In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking to buy a modern muzzleloader-suggestions

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
Do to a recent change in the hunting season, I am considering buying another muzzleloader. I have a Flintlock, because the state I live in is a Flintlock only. But the state I hunt in, allows the most modern muzzleloaders, with scopes, the works. I dont know anything about these muzzleloaders-inlines, primers, 209, these words are greek to me.
But what I want to get, is the easiest, CLEANEST, with scope, deerslaying modern muzzleloader out there. Ohh yeah, I also dont want to spend much money-can anyone give me a tutorial about these muzleloaders, and suggestions?
Thanks

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have anything to offer, except more questions. I think Savage makes a modern smokepole that's designed to use smokeless powder, but I haven't seen any reviews, or spoken with anyone who's shot one. Has anyone here used one?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo--You amaze me. I thought you were up on the muzzleloader scene. I'd recommend a T/C Omega. It's probably the easiest to clean and shoot. Tutorial? You'd probably be better off getting a modern muzzleloader book. I bought one called "Modern Muzzleloading" but it didn't address some subjects applicable to the most modern of muzzleloading rifles.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Make sure it is 209 primer ignited and as to cheapest as well as a good bang for the buck, traditions makes one model for under $150.

I myself have a TC Encore with a Nikon scope but we are talking about $800 stainles model. I would say spend the extra money for a blue TC Encore in either 209/45 or 209/50 because with a new fore arm you can also get a wide variety of modern rifle barrels for it. Like I said I have the stainless model 209/45 as well as a 22-250 and a 300 Win Mag barrel to boot. TC custom shop, Fox Ridge Outfitters, can make any caliber you want. I am ordering a 225 Winchester for mine.

We also have a nickle Traditions in 209/45 and on it I am putting a 40+ dollar Simmons scope. We will have less than $200 in the whole outfit for one of the kids to use in Ohio.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo.. hope your car is running by now... I have a side lock with caps. 50 cal. CVA. They don't cost much and work well. I bought mine used at the auction for $50.00. Shoots straight and hard with 90-100 gr. roundballs or them newfangled pointed projectiles. Here is one I have for sale http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/viewitem.asp?item=28416319
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    biggest thing for a inline is going with the 209 primer, you can go either 45 or 50 cal both have plenty of bullets to choose from , Knight or T/C have really good low end stuff as well as high dollar items , should be able to get either in a package deal for $200 or less , package should contain the rifle , bullets , powder(pellets ) cleaning kit, bullet starter , video tape instructions ,

this time of year shops will give you a good deal on black powder guns because they don't want to sit on them until next fall,kind of like this one which i've seen this rifle sell for as low as $129 in the off season
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=28447622
    I've owned this rifle and it is a good shooter

or here is one of the package deal I was talking about
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=28447479

remember too that black powder rifle like these do NOT need to be ship thru a dealer they can be ship right to your house ,
    Rifles like T/C Encore or Contender must go thru a dealer even when they are sold as a black powder rifle because they will take standard center fire barrels
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best two for under $200 are the Knight Wolverine and the NEF Sidekick. The Sidekick is at Cabelas for $160.
    Both are made in America, are accurate, and easy to clean.
    Now if you wanted to get up to the $400 range, get a Savage and shoot smokeless. I have one and I like it very much. Or get the TC Omega or the Knight Disc Elite.
    When you spend the extra money you get a better gun. Put the Omega next to the Sidekick and you will be able to tell the Omega is a more costly gun.
    Avoid the new Knight Revolution. Knight really laid an egg with this one. They are trying to compete with the Omega. Some Knight executive, who is in charge of this turkey, is going to get his head handed to him on a plate. It is unusual because Knight normally builds great guns.
    With any of the guns I recommended you will be able to get 1 1/2 inch groups, all take 209 primers, and are drilled and tapped for scope.
  • Options
    Ding-a-lingDing-a-ling Member Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be hard to beat my Ruger 77/50 . I don't have any need for anything else. VERY EASY to clean. Just make sure to put anti-sieze grease on the breach plug.

Ding-a-ling
    Some people get up and say"Good Morning Lord"

Others get up and say "Good Lord,it's morning.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with allen, the Knight Revolution is kinda cheesy compared to the rest of their line.

