In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another 4x4 question, front lockers

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in General Discussion
I am still contemplating the addition of a front locker to my Tahoe, not now, but possibly in the future. I'm just not sure I want to have the undesireable 'no steering' condition of a locked up front end. I dont have experience with this actually, but have heard about it from others, described as, 'you tend to go straight when using a locker in mud, even if you are trying to turn'. What do any of you know about this? I know the Detroit locker is best, by general concensus, getting that installed in the rear next week, but maybe I could go with a very good, but different locker in the front, that will allow the vehicle to steer better when the front wheels are turned? Whadaya think?

marinesega2.jpg
SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ryan, you are finally statring to turn into a redneck[:D]

You do know that Detroit Locker is going to make you think the rearend is broke don't you? They clunk like crazy on turns.

For the front end, just install a set of Warn manual hubs and use a limited slip differential in the front.
    Now if you want true lockup in the front look into a Detroit Air Locker.

One more thing, and I speak from experiance on this, since you are installing a locker in the rear you will want to upgrade the axles. You put larger tires on this didn't you? I see a breakdown in your future.

4X4'n is not like putting a cam in an old V8 car or adding a bigger carb, on trucks mods come in a series, when you do onoe there will be atleast one or two more to follow.

Politicians are like diapers, every so often you need to change them, for obvious reasons.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Save your money & leave it stock.
    Adding on aftermarket equipment is a pain, sometimes you get the expected results, most often you dont.
    If the truck has any warranty left adding on aftermarket rearend carriers or hubs can void your warranty. It also brings down the saleability and resell of the truck to the genral market.
    But, its your truck, do what ever you want to.
    A locked rear end is good for straight line driving only, it wont corner off road or worse on the asplaht worth a crap. Plus it will eat tires like crazy.
    A unlocked (one-legged) stock rear end is a better choice for drivability.
    Electric locking hubs for the front axle is a good ideal, you ALMOST get the same results as using a locked carrier for off road, but still have streetabilty.
    Walte

Walte
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm,
    Nah, I am not upgrading the truck's axles, or its tires, or installing a lift. I have to keep it family friendly, and it'll be a daily driver, making frequent trips down the highway, so I am just going to keep it more or less stock, with the exception of increasing its traction capabilities. I've pretty much ruled out even going with a bigger tire that might fit without a lift too. I'm going to control this obsession, as a vehicle is the worst investment you can make. Its just not a gun. It'd be too easy to sink money into it that I'd never get back, or just throw away on tire rubber. My only desire is to have a vehicle capable of taking me down the worst hunting trail I need to navigate, not to go mudding, rock climbing, or boony hopping. I know, it'd be fun to do, but I dont have the money for that.[V]

marinesega2.jpg
    edited November -1
    IAMACLONE_2,
    Its long past its warranty, so that not of any consideration anymore. Like I told 7mm, I gotta have at least 3 wheels pulling for me off road though, so the rear is gonna be locked. I'm use to the clunking, drove a few M1003 ? in my time, it dont bother me anymore.[;)]

marinesega2.jpg
  • nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Samurai lifted 5" with 31's. Put a Detroit EZ-locker in the rear and it sounded like a ratchet every time I went around a corner.
    Click..click...click...click...click

When I would make a turn even at 5-10mph and hit the gas it would lock up and send me into a round and round spin like a toy.

I never got stuck with it offroad.

Go with a limited slip unless your going to keep it off road.

Let's say you have those locks on your front hub, spool the front end. You can unlock one front wheel for highway use and to have a normal steering radius.

jesus2000x.jpg?mtbrand=NS_US

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    - Jesus Christ in Luke 22:36
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ah don't be so technical, back in my stock car days we just welded up the rear end!
    Now that Im getting older Ma would be happy if she could weld up mine!!!![:I]

pa.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • ToolbabeToolbabe Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lockers in the front are really nice that way you dont have to carry your stuff all the way through the building

Master mess sargent RRG
    Flying-witch18.gif
    Oh my God! is the beginning of a prayer, not a one liner!
    We come into this life with nothing, everything after this is our treasure
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    PA , ROFLMAO

JuJu (who's wife feels the same way)
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally wouldn't put lockers on it unless it was for drag racing or nearly purely off-road.
    I'd put either a standard limited-slip rear or a air-locker. For the front, I'd get only an air locker.
    At least in the area that we go, the extra pulling power of a true 4x4 won't be needed often. My brother-in-law's truck has factory limited slip in the rear and air up front and we've only engaged the front one a couple of times, we've always been able to do something if we couldn't turn as we wanted (we could back out, go a different way, etc).

