In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

good load for 209x50 ???? help

gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
edited November 2004 in General Discussion
for some reason I can't seem to get my encore 209x50 or my contender 209x45 to shoot good this year , these are both rifles , i've tried several different bullets , weights , powders , primers nothing seems to help ,,, any one have a tried and true load for either ? would like to stay around the 100gr load for the encore and maybe even a little less for the contender because my son will be shooting that

shooting is done off a brench at 100 yards , the encore has a Bushnell Holosight on it , 1 min. dot , all screws are tight , bore was cleaned before I started shooting and is swabed bvetween each shot with a wet patch ( bore cleaner ) followed by a dry patch, the contender is the new G2 with open sights ,

I've tried loose powder and pellets , clean shot , 777, and pyrodex
most shots are pretty good left and right but I getting alot of vertal stringing , some things a foot or more between shots

the encore is several years old and as always been a little fussy but has always settled down , and shot good groups , i just don't know whats going on this year

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunsmith says that is due to the action pin being soft and wearing. He told me that he reams them out to a larger size and replaces the pin with a larger hardened stainless pin. You may also want to look to see how bad the erosion is on the breech plug. As these guns get higher in pressure,..the erosion will start to affect accuracy just as in a rifle.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    breech plug has no wear that i can see , inside is still nice and smooth and the pin is still very tight , you have to tap it in and out, that would be tight enough wouldn't it?
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a similar problem with a Ruger No. 1. It could be that the forearm is not tight enough. You might also check the screw lugs on the barrel. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll check those out ,, thanks