In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Today (Friday) is 10 years since Waco fiasco

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
Ten years ago today (Friday) the feds assaulted the Waco, Texas, compound and the stand-off began. Recently, feds have claimed they NEVER FIRED A SHOT into the compound -- though Koresh himself was wounded for several days prior to the fire that climaxed the stand-off.

Koresh was a dangerous jerk, of course, and may have been sexually abusing minors, but the plan to serve the warrant was faulty, and the cult he led was tipped off in advance of the raid, assuring a fiasco that tragically cost some feds their lives, and led to the standoff that eventually cost most of the cult their lives as well. The truth seems to be that the feds could have picked up Koresh (not his real name) any one of several times he ventured into town to shop. Instead, they tried to serve a warrant to 1) arrest Koresh and 2) search for a cache of weapons and alleged explosives, by surrounding the compound with SWAT-styled troops armed with M-16s. The result was, the feds were ambushed instead, shot at through the walls of the compound and wounded or killed without ever achieving their objectives.

The mess turned into a stand-off, with telephone negotiations and Koresh giving and breaking his word a number of times.

Law enforcement played loud irritating music from huge speakers pointed toward the compound, day and night (Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" was one that droned over and over) as psychological warfare. After 51 days, someone decided things had gone on long enough, and ordered tear gas to be inserted -- despite the fact that tear gas is often introduced using flammable sources -- apparently in the belief that the families would certainly send the women and children running out, at a minimum. Instead, the place burned down with no one emerging.

Later, aerial night-vision video came to light, purporting to show small commando units circling the compound and shooting any cult member who came near an exit and showed themselves. Also, at least one protest group claimed that video of the tanks used to insert the tear gas clearly showed "pilot lights" which they said were intentionally used to start the fires -- although the feds maintained that the fires were started by suicidal cult members.

None of these conspiracy theories was ever proven one way or the other. The only real lessons learned were that the feds were not entitled to run out of patience, that they should have snatched Koresh when he went into town rather than laying seige to the entire compound, and that families under the influence of a cult may choose death if pushed to the wall by tear gas and incendiaries. We also learned, I think, that Americans, even when brainwashed, deserve a chance to walk out alive.

There was some argument over whether the cult had enough weapons to cause the BATF concern, given the number of otherwise law-abiding citizens in the "church." There were allegations of one or two .50 BMG guns being among the guns in the arsenal, but initial reports that they were fired at the feds turned out to be questionable. As for explosives, there were no large explosions during the fire.

None of this is meant to suggest any sympathy for "Koresh." I merely record that I hope by now the feds have a better contingency plan for dealing with a large group of mostly innocent Americans, including spouses and children, who have fallen in with an apocalyptic religious cult. Beware of false prophets... they, when mixed with feds, can get you killed...

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were all "innocent" including Koresh. The feds could have busted Koresh at any time without the raid,Koresh invited the feds to search his premises on several ocassions, but the feds declined- they wanted to put on a big show because they wanted increased funding.
    As far as the charges of child molestation is concerned, it was never proved that Koresh was a child molester-the one girl who came forward, was completely discredited-turned out her parents were busting Koreshs stones. EVEN if he was a child molester, that does not give the authority to the federal government to initiate a raid. Child molestation is a matter for the states, it is not a federal issue. I remember Reno blabbing about accusations of molestation to justify the raid, but the feds had no authority to intervene in these areas to begin with.

"..filling a need and helping people-thats self determination and free enterprise backing itself up all the way-thats why we are in Europe stopping Hitler."
    -Edgar Derby
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with salzo on this one. The powers to be labled them a "cult" and their place a "compound." Just a couple of the negetive words to program the public into thinking the Dividians were some sinister group. And the so-called 50 cal. machinegun...I know the dealer who sold it to them. It was a semi-auto Barrett rifle.

I am highly familiar with this case--I testified at the trial in San Antonio. And by the way, there was never one illegal firearm produced as evidence. They all got "conveniently" burned up in the fire.

You can put this down: the Dividians were victims of agencies out of control.

Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm aware the .50 was not a machinegun. But Koresh wasn't harmless. There were two feds on the inside for a period of time. There may have been illegal weapons of one kind or another. There may have been straw purchases. Whatever the case, you don't resist arrest. Even if the first raid was a botched overdone mess, Koresh had 51 days to think it over. When a person is subject to a traffic stop, he doesn't get to claim religious freedom and barricade himself in the car. He has to go downtown and tell it to the judge. Sue for false arrest maybe, but don't direct a group of followers to arm themselves and hold off the cops indefinitely. Koresh was not wearing a white hat.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as I agree on following the law and going thru the system I have to side with the innocents. This was not a typical arrest, the feds was out to make a point, it was a show of force. The point has been made that Koresh could have been arrested many times over but instead the feds went spoiling for a fight, they knew what would happen but not to the degree it did. The feds didn't want to lose so they resorted to whatever it took to get the job done. The feds also hoped for public support and didn't get it. The raid was a political statement intended to make it more PC to go after militia groups. If they could have done what they wanted the feds would have been classified as heroes and the raid justified. Also the feds that was in the "compound" told a story, are we really to believe what they said? I take their story with a grain of salt, infact I take it with a pound of salt.

