In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Safe or not ?

mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
A guy came in with a 50 caliber TC BP Encore S/S barrel and wanted the scope base to be redone ?

I didn't think much of it until I started to take the base off the barrel and I noticed the screw heads seemed bigger than normal !

I got 3 screws off and when I started on the last one it just popped loose ?
It had been glued in, no threads at all just the top ?

With the base off I could see that hole had a 10/32 tap broke off in it ?

The second hole had been drilled and tapped clear into the chamber ?

The last two had been drilled and tapped for 10/32 screws, and had about 1 1/2 turns of threads in the holes ?

I called the guy next day and explained the problems. It seems he lent it to his brother for a hunt last year. He had dropped it and broke the scope, and the base came loose ? and he said he had tried to fix it ?

When I told the guy to come pick it up because I wasnt going to do anything to it but return it. well, he seemd upset at that, and then wanted me to run a screw down the hole and then another one to hold it all back together with the base..???

To me this is a safety issue, and I just wouldn't do it .

RIGHT OR WRONG ????????

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trying to protect people from their own ignorance and/or stupidity is a thankless task.

You did good.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Check out what I've got on the block!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Quote him the price of the repair for the cost of a new barrel. That is a good place for a barrel to split apart.

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    That's the screwiest thing I've ever heard!
    ape.jpg
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Give the TC back. A hole in the chamber? THAT is asking for trouble of the WORST kind.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    With a hole threaded all the way into the chamber, He will not be able to extract the shell after he fires the first shot.
    If it were me I would have him come pick it up and explain the damage and dangers of using it in its present condition.
    I would also have him sign a statement saying he knew the gun was dropped off to you in this condition.
    Thats just me and the way I would go about it.
    Whoever glued the broken screw head back in the hole ought not to even own a firearm.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    Quote him the price of the repair for the cost of a new barrel. That is a good place for a barrel to split apart.

i like that idea plus more money for u COST OF BARREL PLUS SCOPE MOUNTS. wounder what a barrel like that cost, 50 cal wounder if he should just buy a new one. by the way why the heck would u hunt with a 50 cal. for anyway? isn't that a little blown up (not over kill) that would have to put a grape fruit hole in the animal

YOU BEEN NUNNED!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless I missed something, isn't that a 50 cal. black powder? That wouldn't be overkill for much of anything, and no case to extract.

"Tax evasion is illegal; tax avoidance is an art form"
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Ignorance can be fixed, stupid is forever.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a mauser 300 win mag from a seller on GB it had the same problem the screw holes were drilled into the chamber. I sent it back but he had a gunsmith swear it was ok I ended up eating it. No help from GB I would not risk it. And you were right to turn repair down.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif