In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dog Owners, a Food Recommendation -

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
Went to Tractors Supply on Black Friday, in order to take advantage of a chainsaw deal.

Ended up spending more on the dog, than I spent on myself. (What?) [:0][B)]

Anyway, after much research, reading labels talking to associates - keyed in on Tractor Supply's own "4 Health" brand. Comparable to the top lines out there, Blue Buffalo, Eukanuba, Purina One, etc. Was about 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost. Ingredients are top line. No grain.

My dog LOVES it.

I purchased their "Untamed" food. Buffalo and Lentil, in this particular case. (Was $10 off) Their "4 Health" canned food, was a particular hit and seemed very high end, better (by far) than any canned food I've used. (.99C/can) I use about 1/4-1/3 can per bowl of food.

A particular hit was the Salmon and Potato variety. I bought about 15-20 cans, their entire variety. My Bud deserves the best. [:D]

Yes, I know ("knoe,") I can make my own, I may get there at some point. Right now, this has proven to be very good stuff.

Just passing it along.

Buddy sez "Hey." [:D]

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks but no thanks. Rebel only eats homemade dog food. Not to say he wouldn't eat kibble, but I won't feed him anything-but homemade dog food. I've noticed a dog lives a few years longer if you feed them homemade dog food. And if you buy everything on sale, it's not much more expensive...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    Thanks but no thanks. Rebel only eats homemade dog food. Not to say he wouldn't eat kibble, but I won't feed him anything-but homemade dog food. I've noticed a dog lives a few years longer if you feed them homemade dog food. And if you buy everything on sale, it's not much more expensive...

I "knoe" (knewe?) You would be along. Hence my homemade food reference. Hope you are having a great day Brother.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

I "knoe" (knewe?) You would be along. Hence my homemade food reference. Hope you are having a great day Brother.

I'm having a great day, I haven't spilled any gravy.[:D] How's your day going
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excellent my Brother. [:D]
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,360 ******
    edited November -1
    I've had my pooches on Purina One Dry Lamb & Rice for several years now. Quite a while back, my Mrs. started making stir fry consisting of long grain white rice, shredded fresh broccoli, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, shredded celery, and her own ground up pork loin.

She made sooo much for just two people, I started sneaking a couple tablespoons into the dogs feed at every feeding.[}:)]

I just couldn't stomach eating the same thing day after day and I hate wasting food! Now, both my best friends will not even consider a bowl of plain Purina kibble anymore and for a short time I was in the DOG HOUSE for my sneakery![B)]

She now makes her mega batches of stir fry every week and our furry kids have the healthiest shiny coats, and more energy than the Eveready Bunny![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Growing up on the farm, dogs were strays that wandered in.

They got table scraps.....eat or don't, their choice.

I can appreciate that US55840. My dog is my best friend. Not a stray, that wandered in. He gets very much, taken care of. He deserves it.

Best dog ever.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    our rescue buddies are FAMILY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    our rescue buddies are FAMILY

Yes Sir.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,661 ******
    edited November -1
    I switched from Pedigree to Beneful and my dogs love it.
    The same dogs, however, will eat week old deer guts.
    Then come and lick me in the face.[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    I switched from Pedigree to Beneful and my dogs love it.
    The same dogs, however, will eat week old deer guts.
    Then come and lick me in the face.[xx(]

Perhaps you taste like *? [:0][B)][:D][}:)]

I blend Pedigree in to Beneful, Nutrish, Tempest (4 Health), or other high end food. He gets shredded chicken, or a 1/3-1/4 can of high end food mixed in.

He Loves it. Very healthy, very happy.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since they came out with it, our Tractor Supply has a hard time keeping it on the shelf. My old cat is almost 19yrs old, and it's kept her going for the last year, only thing she'll eat without getting sick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you believe they want $65, for a 15-20 # bag of Blue Buffalo, Eukanuba, Purina One, etc.? Crazy.

I paid $29ish (granted $10 off.) for a 20# bag of 4 Health. Reading the labels, it is as good or better that the other brands mentioned.

Firmed my dogs poop right up. [:D]

Did I mention, he LOVES it?
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been using 4 Health for years after our "dam dog" suffered an injury to her rear leg at 2 YO. We read the ingredients and bought the one with the Golden on the bag, It has much more glucosamine that any other 4 Health food. I say it works, she has good mobility up to now at age 10 but has started to slow down. According to the vet she is starting to get arthritis.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been using 4 Health for years after our "dam dog" suffered an injury to her rear leg at 2 YO. We read the ingredients and bought the one with the Golden on the bag, It has much more glucosamine that any other 4 Health food. I say it works, she has good mobility up to now at age 10 but has started to slow down. According to the vet she is starting to get arthritis.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******
    edited November -1
    "Dog Owners, a Food Recommendation "

Dog food
    don.
  • Options
    TcattTcatt Member Posts: 342 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk to guides, Quail, Pheasant, Duck about how they feed their dogs.

I raised and trained bird dogs for years, from a line of trainers. Hunting dogs need calories and fat for their coats.

Always fed my dogs things that I made for them, Table scrapes.

Make friends with a local butcher and pay him to save the meat and fat trimings, out of date meat, and large steak bones, he won't charge you much and it will be the best feed for your dog.
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    Went to Tractors Supply on Black Friday, in order to take advantage of a chainsaw deal.

Ended up spending more on the dog, than I spent on myself. (What?) [:0][B)]

Anyway, after much research, reading labels talking to associates - keyed in on Tractor Supply's own "4 Health" brand. Comparable to the top lines out there, Blue Buffalo, Eukanuba, Purina One, etc. Was about 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost. Ingredients are top line. No grain.

My dog LOVES it.

I purchased their "Untamed" food. Buffalo and Lentil, in this particular case. (Was $10 off) Their "4 Health" canned food, was a particular hit and seemed very high end, better (by far) than any canned food I've used. (.99C/can) I use about 1/4-1/3 can per bowl of food.

A particular hit was the Salmon and Potato variety. I bought about 15-20 cans, their entire variety. My Bud deserves the best. [:D]

Yes, I know ("knoe,") I can make my own, I may get there at some point. Right now, this has proven to be very good stuff.

Just passing it along.

Buddy sez "Hey." [:D]

Check out the dog food advisor, you'd be amazed at how much crap is out there. 4Health is a solid 4 star rated food, both canned and dry. I feed mine Costco's Kirkland brand lamb & rice dry (4 star) and it's canned Natures Domain turkey & pea (5 star).
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 10 year old Heeler/Lab mix puppy Maggie gets Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. Vet recommended it as a good mid priced food. Before I had her on cheap food and she eats less of this and seems to do better overall. Less grain and chicken byproducts is better. She also gets a glucosamine pill broke up in it each day as she has hip dysplasia/arthritis.

Best Dog Ever!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cling2myguns
    My 10 year old Heeler/Lab mix puppy Maggie gets Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. Vet recommended it as a good mid priced food. Before I had her on cheap food and she eats less of this and seems to do better overall. Less grain and chicken byproducts is better. She also gets a glucosamine pill broke up in it each day as she has hip dysplasia/arthritis.

Best Dog Ever!

I was/am also a fan of Diamond Naturals. My local Farm store carries it. 33lb. bags for around (if I remember correctly) $30ish. Lamb and rice, Chicken and Brown rice, Beef and rice. Good stuff.

I usually mix food like that in with a bag of Premium food.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the National sporting dog championships last week, 91 of 100 dogs were fed Purina One.