In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

small pick up truck

scssrscssr Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
I need a small pick up. 4wd so I can get to work on those bad days and also use for hauling stuff what's recommended. Been looking at the ford ranger, dodge dakota, chevy s-10 and open to suggestions. Can't afford new something with a few miles that will still last.

Comments

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a truck but I had a Jeep Cherokee that was indestructible. Got 23mpg on the highway too. Thinking about getting another sometime.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a truck. Mid 90's Ford Ranger or Mazda (same truck).
    If you consider a Chevy S10. Better look very closely for rusted frames, spring hangers, brake/fuel lines and cab corners. Do not just look. take a small flat tip screw driver and poke around.

If you are just looking for a 4x4 to drive to work and back. I second the Jeep Cherokee. The 1984 to 1999 4.0 IL6 XJ models are hard to beat. Stay away from the Pioneer model that had the 2.8 Chevy drive line. Those things were junk from the factory and were an embarrassment to real Jeep people.

Main things to look for on a Jeep Cherokee is the engine mount bushings and bolts on the engine. These are a weak link but is easily fixed by removing the complete engine mounts, then drilling and tapping them for 13mm x 32 grade 8 bolts. If in the salt belt. Look for rusted passenger side floor boards above the exhaust pipe and door rocker panels.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a 4WD Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine....those things are friggin awesome! I have put mine threw crazy stuff! I have driven it through snow for 250 miles that was unplowed and ranged from 4 inches to 1.5 feet. On the highway in good weather, it being a 4 cylinder it gets decent gas mileage (for a pickup) about 21 mpg. They almost all have great transmissions (manual or automatic) so you will get plenty of torque when needed, and they rarely breakdown (in comparrison to other light pickups).

Thats just my 2 cents (oh by the way I used to be a die hard chevy guy).
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to agree with the notion that kidthatsirish - suggested to you.

Just tailor it to your needs and wants and pocket. [:)]
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    a 4WD Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine....those things are friggin awesome! I have put mine threw crazy stuff! I have driven it through snow for 250 miles that was unplowed and ranged from 4 inches to 1.5 feet. On the highway in good weather, it being a 4 cylinder it gets decent gas mileage (for a pickup) about 21 mpg. They almost all have great transmissions (manual or automatic) so you will get plenty of torque when needed, and they rarely breakdown (in comparrison to other light pickups).

+1 if you can find an older toyota p/u, hard to beat the durability...other than rust

+1000 on the Jeep Cherokee for an SUV with the 4.0 Liter, they even made a Comanche P/U version but those are pretty hard to find. They run forever and there are tons of used parts out there to keep it running.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beware of the S-10. Body rust will eat them up. Got one, a 1993, motor still good, but the body is totally gone. I just use it as a farm/going 3 mile to work truck.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a have a 4wd 4 cyl TOYO auto x-cab ...21mpg ...dependable ..& would like to find a lo mile one about 3-5 years newer.....no can do
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Beware of the S-10. Body rust will eat them up. Got one, a 1993, motor still good, but the body is totally gone. I just use it as a farm/going 3 mile to work truck.

If you live where the roads are salted, and don't keep your truck cleaned, rust will get any of them.

I had a 1991 S-10 that I bought in early 1992 with 14K miles on it. I drove it until late 2000, and sold it with 167K miles on it. I saw it running around town for another five years. The paint looked like heck, but the truck had no rust, and ran strong.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish

+1 if you can find an older toyota p/u, hard to beat the durability...other than rust.

+1000 I worked on them for 22yrs. We had a lot of oil field trucks that were road hard and had very few break downs.
    If you look for one a few years old, check the frame for rust, if you are in the rust-salt belt.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    Don't get a Dodge Dakota. [xx(]

Ford not too bad, but a Toyota Tacoma is best.

+1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    quote:Beware of the S-10. Body rust will eat them up. Got one, a 1993, motor still good, but the body is totally gone. I just use it as a farm/going 3 mile to work truck.

If you live where the roads are salted, and don't keep your truck cleaned, rust will get any of them.

I had a 1991 S-10 that I bought in early 1992 with 14K miles on it. I drove it until late 2000, and sold it with 167K miles on it. I saw it running around town for another five years. The paint looked like heck, but the truck had no rust, and ran strong.

