In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini 14 vs. SKS

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
So what do you think is just plain better?...
A Yugo SKS (or any for that matter) or the Mini 14?

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    SKS my 2 cents [8D]
  • Options
    Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sks for accuracy, that is my experience.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Well i ve only ever shot one SKS not sure what kind. But i do know that the design of a Mini is pretty sturdy and clean. no fowling shoots all damn day drop it in the mud pick it up and go again. ammo cost about the same. i dont much care for the sks looks either.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The Mini-14 is a joke...and a bad one by Ruger. The SKS will be functioning long after the 14 is junk...and will outshoot it.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mini-14 for sheer factor of detatchable magazine and it's still legal in California.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SKS
    Better accuracy and quality ... plus you can buy 3-4 of them of for what one Mini costs

As to the mag issue ... you can reload with stripper clips faster than you can change mags.

The SKS is also legal in California with no bayo lug.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I'll beg to disagree that the Mini is junk. I've had one for years, it is accurate and doesn't jam. I love mine.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Our of every thousand rifles, there are bound to be a couply good ones...law of averages.
    You got one. Thank your lucky stars.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Our of every thousand rifles, there are bound to be a couply good ones...law of averages.
    You got one. Thank your lucky stars.

[:)]Thank you lucky stars[:)]

I must have gotten the other one of the other thousand!

Personally, I have both and like both.

As far as accuracy is concerned my Mini 14 out shoots any of the SKS's that I have or ever had.

As a bug-out weapon both are ideal with the Mini 14 being lighter and ammo easy to scrounge. The SKS, other than ammo and weight, is probably the most durable and easiest to maintain.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    SKS with a synthetic resin stock - no contest.[:D]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Except for the Yugo underfolder, the mini weighs less than any SKS.
    The mini shoots a commonly available round (remember when all you saw were threads whining about unavailable ammo for AKs/SKSs). It also has a few dozen accessories makers, is made in America, and in my experience is far more accurate than an SKS.
    When comparing a military weapon versus a handy sporter, it behooves us to remember what each guns' original purpose was.
    An SKS will never be a benchrest gun, and the mini will never be seen in the hands of some jihadist.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both SKS and Mini-14. The mini-14 is a better made weapon, chambered for a better round, better set of sights, more accurate, Besides, it's stainless steel. Ever seen a stainless SKS?
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha
    I own both SKS and Mini-14. The mini-14 is a better made weapon, chambered for a better round, better set of sights, more accurate, Besides, it's stainless steel. Ever seen a stainless SKS?

How do you think the .223 is better than the 7.62x39...or that the mini 14 is better[?][?][?]
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mini 30 I win.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha

How do you think the .223 is better than the 7.62x39...or that the mini 14 is better[?][?][?]

The .223 is a flatter shooting round which means that your sights can be dialed in from 0 to more than 200 yards without any adjustment for elevation. Even at 400 yards you can hit the vital zone on a man without adjusting for elevation. Combined with good sights, this allows an average shot with a mini-14 to outshoot a marksman with an SKS.
  • Options
    Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The A-team couldn't hit anything with the mini... nuff said[:D]
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like both but the Mini-14 is over priced.The Mini is perfect for what is was made for=prison guards.