In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

are raccoons territorial? (terminate update 2)

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited May 2004 in General Discussion
I got the white male cat. The female headed back under the house and black male took off. Later I heard a noise in the trap and it was a really big raccoon. I couldn't shoot it in the borrowed trap and it was too dark to turn it loose and then shoot it. I drove it six miles away and turned it loose but now I wonder if I took it far enough and maybe it will try to return to it's comfortable home?

avitar.jpg
Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

lafayette.gif
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Raccoons are apart of the Bear Family. Bears mark there territory. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    racoons are very intellegent you can expect him to find the comfort of home
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While researching some information on raccoons once, I ran across an article where they said that they had 3 or 4 out of 10 raccoons return home, after releasing them 100 miles from wherever it was.
    6 miles, maybe-maybe not.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Tie a rope on the trap and throw it in the river or pond. After about 5 minutes pull the trap out of the water, shake * out in the bushes. You wont have to worry about that raccoon again.
  • billybassbillybass Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we once had a huge racoon problem I got a couple of traps and in 3 weeks I had caught about 35 of them , there was no sense in killing them I took to a big state park & let them go, I would slip a big burlap sack over the mouth of the trap & lift the door a little tapping & in they went, I actually got good at it, none ever made it back....funny thing was that sometimes I would get them even with out bait in the traps, I think a few were females & they left there smell in he traps...they are smart and would reach out & try to lift the locking latch...so when I would hear the trap door slam I would put a wood handle in to jam the door, then even reach out and pull the wood out.....there very smart ......no sense in drowning racoons... maybe a few people I know.... but not some racoons Billy
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be back..
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got the black cat, too. Anybody have a copy of 101 Uses for a Dead Cat laying around?

quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    It will be back..
    I'm really starting to think I should have terminated the raccoon, too. But I was hoping it would be smart enough to figure out this is no longer a safe place.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

lafayette.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • BigGameHunter42BigGameHunter42 Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    odds are it is gonna be back ... the one i released came
    back anyways. and i drove him about ten to fifteen miles away ... he no longer lives , the .22 did him in a week or two later
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 925
    racoons are very intellegent you can expect him to find the comfort of home

The one I smacked with my truck the other night on the way back from Delaware Park was an exception to this. [:D]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I took one 14 miles away to a friend of mines farm. He's still there, living on the creek that runs through his land. Maybe it was a once in a million thing, but he didn't come back.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
    bumpersticker.gif