What crimes did Koresh really commit? Maybe he had some questionable firearms, how many of them being felony and how many misdemeanor?

I say his biggest goofup was he thought he was Jesus and he spoke out aganist the government. He said he would defend his home and his beliefs, he did, to the end. Was his death justified? Only he will know that answer. Was the raid justifed? Only the real planners of the raid will know that. We may never hear the absolute truth so we need to listen to the stories we hear and make up our own minds. At first when all of this was happening and the time after the raid, I was on the feds side. I thought they went after satan himself, then what I feel as the truth came out and changed my mind, now I feel for David Koresh, even he he was wacky andf thought he was Jesus, but hey this is America right? If he wanted to belive he was Jesus, then so be it!

Ok, how did I do?[:D]

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Koresh was no angel, but he could have been nabbed anytime he was in Waco, where he went frequently.

I have yet to see ONE illegal weapon seized in the raid.

The Feds knew they were making a frontal assault on a fortified position where people would violently resist, and HAD ADVANCE NOTICE of the raid. Now, HOW STUPID IS THAT?

They also knew there were women and children present and went anyway. The Feds exercised extremely poor judgement. I am no expert on tactics, but I can think of at least two alternative methods that do not involve walking into an ambush just to make a grandstand play for budget time.

And, our local Sheriff recently hired for his Chief Deputy, a retired BAT-man who was one of the raid leaders, and thinks he is great stuff. This, to me, was not a selling point.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ***And, our local Sheriff recently hired for his Chief Deputy, a retired BAT-man who was one of the raid leaders, and thinks he is great stuff. This, to me, was not a selling point.***

You had better cool-it. Talk like this could bring swarms of black-suited, masked, machinegun toting, high-top booted, beer bellied swat-sheriffs around your house.[;)]
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will
    not to attempt to defend koresh
    but I do not believe he would would have
    killed any child. that elevates him in my mind
    to the pointIMHO that any of his attackers,up
    to and including klintons, dodering old lesbian
    lap dog, would have made a pimple on his a**.
    To assume that after setting the coumpound
    on fire that the children would or could come out
    could not have more than a premediated
    calculated risk and any one willing to burn
    innocent children inside or outside the law
    is as pappy used to say not worth the powder
    and lead it would take to blow them to the
    hottest corner of hell.
  • Options
    Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems all posters here have walked past the greatest villain involved at Waco,without even seeing it,the "MEDIA", a name the out of control jackals of journalism call themselves, the "Media" is like the wind at a fire, true they don't cause the flame, but once lit.....
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a time in History when citizens should have taken up arms against our Government. A show of soladarity should have been enough to back down Reno and make them rethink if what they were doing is Right and Just.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Officials had many options, but they decided that murder would be easier. They had time to harness a harmless plan, but decided murder was better.
    Who are the criminals?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Agreed, all agreed. But even if US citizens had come out of the woodwork spontaneously and surrounded the place to defend it, a la Hollywood endings -- once the feds were stopped from destroying the place on day 51 -- the peacekeepers still would have had to turn around and say, okay David, time to come out and give yourself up. That's all I'm saying.

I agree that the feds' tactics were trumped up, overdone, and unworthy of a body representing the U.S. government. Not to mention criminal in terms of assaulting a fortified location with children inside and causing mass deaths.

Life NRA Member

• Options
    edited November -1
    The state of texas should have protected its citizens and not allowed the feds to usurp jurisdiction.

"..filling a need and helping people-thats self determination and free enterprise backing itself up all the way-thats why we are in Europe stopping Hitler."
    -Edgar Derby
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    X-RING!!!! Salzo called it.

Where was the McClennan County Sheriff? Why did he let the Federal usurpers run amok in his county? Did he abrogate his authority as the CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OF THE COUNTY?

You betcha he did.

There are very few men in law enforcement anymore, and that is one reason I am glad to be retiring from the profession in a few years.

Rafter-S, our Sheriff is Don Anderson, a retired Texas Ranger and a decent, honest, fearless man. Why he was impressed with the BAT-man's credentials is a mystery to me. I don't worry about being raided. Bunch of good ol' boys on the SO SWAT team, wouldn't bother me. The ones on the team that use the shotgun, I TRAINED.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes! And where was Ann Richards...the DEMOCRAT governer at the time? [:(!]
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    These people were known in the area as a little strange, but nice folks. They were in Mt. Caramel, and I have a life long friend who lives a few miles away in Mt. Calm. He said they were always willing to help a neighbor, and never caused trouble.

If you do a little research, you will find that the Secretary of the Treasury under Bill Clinton was former Texas Senator Loyd Benson. At the time of this raid, Clinton was trying to convince the public to support gun control. The South was the real problem, and Texas especially.

I believe Benson used his contacts in Texas to set up a large raid to show the country, especially Texans, how bad the illegal gun problem had become. I believe this was a staged event for the news media. That's why they were tipped off and were there.

