In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

catching big bass in lily pads?

H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I use heavy tackle 20-30lb line on a 2/0-3/0 hook with a large shiner and a 1-2oz slip weight on top of a barrrel swivel and a large bobber. Chunk it right into the thick of it and horse'em out. Any other tactics you guys use?

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did a little fishing today caught two bream and two bass on a beetle spin
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think all my poles(minus my musky pole) have 10 lb. line on them. My favorite combo for bass and Northern in the weeds is my ultralight pole, 10 lb. line, and a weedless rubber frog. Makes for a very fun fight.

Jon
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Did a little fishing today caught two bream and two bass on a beetle spin

Them and "mister twisters" never seem to fail to bring home the bass.

Jon
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    17 lb Vanish Transition with a green/orange belly Ribbit on a 5/0 wide gap hook.
    With a white Cinco on another pole just in case.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I've used heavy mono line and dragged a lightweight floating worm (the old airworms), a 4" worm, frog, lizzard, or craw type thing - anything you can rig snagless and will sink really slowly or not at all.

Drag it across the pads, dropping down into the gaps or hanging half over the gaps, a big ol' explosion will just about stop your heart.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    20 pound test with a weed hook on a purple worm with a sinker!
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    DuPont Spinners.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a TV show last night where a guy in California caught a bass that went over 25 pounds, but it was foul hooked so it didn't count. Later in the show the game warden found the fish floating, so I guess the record is safe for a while.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why would you waste time fishing for bait[?][}:)]
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I saw a TV show last night where a guy in California caught a bass that went over 25 pounds, but it was foul hooked so it didn't count. Later in the show the game warden found the fish floating, so I guess the record is safe for a while.

Could be this lake. http://www.californiagameandfish.com/fishing/bass-fishing/ca_aa010704a/

A few years ago I saw a fishing show. The guy was using a 12-14 in rubber rainbow trout as a lure. The bass where use to eating the stock trout that was being planted in the lake. They where catching monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_pjClV-Ho
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    top water frog
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also like to use a plastic worm or lizard, hooked weedless, then just drag it over the tops of the pads, stop and jiggle it a lot. And when the bass blows up underneith it, it is very exciting.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    20 lb Spiderwire and a Heddon Luckey 13....Bull
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    I think all my poles(minus my musky pole) have 10 lb. line on them. My favorite combo for bass and Northern in the weeds is my ultralight pole, 10 lb. line, and a weedless rubber frog. Makes for a very fun fight.

JonYeah, but y'all have those mini-bass up there. [:D]

This is a Largemouth caught down the road a ways from me. It's nowhere near this lake's record of 17.67lbs, but still a nice example.

sharel5.jpg