In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.32 H&R Mag?

p64makp64mak Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in General Discussion
So--have taken the girlfriend out for a couple of range sessions...since she instructed riflery at a summer camp, she shoots a .22 rifle better than I...and with my handguns, she likes my .22's (Buckmark, H&R Sentinel, Contender), but thought my 9mm's (Star BM, HK P7M8, 92FS) and .38 revolvers (GP100 & Taurus Tracker loaded with .38's) too much. She hated my P64 in 9x18 (even with the light recoiling S&B loads). I didn't even consider handing her something that began with a "4"...she also prefers revolvers to autos.

Now--I've convinced her (actually, she convinced herself after several break ins where she lives) that she should have a firearm in her apartment...I lent her my Sentinel but I want her to have more than a .22 for defense. I'm looking at a SP101 in .32 H&R (probably a 3 or 4" barrel)...I trust the platform, but how is the round as far as recoil? I don't have any friends with one, and have never found one for rent...I'd end up ordering it, so...I'd like a little info before I get one.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice is to keep her working with the GP-100 with 38 special wadcutters until she is OK with them.

If not, the 32 H&R is still much better than a 22 and wouldn't recoil much more than a 22 in a SP-101.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...A little practice w/a larger caliber wouldn't hurt.
    At least she is over the hump of being afraid of handguns, good start.
    I'd give a look at a .380...and see how she feels about that...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have any .380's...but in my experience, a Walther PPK/S recoils harder than my Mak.

And since she seems more comfortable with revolvers...I figured I'd encourage that. When she shot .38's, they were light wadcutters...she just didn't like 'em.

My next step would be .22WMR...but I'd prefer centerfire for reliability.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I would suggest she try out a Sig232 380 in all stainless or a stainless lady smith model 36 S&W 38 special.

Both of the guns in all steel, not the lightweight versions, since your post made it clear she avoids recoil.

Both of the above guns are easy to shoot, reliable, and accurate. The bonus of stainless steel is that they require less maintence.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    (warming up time--0* windchill makes it hard to shoot for long)

Sig232--I appreciate the input, but would a Ladysmith .38 have less perceived recoil than an all-steel GP100?
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Ladysmith is forged steel, GP is cast.

D.
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is going to be a house gun and not carried, the weight of the SP101 would be a big help. The recoil of the 32 mag in the heavy SP101 is quite mild, I have shot one. The 32 mag hollowpoint effectiveness is somewhere between a standard 38 and a +P 38. I think the 32 mag in a 3" SP101 would be a fine choice. And the 32 mag SP101 is a 6 shot, so it gives her one more shot than the same gun in 38.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three .32 mags. they are my favorite caliber.Way less recoil compared to a .38 spl.and very close in stopping power,more so if you reload.Ruger SP 101 comes in two barrel lengths both with adjustable sights 3 1/16" and 4" Heavy barrel. A customer bought one for himself and liked it so much he bought one for his wife. [8D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Go with a .357 Tracker with a 6" barrel and let her shoot .38's out of it for practice...then keep .357's in it for self defense. If she ever has to use it for self defense, she won't even notice the recoil...and it's potent enough to stop her attacker. The heavier 6" Tracker will keep the recoil down...especially with .38's...it's very manageable and should be no problem for her to shoot. She needs to use enough gun, or else she runs the risk of someone taking it from her and using it on her.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1