Reason to own an in-line:
    - easy removal of breech plug, cleans like a conventional rifle.
    - modern rifle triggers, fully adjustable.
    - already drilled and tapped for scope
    - modern components used in stocks (composite or laminated)
    - stocks are shaped like those of modern rifles
    - modern style open sights (hi-viz)
    - hotter ignition (209 shotgun primers)
    - many are available in stainless steel

We have three Knights, love them all....MK85, T-Bolt, Master Hunter Disc Extreme. Top quality barrels, good triggers and extremely accurate. Not cheap, but if you want quality there's not many that are any better.
    Knight1.jpg

Knight3.jpg

Knight4.jpg
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Check out the CVA optima. easy to clean, uses 209's, comes drilled & tapped, kinda weighty to lug around much, but you can get into a blued model with black synthetic stock for less than $200

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=28450466

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would cast my vote for the T/C Encore 209, but a bit pricy. I have two others, but I love it.
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second what Suspension said. I bought the CVA Optima kit last year. It comes with a cheap scope, but it can still shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100yds, easy to clean and simple break action (just like a single barrel shotgun) to load the 209 primer. The kit comes with everything except powder/pellets and the 209 primers. I belive I paid about $219 for it.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I bought a CVA Firebolt....$100...brand new. Camo stock, blue fluted barrel.... You can be up and shooting VERY well...for another 50.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I happen to have purchased a revolution, syn., stainless. put a cabela's pine ridge scope on it. It drives tacks at 150 yds. Easy to clean. killed 5 deer in Iowa with it this year, ranging from 30 ft. to 150 yds. kinda spendy compaired to others out there though. I couldn't be happier with it. What are any problems anyone has heard about with it? I know all the scheels, dicks sporting goods (formely galans) and Cabelas can't keep them in stock.

One word of advice for you is DO NOT buy a used muzzle loader. Most people that would sell their guns, not all, just most, don't take proper care of a muzzle loader and they are junk.

the voices in my head don't scare me. it's only when they stop that i get a little nervous.
  • Options
    rdcinmnrdcinmn Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CVA firebolt or Traditions staghorn are the the cheapest you can go-about $100 bucks.
    These are both come with syn. stocks, sling studs, fiber optic sights, 209 primer ignition and are drilled & tapped for scope mounts.
    You can use either loose powder or the new pellets, you can also use balls, maxi bullets or sabots.
    The 209 primers are shotgun primers and are more moisture resistance than number 11 caps.
  • Options
    fundaddyfundaddy Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say anything in the break open design and 209 primers. Using 777 powder, clean up is a snap.
    I have a NEF Huntsman. Very affordable, well built, accurate, easy to clean.....oh yeah, I love it [8D]

What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? Deut 4:7
  • Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Salzo-
    I have a Knight MK85 that I could part with and give you a good deal on. If you are interested, send me an e-mail.
    JC

KungFu.gif
    Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The reason I dislike the Revolution is because of this review from huntamerica.com

RandyWakeman

Reged: Dec 17 2002
    Loc: Plainfield, IL USA The Knight Revolution Review--
    #616421 - Wed Dec 22 2004 04:08 AM

The Knight Revolution Review: Just another Revolting Development?

The tested gun was one of the very few truly "new" frontloading rifles for 2004, the Knight Revolution in stainless steel / Realtree Hardwoods configuration. As supplied, it is 8-1/2 pounds on the nose, hanging from my Lyman electric trigger gauge. The barrel measures 26-1/2" from muzzle to breechplug, about a one inch increase over other Knight "26 inch" models. Knight normally has a usable barrel length one half inch less than stated, closer than many manufacturers. In the case of Thompson or other QLA ("false muzzle") rifles, you can also subtract the unrifled portion of the barrel crown-as that can do nothing to spin or push bullets.

The trigger that came with my Revolution was defective, having a distinct two-stage crack to it. It was returned to Knight, and Knight's superior customer service very quickly took care of the problem, the trigger arriving back in my hands in just a few days. The Revolution's trigger is adjustable for break only, not creep. As received, it breaks cleanly at a very acceptable four pounds. It is certainly a good hunting trigger, far better than the horrid Traditions and CVA triggers I've tested recently. However, it suffers by comparison to the outstanding Knight Disc Elite, Disc Extreme, and Wolverine triggers due to the noticeably longer take-up. Whether that is an issue of substance to an individual is subjective, of course. It is clearly a step backward from other Knight product according to my trigger finger. Knight bolt action triggers have been uniformly superior; this effort falls short tested side by side.

The "quick-release" action featured on this rifle is puzzling, reminding me of a waterwheel or some peculiar attempt at perpetual motion. An interesting conversation piece, it is great fun to carry around and ask your friends, "What Do You Think This Is?" Though it is easy to remove, the value of that is lost on me. Knight has billed the Revolution as "Easy To Clean." Well, it is easy to take apart, but easy to clean it certainly is not; easy to get dirty more accurately describes the situation. Knight bolt-action rifles are a dream by comparison.