It went wrong, and lots of people where killed. Clinton, Reno, Benson, the BATF, and the FBI are all to blame.

On another note, remember that they had cut off the power to the compound. The people inside were using open flames for light and to cook with. It was a windy day (30-40 MPH winds) and they wanted to insert tear gas. In the wind, tear gas disperses quickly. Kerosine is used to weight it in windy conditions so it won't disperse so quickly. If you inject atomized kerosine over an open flame, what happens? Who do you think started a fire in winds that would fuel it to an inferno?

Just my opinion.

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There's a lady living down south of me someplace who produces documentaries on the "black helicopters" and such (aren't they all black now?), but the point is a few years ago she made a documentary on Waco which clearly showed flames on the tips of the gas tubes which the tanks were inserting into the building. The same footage which is government issued does not show these flames. I always wondered who was doctoring their footage. But then the nightscope aerial footage came out showing very definite "bursts" of light from entities circling the property. It all smells very, very bad, and when you factor in the Clintonistas' interest in selling gun control to the American people, I have very little trouble believing a strong circumstantial case for government conspiracy on this.

I always assumed the feds trumped local law enforcement on matters like this one. In any case, I would not argue with anyone with superior knowledge of the subject matter. I still don't think rock star wannabe Koresh (his stage name) was somebody I'd care to know or have anything to do with. Nevertheless, they don't shoot you for being an American Idol reject...

Life NRA Member

• Options
    edited November -1
    Offeror-I could be wrong about this, but I think as fart as the feds are concerned, they have jurisdiction over anything they want to have jurisdiction over, notwithstanding the constitution. It is the responsibility of the states, to keep the feds in check when they stray outside the boundaries of the constitution.
    THis was at one time a regular practice in this country. One example, occuring around the inception of this nation, was when the supreme court involved itself in a case between Georgia and one of its citizens. The state of Georgia saw this usurpation by the supreme court as unconstitutional. Georgia did not obey the ruling, and passed a law, stating if any federal agents attempted to enforce the unconstitutional law, they would be "hung without the benefit of clergy". Needless to say, no federal agents went to Georgia to enforce the law.
    Another example is the nullification of the alien and sedition acts. The states of virginia and Kentucky objected to laws that were passed, and nullified the unconstitutional federal laws-no federal agents went in to enforce the unconstitutional laws.
    What could Texas have done? They could have objected like crazy to the Feds wanting to go in and raid the compound.They could have told them that they would not allow them to trample on the rights of their citizens. At the least, it would have held things up for awhile.
    And after the raid started, they could have sent law enforcement in, to prevent the Feds from continuing the raid. What would the feds do? They gonna start a shootout with Texas law enforcement. If Texas stood in the way, just a little bit, the feds would have backed down, and they certainly would not have sent tanks and helicopters in. The feds faced absolutely no resistance from the Texas authority, so they could do whatever they pleased. A little resistance from the state, and Waco would have gone another way.

-Edgar Derby
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo -- Good points, though your examples reach pretty far back to the wild and wooly days of the developing Union. I hardly think today that any state would dare to hang a fed without benefit of clergy. [:D] They would at least have a pastor on hand... [:D]

Are there modern-day examples of the states seriously challenging the feds in such a way, or is this one of those "we don't have to pay taxes" type arguments? I agree Texas could have done something, but they probably had no idea how outrageously poor the feds' plan was, in their defense. Who could have predicted the feds would keep away firetrucks, EMTs, and continue to hold the media 2 miles off?

We could have had a better view of things from the Hubble telescope than the media position afforded.

Life NRA Member

• Options
    Jungle JimJungle Jim Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live about 15 minutes away from Elk, Texas which is the closest town to where the tragedy occurred. Waco has gotten a bad rap on this; it didn't even happen there. Anyway, I watched and listened to all the video tape of the first raid, and never heard any automatic weapon fire. One of the first rules I was taught in UW was to never get on a roof in a firefight and they did it.

Koresh was an idiot in my opinion, but there were a lot of idiots involved in this scenario. He could've been arrested any Saturday night in a biker bar where he like to play his terrible music, but they chose to make a statement with a large posse on TV.

I've been to the site, and won't go back --- got a terrible eerie feeling there --- all those people lost their lives over stupidity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ***I've been to the site, and won't go back --- got a terrible eerie feeling there***

I had a terrible eerie feeling at San Antonio when the trial was going on. The feeling was possibly even spiritual...but it was telling me something very bad was going on--something I didn't want to be a part of. When one of the Branch Dividians would walk by, even the women and kids, I could feel it in the atmosphere. My hair would stand on end. I was wondering if this was a pivit point where our nation was taking a turn for the worse...or God was very displeased.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Offeror- I am sure these days the offender would be denied a constitutional right if he was denied clergy.
    It is kind of funny. Bad enough they are gonna hang the offender, but to screw them in the after life by denying them clergy-thats viscious.
    I seem to remember very recently that a state denied a federal law. I think it had to do with homeland security, and I believe the state was Washington or Oregon. Ill have to check on the details, but I remember hearing or reading about it.

-Edgar Derby