" approach but that ignores one simple fact - it presumes the kid is psychic and knew the victim had only 7 cents on him. That is of course not the case.

I don't know which is worse - the press figuring people are stupid enough to fall for the headline or that they're right and people do fall for the headline.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In any case, three cheers for the judge! Makes me regain faith in the justice system...a little bit.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Shame that the old guy was not the "Old Iron worker, Golden glove and Marine" who beat a punk for trying to rob him
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These two teens will now be felons for the rest of their life and rightfully so. Impossible to correct their life/actions now into productive citizens.
    Truely sad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    In any case, three cheers for the judge! Makes me regain faith in the justice system...a little bit.

I think you give the judge too much credit. He told the kid he was getting that much time because he refused to plead guilty.

If he had sentenced the kid for what the kid did instead of for causing the judge an inconvenience, I would grudgingly give the judge a little credit. As it is the judge is just another egocentric demityrant showing us how powerful he is and why we must defer to his desires.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    These two teens will now be felons for the rest of their life and rightfully so. Impossible to correct their life/actions now into productive citizens.
    Truely sad.

Wal-Mart always needs people to push shopping carts in from the parking lot....
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    The amount of the "take" means nothing. The violence of this crime is what concerns me. He should have been shot in the act of committing the crime, if there was any justice.

But hopefully prison will give him another chance. Yes. I'm an optimist.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

I think you give the judge too much credit. He told the kid he was getting that much time because he refused to plead guilty.

If he had sentenced the kid for what the kid did instead of for causing the judge an inconvenience, I would grudgingly give the judge a little credit. As it is the judge is just another egocentric demityrant showing us how powerful he is and why we must defer to his desires.

James, that's a little harsh, don't you think? The result is a good thing. Why claim the judge is egocentric? A demityrant? He's admitting to punishing the kid harshly for the KID'S egocentrism, and the fact he LIED--not that it was "inconvenient". My point is the kid is becoming a felon for being violent.

Why so harsh on the judge? If the judge had said he sentenced the kid harshly because he was stupid and only got 7 cents, I would have STILL thought the judge did a good thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    James, that's a little harsh, don't you think? The result is a good thing. Why claim the judge is egocentric? A demityrant? He's admitting to punishing the kid harshly for the KID'S egocentrism, and the fact he LIED--not that it was "inconvenient". My point is the kid is becoming a felon for being violent.

Why so harsh on the judge? If the judge had said he sentenced the kid harshly because he was stupid and only got 7 cents, I would have STILL thought the judge did a good thing.

I'll agree with you that the judge did half of a good thing. His partner in crime plead guilty and got one to four years.

When anybody does the right thing for the wrong reason I'm glad they did the right thing, but I don't give them credit for pure motivation.

Both of them should spend their young adulthood in prison and the rest of their lives on parole.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I'll agree with you that the judge did half of a good thing. His partner in crime plead guilty and got one to four years.

When anybody does the right thing for the wrong reason I'm glad they did the right thing, but I don't give them credit for pure motivation.
    Both of them should spend their young adulthood in prison and the rest of their lives on parole.

Ok, I understand what you're saying. I'm cheering the judge for doing the right thing...his RATIONALE is unimportant in this case to me.

I'm just happy that in my opinion justice was served. MUCH better than those bleeding heart judges who let the "poor orphan/abused/mistreated/underprivileged child" go because he's had such a tough life...etc. etc.
  • Options
    Leeroy JenkinsLeeroy Jenkins Member Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    He is a felon for committing a violent robbery, what does the 7 cents have to do with it?

+1. Robbery is about using force or the threat of using force to take something from someone. How much or how little that something is doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People have been killed in self defense for such criminal activity. These guys might not be so lucky next time.
    What's next?
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 cents is petty theft - "carried BB guns that looked like real pistols when they knocked a 73-year old man to the ground--Stewart punching him in the face--" is [or should be] the felony! [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    "For 7 cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told the Post-Standard."

No, lady. Your little dirtbag client made himself a felon. [:(!]
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He got off light IMO.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    He committed an armed robbery and used violence in addition to that. He should have gotten twenty to life. The amount should not enter into it. Neither should his plea in court.

The punishment should fit the crime. Not how much you benefited from the crime or how much you pissed off the judge.
    quote:What is it they say?: "If you can't do the time ..."
    Judge Turk in Danville sentenced a young man to twenty-one years. The young man said "But Judge Turk, I can't do twenty-one years". Judge Turk said "That's perfectly all right, son. You just do as much of it as you can".

spot on analysis James, as always. I appreciate your posts.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are parents no longer responsible for their children?

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    In Texas, parents are responsible for property damaged by their children, up to a limit set by statute. Parents are not held criminally responsible for criminal acts of their children, unless the parents are complicit in those acts.

Would you like to go to prison because your son committed a felony?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I catch your drift, old man.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

exactly
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

Would you like to go to prison because your son committed a felony?

My folks wouldn't have had to worry, my dad would never had let me survive long enough for trial [^]
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    "For 7 cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told the Post-Standard."

No, lady. Your little dirtbag client made himself a felon. [:(!]

+1
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FELON FELON FELON is that clear enuff ???
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

AMEN
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jorge

These "young adults" are not exactly the child types and have parameters beyond five and ten year olds. Why not ask the same question about the parents' parents for not being more responsible adults, Jorge?
    What's next?
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jorge

I was responsible for all of mine.....................at least I think I was. Don
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the felonious assault part of this robbery?
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Look at what he did, not how much money he got. It could have been a pennt, it could have been $1,000. His intent was to rob and he was willing to be violent to do it.

He's a felon.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he would of admitted to what he did and plead guilty he would not of gotten such a harsh sentence. He shows no remorse and deserves all he gets and then some.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's lucky the old fellow didn't have a gun & shoot him dead. He should consider having his life in any fashion a plus.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can bet your * he pleaded not guilty on advice from his shyster.
    "If we plead not guilty, at your age you'll just get a slap on the wrist".
    That's why she's so bent out of shape, IMNSHO.
    [:(!]barto[:(!]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    relevant details:

assaulted at gunpoint(the fact that it was a bb gun is irrelevant)
    robbed
    battery

irrelevant details:

age of the perpetrator
    age of the victim
    amount of money garnered from the act.

simple as that. they knowing committed armed robbery and beat the victim to boot. there is no question in my mid that this kid should have been tried as an adult, been convicted, and sentenced to a real live adult sentence for his crime.

some may disagree with me that the age of the victim is irrelevant. is stand by that opinion for the simple fact that i dont believe that ANYONE should be able to physically assault ANYBODY. on this issue, im age, gender, race, creed, and sexual orientation blind. i dont think a man hitting a woman is any more of a crime than a woman hitting a man; nor is a child striking an adult more serious than the reverse(corporal punishment aside).