The Revolution retains the Knight "Red Full Plastic Jacket." In their plunger guns and bolt actions, the red jackets have proved to be a very good idea for field use. It clearly weatherproofs their rifles, eliminates the need for a capper in their bolt actions, and no field capper is required for the Revolution, either. However, the breechplug is the same on the Revolution as it is on the Knight bolt action Disc Extreme and Disc Elite models. In Knight bolt guns, any excess primer residue that cannot make it through the breechplug nipples is spewed onto the bolt action (and a small amount into the bottom of your scope) which is very easy to hand disassemble, soak, and clean-such is not the case with the Revolution.

The same red plastic jacket spewage remains; it should- the very same breechplug, nipple, and red plastic jacket are employed. In the case of the Revolution, it spews inside the receiver, coating the inside completely, and also gurgitating all over the trigger group. It leaks out a bit beneath the receiver, and also out the rear flap that closes in concert with the action when you lock and prime the action. All this just means more clean-up, and runs counter to the ads that brag, "Easy To Clean." Easy to get filthy dirty, it achieves.

After firing this gun, you must physically depress a little pedal (or foot) that protrudes from beneath the pistol grip to open up the action and then reprime. This is counter-intuitive to me; can you imagine a lever action rifle (such as the Marlin 336) where you have to push a button just to cycle the action? I couldn't, but apparently somebody could. A simple spring and detent set-up just makes far more sense.

At the range, I found the Revolution to be in an accuracy class similar to several Extreme models. While Knight still brags about their 2-1/2" accuracy guarantee; I have yet to test a Knight that will not easily better that. The Revolution's three-shot groups size at 100 yards was in the area of 1-3/4 to 2" with Barnes 245 gr. Spitfires, available as Knight "Ultimate Slam Series" SBT bullets with sabots, and the Revolution was able to keep 348 grain Powerbelts in the same accuracy genre as well. While certainly adequate hunting accuracy, the Revolution falls far short of the blazing accuracy level of their own Knight Disc Elite-which remains at the very top of the many muzzleloaders I've tested in the tack-driving department.

The Revolution's ramrod is adequate, no different from other Knight rifles in this regard-the factory option "PowerRod" remaining as a big step up. The factory Williams fire sights are backwards to my eyes, red against the face-but Knight will change them out if you prefer green next to your eyes, and red at the muzzle as I do.

Handling wise, I felt the Revolution to be both heavy and nose-heavy, and I found the cross-bolt safety slow and noisy compared to the quick to flick thumb safety on the Knight Disc Elite. The buttstock feels a bit short and stubby; and sure enough-the Revolution has at least a full half inch shorter length of pull than the Disc Elite. The Revolution also lacks the cheek-piece found on the Disc Elite, something that I wish they had not removed. The safety is reversible, though, and it seems that this and the buttstock were perhaps aimed at ambidextrous appeal.

I am a fan of Knight Rifles in general, admire their barrel quality, and (until now) exceptionally good triggers. In this case, with a blank sheet of paper in front of them, I am perplexed at what exactly was attempted to be accomplished here. For a $500 gun, it can only be described as a disappointment in my eyes. Compared to the plethora of other options available to today's muzzleloading enthusiast, I am forced to say, "Start the Revolution Without Me."

Randy Wakeman

Randy Wakeman is a gun writer who specializes in inline muzzleloaders. He gets ahold of an inline and does extensive range work with it and then does reviews. I have known him for 2 years and I know him to be knowledgable and objective.
    By the way, normally he loves Knight rifles. His most accurate inline ever is the Knight Disc Extreme, and he gets 5/8 inch groups with it.
    I am surprised to hear that the Revolution is selling so well.--A.G.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What was so bad about that? He doesn't like the trigger and thinks it gets dirty easier?
    To each his own. I find it's a dang good gun. He didn't really list any problems there.