That's because you live in Texas, nunn.....[:D]

The only place I've seen rust on vehicles here was on the Gulf Coast.
    edited November -1
    I wish we could get one of these here:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Volkswagen_Amarok

275px-VW_Amarok_2.0_TDI_4MOTION_DC_Highline_front_20100919.jpg

VW TDI turbodiesel engine......[:p]

Or a Toyota Hilux with a diesel.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swampgut

That's cool...I'd want the bi-turbo version...300 lbs of torque in that small truck ought to do pretty good.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Don't get a Dodge Dakota. [xx(]

Ford not too bad, but a Toyota Tacoma is best.

+1

+2

Dakota-Durango are know for having horrible transmissions.

If you go Toyota or other small pickup with 4 banger, get a manual.
    You mileage will suck with an automatic. Plan on 13 to 19 out of an automatic.

For that gas mileage, might as well as have a full size F150 style truck.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would try autotrader.com and see what jumps out at me.
  • NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    If your thinking of a truck, just get a full size. The small ones don't get any better mileage or cheaper service than a full.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Or a Toyota Hilux with a diesel.
    Yep http://www.volkswagen-hyotyautot.fi/VV-Auto/VW_HA4.nsf/HTML/020.015.010
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NEIAPredator
    If your thinking of a truck, just get a full size. The small ones don't get any better mileage or cheaper service than a full.

+1
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NEIAPredator

In some instances this may be true, but it sure is harder to get them onto hunting trails and through heavy snow or mud. Generaly the smaller pickups have a shorter wheel base, and often to better through this kind of terrain.
  • TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeep Cherokee's[xx(] They have issues. The rear main seal starts leaking at about 115K.
    Both of ours leak. We have two 1991 Cherokees. One Laredo and one Limited.
    The Laredo is down with the bottom of the motor off to replace the rear main seal.
    Need a special tool for the job. Have it.
    The Limited will be down when the Laredo is back to running service.
    The Cherokees also have a problem with the cooling system.
    I could go on but I get ticked off.
    Both of these problems most mechanics will tell you are prevalent with the Cherokees.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking a BRAT (them things will go anywhere including goat trails).
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TheBrassMan
    Jeep Cherokee's[xx(] They have issues. The rear main seal starts leaking at about 115K.
    Both of ours leak. We have two 1991 Cherokees. One Laredo and one Limited.
    The Laredo is down with the bottom of the motor off to replace the rear main seal.
    Need a special tool for the job. Have it.
    The Limited will be down when the Laredo is back to running service.
    The Cherokees also have a problem with the cooling system.
    I could go on but I get ticked off.
    Both of these problems most mechanics will tell you are prevalent with the Cherokees.

Do they have the 4.0 inline six cylinder engine?

I've never heard of that issue with the ones that do.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    I was thinking a BRAT (them things will go anywhere including goat trails).

Good idea.

Subies are beasts in the snow.
    edited November -1
    Subaru still make the Brat? [:0]

If not, good luck trying to find one in good repair.

I think they call them the "Baja" now.

I forgot about that.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Subaru_Baja

Subaru_Baja_1.jpg
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I'm on my third S-10. My first 4WD. Okay, technically, it's a Sonoma, but I love that little beast. She pulled a Dodge Mega-cab 4WD out of a sandy ditch one time.

Subaru still make the Brat? [:0]

If not, good luck trying to find one in good repair.

I think they call them the "Baja" now.

I forgot about that.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Subaru_Baja

Subaru_Baja_1.jpg

I like the looks of that. I knew a gal who had 400,000 miles on her Subaru wagon. They are stone beasts all right.
    edited November -1
    Yep.

I'm pretty sure it's based on the Legacy/Outback platform.

They just made what would have been the cargo area in the station wagon into a pickup bed.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l drove one of Joe lsuzus' til 96. Gave it to my daughter. lt was an '88'. 4wd. l think she drove it 3 years. l saw it Monday. STILL running [:0]
  • barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    It's not small and it likes gas but goes good in bad weather and I don't worry if some crazy person hits me. I like the Subaru Baja. IMG00006-20110112-1627.jpg
  • scssrscssr Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like I'm going with an 04 s-10. No rust problems from what I found. Looked for tacomas but they were out of my price range. Went with suggestions to stay away from the Dakota although I am replacing a 99 durango with 230,000 and no trans problems. I guess I got lucky. It's tough to find a small 4x4 with decent mileage for a reasonable price.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 99 Nissan Frontier that I used for a work truck.It has a 2.4 4 cylinder with a auto trans.It still has the original engine and transmission and neither has had any major problems but the transmission is slow to engage first start upon cold mornings but shifts and works fine after it gets up to temp.It gets 28 mpg and you can see your reflection in the original paint.When I changed the oil in it Sunday and wrote down the mileage it was 432,000 miles.