I have a factory TYPE limited-slip in my 85 2wd Chevy C-10 and it is really great in the snow and ice, and mud to a point. However, if the front of my truck starts "plowing" in the mud then I'm usually stuck... And yes, I'll second 7mm_nut on the rear differential noise.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many yrs. ago I had an old Int. Scout with posi on both ends.
    Sorriest POS I ever drove in the snow, but fine every where else.(if you didnt mind the anemic chipmunk that passed for a power plant)
    In the snow, if both ends were locked,(which they mostly were) &there was ANY camber to the road, the vehicle would just do a slow slide into the downhill ditch! Another true mechanical marvel from the fine folks that brought you the square-headed bolt!
    [xx(][xx(]barto (NOT an IH fan)

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Best not done in anything without a solid axle. Best not in anything but pure off road.

Even then an air locker or some sort of mechanism that you can control. Otherwise plan on some unscheduled trips out into the boonies... But all four will be powered so you can be happy for that.

Best solution I've found so far says Case 450C. It's slow, it's loud, it's uncomfortable, but she's a real locker! Hard on paved roads, though.[:D]

Nord
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I been off roadin most my life.....never saw the need or had the desire,more problems than its worth.Oh and yes we DO have off road here,water com'n in the windows,can't see for the mud...smellin the mud burnin on the pipes...oh ya...love it,better off with good extraction equipment in my opinion.....amyhow theres my 2
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. guys, guess I'll just wait and see how things go with the rear locker, then take it from there.

marinesega2.jpg
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barto: what do you mean yer scout was a pos? ive got a 70 with posi on both ends, 456:1 differentials, and havent found anything that goes in the snow/mud/backroad mountain 4x4 trails like it does. one of the best trucks ive ever had. of course, i dont have the little 4 cylinder that came with it, guy before me put a 392 in it...drinks gas like no tomorrow but definitly does not lack for pulling power.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rob,
    I once drove a Detroit locker on the street, never again. There is a reason that none of the pavement race car (roundy rounders or road course) boys use them.
    If you do go with a Detroit locker in that truck, be sure to carry a clean pair of skivvies in the glove box. The first time you have to a evasive manauver you will find out why (the darn things will lock up halfway thru, and just when you get that change in direction handled they'll unlock and toss you the other way befor locking again)

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner, in that heavy of a vehicle I doubt he will slide too much. If he has any kind of traction I see over a period of time parts failures coming or his tires being tore up.

Politicians are like diapers, every so often you need to change them, for obvious reasons.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    robsguns: stay away from any type of lock up in the front if you plan on using this thing for highway use in the winter , when you get into snow at even slow highway speeds it will throw you all over the place as it trys to keep power going to both front tires , it will pull to which ever side get the most traction big time , not good, been there , done that and had it removed,,, but on the other hand if its for off road them go for it
    edited November -1
    gskyhawk,
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. One thing I've been made aware of by one person is that the front wheels wont affect the drivability of the vehicle at all, even with a locker, provided I'm not locking in the 4x4 on road. Thats a point I'm keeping in mind. I am learning, however, that everyone pretty much has no use for the lockers on a vehicle that is used as a road warrior, only an off road vehicle. I am set on purchasing and installing the locker in the rear, for better or for worse. With the type of driving I will be doing off road, I HAVE to have both rear wheels working for me. My major concern is that I know the tendency of a front axle with a locker to really screw up your ability to steer. I have to have a better traction system than what I currently have, from my very little experience with it so far I know this. I believe what I need is a good, but passive, maybe selectable locker in the front diff. I dont know, I'm new at this, just guessing.[?]

I've heard a few good things about the ARB, but so many bad things........I just dont know about that, but it seems thats what I'd need, but in a fool proof system. I'm leaning toward looking for an Eaton electronic locker for the front, if they have it, I'll have to look.

marinesega2.jpg
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Axlerfan- I went directly from the Scout to a Landcruiser & never looked back. I'll admit a few more horses probably would have made the Scout more enjoyable(plus a wider stance & power steering).
    [8D][8D]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK