In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kerry on the Draft

ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Kerry has been very critical of Bush's supposed plan to reinstate the draft. Of course, in order to criticize Bush, he had to rescind his own opinions on the matter.

Here is the content of John Kerry's web page several months ago (archive.org is a credible and accurate archive of the web as it appeared at various points in time):

EDIT: I don't know why the URL tag isn't working for this. The link posted below got split up, too. Try this one:
http://tinyurl.com/4ds6p

The short version is that Kerry's 100-day plan for America included mandatory service by teenagers and adults.

Today, that page is not on John Kerry's web page - it's as if he never held that position.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both candidates know the draft is absolute poison, neither will reinstate it unless things get desperate.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I argued that mandatory service by kids in school with the kooks at the Kerry Forum and told them my kids would be home schooled to avoid their Nazi plans.

Maybe they finally got it.

Kerry003.jpg
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Everyone hear lauds military service as God's greatest gift to man and country since the invention of Cheese-Whiz, yet now a draft would be a "Nazi plan?"

Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:As part of his 100 day plan to change America, John Kerry will propose a comprehensive service plan that includes requiring mandatory service for high school students and four years of college tuition in exchange for two years of national service
    emphasis added

So much for freedom to choose our own path in life...

Here's the link...
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040210043828/http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/natservice/

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Kerry's requirement of school kids to also give mandatory community service time to the Government is totally different than requiring 18 year olds to serve in the military.

Kerry003.jpg
  • Options
    scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So my next question is
    If it's mandatory, is it really service? Then, What happens if I don't want my kids to or they don't want to "serve" in the "Kerry Youth" because they have other commitments like Scouts and football and soccer summer camps and Church obligations?

Very slippery slope indeed.

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So whats just so wrong with the draft? If needed again it will be put into law. Would you rather see your sons go into battle with only a
    3 or 4 months of training as we had in WW 2 as infantry casualties replacements? Wheras if they had a year or so it would greatly aid them. And if recalled they would have a few more months of up to date
    training. So, it would be a slight inconvienence to be trained in the
    draft. Freedom does not come without costs. The two bills, S-89 and
    HR 163 (incidentaly, by Rangel and Hollings, both democrats) have never
    left committee. Where in hell has patriotism gone to besides downhill.
    Guess the good living has just got to many and they would hate to leave
    it for any reason.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may have absolutely nothing to do with it but all of the people I can think of who have been in the Military and some saw combat.They seem to hold higher morals and are far more trustworthy.Today's generation of American teens will be the ones who will keep my butt safe and sound when I become older,just like my Grandparents who served are secure now because of our great Military.Ive seen alot of todays youths who hold no regard for no one but themselves and respect for no one.I think the Military may give these children morals and a feeling of self worth.It may be a good thing,of course Im no parent yet and I guess thats easy for me to say.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong - this isn't about the draft at all. This is about John Kerry being a hypocrite and then changing his web page to reflect the new views that have always been seared in his mind as the truth.

Most people voting for John Kerry are only voting against Bush, and I agree with some of their reasoning and add some legitimate reasoning of my own (Patriot Act, tort reform (kiss class action goodbye), etc.); but there are actually several people voting for Kerry. On what grounds, I will never understand, but I've had many people say nasty things to me just because I asked them for a few good reasons to vote for Kerry that don't involve the phrase "because he's not Bush."
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Also, the government's job is to serve us, especially our kids, not the other way around.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    "The answer my friend is blowin in the wind, the answer is blown in the wind"

Every politician's theme song. Which way is the wind blowing that is where they set their sail. I wish I could say there were some that were different, but everyone that has reached any position of true auhority give answers that the public want to hear. Bush, despite some real blunders and just a little more than smiggin of arrogance at least occassionally forgets to listen to his advisors and his personal stance comes out. Like his position or not he sometimes actually states it.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    quote:Also, the government's job is to serve us, especially our kids, not the other way around

So, just who comprimises "our government"? Is it not our kids of today?

Seems to me that a lot of people expect "our government" to protect and support them but dont wish to help pay the cost in any manner.

Be it my miltary service or community service, seems those tasks are for other people to assume.

Well, who are the other people, if not your kids(young adults)?

Nope thats one of the problems of this nation today, people want, no, expect, but dont feel they should have to bear any of the burden.

Yep, its lets fight the terrorist(just not my kids), lets protect america(just not my kids), the government should do this or that(just dont ask me or my family to contribute to making it happen).

Sad state of affairs, seems a lot of people think they are "entitled" to certain things , yet those same people dont think they "owe" anyone else(including their country) anything.

JuJu(Just my opinion, others may vary)
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Bush said in his closing statement:

"The next four years we will continue to strengthen our homeland defenses...The military will be an all-volunteer army."

Kerry completely avoided the subject.