In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever seen an eagle swim?

Comments

• Options
    bigboy12bigboy12 Member Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way cool! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to believe that they couldn't swim.

About 2 years ago saw one in the ocean. 1/4 mile from shore doing that same swimming, but I though he was drowning. I slowly came closer in my lobsterboat and was going to see if it would grab my gaff and get out of the water.

When I was about 10ft away the eagle gave me a seriously FU look and took off flying. About 1 sec later a * popped up and started furiously gasping for breath.

So I had seriously pissed off the eagle but for the * he must have felt he had just won the megamillions.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was really cool! I had never even entertained the idea Eagles could swim like that![:)]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nature is amazing
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ

About 2 years ago saw one in the ocean. 1/4 mile from shore doing that same swimming, but I though he was drowning. I slowly came closer in my lobsterboat and was going to see if it would grab my gaff and get out of the water.

When I was about 10ft away the eagle gave me a seriously FU look and took off flying. About 1 sec later a * popped up and started furiously gasping for breath.

So I had seriously pissed off the eagle but for the * he must have felt he had just won the megamillions.

What is a "*"?
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kids liked it, thanks
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

What is a "*"?

Yes whats a *
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I called the wife in to watch this. I made the comment "I didn't know eagles could swim", she said "they can if they're riding a fish".

Cracked me up. [:D]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    That was really cool! I had never even entertained the idea Eagles could swim like that![:)]
    +1 [:)][:)][8D][8D]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish

Me neither. I guess now I really do know everything. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard they could do that, but had never seen it.
    That bird must have had a pedicure or something with all those failed passes![:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A * is basically a black cormorant. I have always heard them called shags growing up. Not really sure which bird we have here.

I looked up * and got a whole list of birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*_(bird)
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Breast stroke!
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen a similar video before, that's neat; that Eagle endeavored to persevere! [8D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On an Alaskan cruise we slowly passed an eagle making numerous unsuccessful passes on a water bird.
    It hit the duck or cormorant at least six times before we passed it.
    I lost respect for the eagle's ability after that.
    The bird was much smaller than the Bald Eagle.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is a *??
    EDIT: Never mind saw it.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    On an Alaskan cruise we slowly passed an eagle making numerous unsuccessful passes on a water bird.
    It hit the duck or cormorant at least six times before we passed it.
    I lost respect for the eagle's ability after that.
    The bird was much smaller than the Bald Eagle.

I've seen them miss once or twice, but never that many times.
    Many years ago, we had a nesting pair of eagles down by the lake across from me.

I saw one of them several times snag a bass on the first pass, but tried to hit a '*' as it has now been defined a couple of times. Maybe it has something to do with the feathers?

An osprey is deadly when it comes to nailing fish,.....one swoop, it's over.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Eagles enjoy playing in shallow water, but they dont "swim" per se' unless they end up in the water by accident, as this one did, then they go into survival mode.

...IF they are very far from land, they tire and drown...especialy the sub adult & juvinile Eagles...1 to 4 years of age, or "dirty birds" as they are referred to because they have not yet attained their white head feathers and are a mottled brown & black in color.

...Experience & age as with most everything gives Eagles the strength and muscle control to use their wings to "swim" to land if its not too far, or, the strength to take flight off the water...which is very hard for an Eagle since they "launch" themselves into flight, they dont get a "runnung" start as a lot of other very large birds do...pure wing muscle strength...[;)]

** LIVE CAM:..VERY COOL...Decorah, Iowa nest...these Eaglets just hatched, 1st egg hatched 3/27, 2nd egg 3/28, and the 3rd egg 3/30...so these Eaglets all hatched in the last week.[:D] Same pair of Eagles, same nest at least 3 years...this pair usually hatches & fledge 3 Eaglets, a very successful pair.

**LIVE CAM..http://www.sportsmansparadiseonline.com/Decorah_Bald_Eagle_Nest.html
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    That was a first for me, and a pretty smart bird too.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Colt,.....thanks for that link.
    I have watched it before, but couldn't remember the name.[;)]
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    When I lived in Sitka we woulg go out fishing around the islands. When we caught a rock fish we would throw it back. Because it's air bladder was sticking out, it could not go under water. Eagles would come from out of nowhere and try too grab them. Once in a while they would miss and end up in the water. They cannot lift off from the water like a duck can so they would have swim too the nearset beach.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

What is a "*"?

Yes whats a *

OP must have meant "SHAD".
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    *=Cormorant. (At least on the left coast-AKA "targets")
    [^]barto[^]