In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Back Window Gun Racks

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
I have noticed alot more guns in the rear windows of pickups here in WV. I guess it reflects the current sentiment, havent seen it like this in a long time.

Comments

  • realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    i wish it was like that here again.... but i dont think it will happen
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Around these parts, people don't use the rear racks much anymore.

    The overhead racks are alot more popular.

    Most folks won't notice a gun on the ceiling of a pick up truck.

    Easier access too. Makes putting a bead on a zombie/woodchuck/coyote much faster.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by realspeed
    i wish it was like that here again.... but i dont think it will happen


    Just hanging out a red meat sign for thieves in Birmingham .
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    I don't see many around here these days. At least not like it used to be. In fact I can't tell you when the last one I saw was. It's been several years though I know.

    I'm not sure if it's even legal anymore or not in IN. Maybe Freemind or another IN member knows.

    It's something I should figure out for sure though. Because I'd like to put a gun rack in my pick up one of these days. Just for when I grab a couple and run to the farm if nothing else.

    Right now I just put the butt stock on the floor and lean it on the seat. It's only 2 miles down the road.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    I don't see many around here these days. At least not like it used to be. In fact I can't tell you when the last one I saw was. It's been several years though I know.

    I'm not sure if it's even legal anymore or not in IN. Maybe Freemind or another IN member knows.

    It's something I should figure out for sure though. Because I'd like to put a gun rack in my pick up one of these days. Just for when I grab a couple and run to the farm if nothing else.

    Right now I just put the butt stock on the floor and lean it on the seat. It's only 2 miles down the road.

    Yes, it is still legal. Must be "unloaded" however. [;)]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't find a window gun rack that will stay up in a Silverado. Wish I could.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 49,588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't see them at all out here. Might as well have a sign saying, "Steal this rifle." They are legal, even loaded.
  • legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I can't find a window gun rack that will stay up in a Silverado. Wish I could.
    I have 3 chevrolet trucks , all have racks that stay up[?]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legionkahn
    I have 3 chevrolet trucks , all have racks that stay up[?]
    I had a 1987 Chevrolet from 1987 to 2003 with a window rack you couldn't knock loose with dynamite. When I got the Silverado in '03 it didn't have the weather strip gasket to hold the rack. I tried a couple of the "glue to the window" types, but they didn't stay up very long.

    Do you have a type of rack I don't know about or know the secret to making the glue up work?

    I'm going with the overhead mount and I like it ok, but I still miss the window mount. If you can give me a name brand and source of supply, it would be greatly appreciated.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    Around these parts, people don't use the rear racks much anymore.

    The overhead racks are alot more popular.

    Most folks won't notice a gun on the ceiling of a pick up truck.

    Easier access too. Makes putting a bead on a zombie/woodchuck/coyote much faster.


    crap... there are zombies in Freemont??? Are they coming south from Lansing or moving north from Fort Wayne? I've always thought they went dormant in the summer.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    Mine has a ball bat, a ball cap, a baseball glove, a pair of ear muffs, and a fishing rod. I don't have room for a gun in there. I just put my rifle behind the seat, my revolver and ammo in the glove compartment and have a pocket in front of the seat for a shotgun.
  • aw3olaw3ol Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got one for a Dodge Dakota 2005 (SLT?)
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seen a few of them in MO. I want one.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    now this was back in the early 70's
    we went to school with rifles & shotguns
    in the rack, parked on school grounds.
    now those were the days.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I dont think guns are safe anymore
    I wish I had a rear glass screen
    with a rack loaded with guns.
    do you think you might get pulled
    over in a school zone[8D]
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Late 60s Early 70s
    Road the Bus to School With A Rifle Or Shotgun
    Had to Set Behind The Driver With it
    Then When You Got to School took it in Put it in Your Locker
    After school you Took it out and Did the Same Bus Routine On a friends Bus to his Home then Hunted After School ...
    Routine in Reverse next Day .
    What a Wonderful World That was.[^][:D][:D][:D][:D]


    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    now this was back in the early 70's
    we went to school with rifles & shotguns
    in the rack, parked on school grounds.
    now those were the days.
  • timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would never display my firearms like that, your just asking for someone to come by break your window and run off with them,
    now i do got a pickup and a holder behind the seat works just fine,
    just my opion
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    sure is hard on your rifle. mine sits next to me ready to rock in the front compartment. you see gun racks on the ranch trucks out here but you only see shotguns and open sight rifles on them. you would be a dumb * to stick a scope mounted rifle up there. plus, you get UV damage, moisture from your cab and all sorts of other problems with a rack.

    i have a nice rubber coated metal one if anybody wants it. send me an email. fits all standard american pickups
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen a rifle/shotgun in a rear window mount in years. I know the guns are inside the trucks but out of sight, mine are.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    they are illegal here in MN and WI. In MN must be unloaded and in a case for transport.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 49,588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You needing one for an 1885 Cartod? I will get you one if so, but I am not sure how you are going to mount that sucker in your FJ.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    they are illegal here in MN and WI. In MN must be unloaded and in a case for transport.


    talk about a lamn law, if you have a CCW can you have a loaded rifle in the truck? I know CCW is concealed, but if you pass their checks and balance, they should let you have a loaded rifle in the cab, loaded
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in michigan you can't do it unless you WANT to go to Jail!
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Still sell 'em here in NW Wyoming. See them on the streets, although usually empty. I tend to prefer less visibility, except when hunting.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd love to have a rack in my truck. Here in Miami, FL that's not a good idea at all though.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,807 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    they are illegal here in MN and WI. In MN must be unloaded and in a case for transport.


    talk about a lamn law, if you have a CCW can you have a loaded rifle in the truck? I know CCW is concealed, but if you pass their checks and balance, they should let you have a loaded rifle in the cab, loaded


    its off the topic but that is an interesting question. In Virginia we have Concealed Handgun Permits, not concealed carry permits so that permit apparently doesn't cover you for carrying a rifle concealed, I went and looked at the statute and it only deals with "handguns"....I guess one could be charged for concealed weapon if they had a loaded rifle behind their seat, even with a Concealed Handgun Permit.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    they are illegal here in MN and WI. In MN must be unloaded and in a case for transport

    haveing the rack in your truck is NOT illegal , just putting a uncase gun in it would be , here is WI ALL firearms must be completly unloaded and fully enclosed in a case with NO part of the firearm visible

    and there is NO CCW in Wi :(
Sign In or Register to comment.