In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Turkey Call?? Diaphram/mouth

270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
I was just at the Erie Outdoor show and bought a kit of turkey calls, it came with a slate call that had slate on one side and glass on the other. It also came with two strikers, a crow locator call and a dipahram call. I cant figure out how to use the mouth call. It's a double reed, and I know to put the shorter reed on the bottom but, How do you make turkey noises, I cant seem to make any kind of sound.

"If it's brown, it's down" crosshair.gif

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In order to sound like a bird, you have to think like a bird.

"..filling a need and helping people-thats self determination and free enterprise backing itself up all the way-thats why we are in Europe stopping Hitler."
    -Edgar Derby
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hows that gonna make me sound better on a mouth call?

• Options
    edited November -1
    try turning it around-not upside down, just turn it half a circle.
    Also note that many people cant make those things work. I have known quite a few hunters who cant make a sound with diaphragm calls-I think if you practice enough you will get it.

"..filling a need and helping people-thats self determination and free enterprise backing itself up all the way-thats why we are in Europe stopping Hitler."
    -Edgar Derby
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also, dont work so hard. Start by saying "kee- kee" nice and easy. Do not use that much air.

-Edgar Derby
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Our there any other things I should try to say beside kee-kee????

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the call and place it in your mouth. Now take you tounge and push it to the roof of your mouth using the forward most part of your tounge. Now gently blow across the top of your tounge while relaxing it at the same time. To understand what I mean, leave the call out, now leave you mouth open in a relaxed way, now exahle and while you are doing that raise you tounge untill the air stops, now try that with the call in your mouth, relaxing your tounge and then raising it back up. There is a trick to get sounds but once you get the sounds you will be amazed at how easy it is. Talking turkey on it is easy if you know the sounds you want, the hardest one purring and I have no idea how to explain that. There are many many technics(sp?) to talking with a turkey call but it is sooo easy once you get the hang of it. I havent touched a slate or box call in atleast 10 years after learning how to use a mouth call. Also if your ears are like mine, I don't hear the call like you would standing next to me, so I record myself calling and play it back so I can heasr what I really sound like and then I compare it to recorded turkey sounds or an instructional tape I have.

Hope this helps.

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Now this is something I'd like to see video of, 270 Deer Slayer sitting in front of his computer reading 7mm nuts post, and trying to make the mouth call work!![:D][:D][:D]

The mouth call is hard to get used to, but they are what I've called turkeys in close with. Partly because you can have your gun up and pointed in the general direction of where the turkeys are coming from, and not be moving your hands around with a slate, or a pushbutton.

The slate is best for purring, IMHO. A Cody II slate w/ a hickory striker.

I take my mouth calls with me in the truck, 3-4 weeks before season and practice while driving down the road. Doesn't drive the wife crazy that way either. Keep the mouth calls in the fridge when you are not using them, so it said on the back of the package when I bought some, but don't let them freeze.

Good luck, and get a big gobbler!!
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I hate mouth calls, can't get used to them, slate and box works fine for me. I agree mouth calls do have there advantages, but they are not necessary to be successful! Besides there always in the way, us Pa. Slob hunters like to take a six pack with us when were hunting![:D][:D]

pablue.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    shotgunredshotgunred Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    first of all you do not want the call to fair in the front of your mouth this will cause it to hit the back of your teeth not good ,second you do not want the call to fair back in your mouth this will cause you to gag you want to put it in the middle and then try to blow air out using the word cholk,cholk this will ghive you a sound like a hen so you may want to try and say cholk cholk chol kee kee cholk chol cholk
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can make some sounds now, Some sounds sound like turkeys, and others sound like ducks, crows and elk.

• Options
    edited November -1
    May I suggest at least starting with a single reed call? They are easier to work-once you get proficient with the single reed, go to the double if you think it is necessary.

-Edgar Derby