the voices in my head don't scare me. it's only when they stop that i get a little nervous.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much to all for the input. One thing for sure is I have a lot to think about. I am going to contact several manufacturers so that I can at least have some catalogs to look at.
    Im basically thinking about a gun that I am going to shoot a few times a year, so that I feel confident when I use it during an antlerless muzzleloader season-thats why I was thinking cheap-but someone mentioned the encore, I have been thinking about purchasing one, and I forgot about the fact that the encore is also a muzzleloader. Maybe that is what Ill get-or maybe not, I have a little time to think about it.
    Idsman75- I own, and hunt with a flintlock during the "flintlock only" season in PA. That is the extent of my experience with muzzleloaders. The main reason I am looking for something else, is because I prefer shooting with a scope, and will always choose a scoped gun over a non scoped gun when it is "legal" to do so. Since the state I will be hunting allows scoped muzzleloaders, I want to use something other than the non scoped flintlock that I presently own. And I have heard that the modern guns are cleaner,and easier(not so much time spent cleaning the darn thing). Time has become a commodity these days, heck I havent been able to hunt the flintlock season the past two years. So basically I am looking for an "easier" way to go.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sal, I would say Austin & Halleck, but since you are a cheapskate[}:)] I will suggest TC Black Diamond. Love mine, does it all for only around $250.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the savage smokeless and it is GREAT. It is easy to clean because you DON"T HAVE TO every time,..only after maybe 20rnds or so. I have gotten under 1" groups when I am shooting well,..which lets me know the gun is a sub 1moa gun. All I am burning is 47gr of powder and I am getting close to what 150gr of pyrodex will deliver with 1/2 the recoil and better accuracy. Mine also has the accu-trigger which is a superb addition, very crisp and clean.

Best of all,..NON CORROSIVE powders and easy clean up. remove the bolt, loosen the front action screw, remove breech plug and swab it with hoppes. Super fast, super easy, super accurate.

While testing loads the first day I worked with it,..I loaded 47gr IMR4227 and imediately got a .978" 3shot at 100yds. Gotta love the savage 10ML

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

Best of all,..NON CORROSIVE powders and easy clean up.

What is that exACTLY? aRE YOU REFERING TO "PYRODEX", OR SOMETHING ELSE ALL TOGETHER?

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NEF Huntsman and Sidekicks are the hottest selling muzzleloaders in my shop. Easy to maintain, shoot well, scope up easily and are inexpensive ($165. to $235.). Come in blue or stainless, 24 or 26 inch barrels. Huntsman is classified as a firearm and Sidekick as a non-firearm (muzzleloader). Rifle (243) or shotgun barrel available for the Huntsman. American made and service from the company is excellent.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Originally posted by JustC

Best of all,..NON CORROSIVE powders and easy clean up.

What is that exACTLY? aRE YOU REFERING TO "PYRODEX", OR SOMETHING ELSE ALL TOGETHER?

The Savage shoots smokeless powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    AllenGriggs- What is "smokeless powder"? I know of two different powders for muzzleloaders blackpowder and "pyrodex"-is smokeless muzzleloader powder "pyrodex" or is it something else?
    If it isnt "pyrodex", but something else, what other muzzleladers shoot this smokeless powder-this is a preety important aspect of my search. If I could be shooting non corrosive powder-that is a big plus-is savage the only muzzleloader that shoots smokeless/non corrosive???

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Salzo when hes says smokeless in his savage , hes means just that , they use smokeless powder like you would load into a center fire cartridge, I'm not sure just which one they use , but that is what he means ,

the T/C encore comes in 50 cal , or you can get the new G2 Contender in a 45cal , I have both and both shoot pretty darn good [:D]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo,..yep it's RIFLE POWDER[:D] no corrosion and you don't have to be in a hurry to clean it,..just like your rifles. The powders you can use are IMR4227, N110, Lil gun, and quite a few others that fall into the samm burn rate ranges. It is THE ONLY ML THAT HAS BEEN DEVELOPED ESPECIALLY FOR SMOKELESS POWDER!! but you can still use all of the other propellants as well. many guys are experimenting with smokeless powders in other guns,..but I stay as far away from them at the range as possible. The savage receiver has been proof tested to 120,000 PSI (thats 2x the pressures in a Rem Ultra Mag)

Like I said,..I get similar velocity to the 150gr of pyrodex, with only 47gr of IMR4227 and a 240/250gr XTP and win 209 primers. It is the cats meow!!

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shoot AA 5744 and VitaVhouri N110 in mine. I am getting some VV N120.
    The Savage is a great gun, I get 1 1/2 inch groups.
    Some states prohibit smokeless.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is also 777. no sulfur. Cleans up fast and easy with just soap and water.

• Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Sal, I would say Austin & Halleck, but since you are a cheapskate[}:)] I will suggest TC Black Diamond. Love mine, does it all for only around $250.
    You at least need to check them out. If you decide you want the very best,this is where to go.http://austinhalleck.com/

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Austin Hallecks are very good guns. They are the only company that is serious about putting some nice wood on the gun. They have beautiful curly maple stocks, in the 420 series. Accurate, too.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used my T/C Omega 50 for a couple years now, and I like it a lot. They cost around $400 and are well worth every bit of that. I don't have a scope on mine yet and seem to be doing fine. I may jus leave it w/o scope. They shoot with no problem at all even in the rain. Mine is camo and stainless steel. OK, it doesn't look like a gun, but it sure shoots like one! [:D]