In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I just bought a Springfield M6 Scout.

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Last paycheck I bought another two guns. I'm now up to x68 owned firearms. My Mosler safe is about to pop its so full. Well there I was at one of the local gunshops, browsing around. Two bills and some change in my pocket, looking for a quick fix. My most favorite pusher was there too. The one who gives me employee discounts, because I buy there so much. And there it was, a little Springfield M6 Scout .22lr/.410ga. It had some dust on it from sitting out so long. I asked how much out the door, and it was less than what was one the price tag, and less than I had to spend, so I bought it.

I got home, went straight to my cleaning station, picked out my short rimfire rod, pulled out the nessesary chemicals, and started preping her for shooting. Obviously it had been test fired at the factory. I brought the bores to bright shines, and lubricated the moving parts, then put a thin coat of preservative on everything else. I read thru the little instruction manual. Then I got out some snap caps and tested it out.

Shouldering it was, at best, awkward. The shortness of the pull was similar to that of a "youth" gun. And the trigger was far from ergonomical. There is no forestock, and the hammer blocks any real grip around the stock you can get. The gun is nearly all metal except for the plastic cartridge compartment insert, which also is the butt plate, and the rubber cheeck pad. The reciever and the trigger guard are both stamped and folded sheet metal. The front sight/barrel band, the breech block, and the extractor look cast. I think that the only milled parts are the barrels and maybe the shear. I'm supprised the gun cost as much as it did, it probably cost less than a Jennings to manufacture. Its made by CZ, and I do have to admit that though it seems to be a cheap gun, it has some pretty good strong component, and I don't know what guage the sheet metal reciever is, but its thick.

After a good 10 minute orientation, I loaded up and headed my parents, to try it out on some dirt dobber mounds in the field. The first thing I shot was the top .22lr barrel. It has a flip sight for the rifle and shotgun, going from a peep for rifle to a v-notch for the shotgun. Though the gun didn't shoulder very well, the sight picture seem'ed pretty good. My first shot blew a much pile away. When I opened the gun to extract the shell, I had my first letdown. The extractor didn't lift. Well according to the manual it says to pull the sides of the extractor, and with little effort, it came up. But the spent rimfire case was lodged in the chamber pretty good, though partially extracted. After a little gentle manipulation it finally pry'd free. After having the same resualt with the following shots I decided to grab out my trustee gerber multi-tool and use the plyers to give my fingernails a break. Thought the gun was right on que with every shot, extraction was a constant pain. I then fired the lower shotgun barrel using some #7 1/2 shot. It didn't really kick much, and extracted a whole lot easier. Though the barrel has a fixed full chock, my patterns seemed pretty big.

Anyway, I was kinda disappointed overall with the gun, mainly because it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be. Though I was impressed with its capability and value as a survival tool. And just that from a practical standpoint I think it would make a horrible hunting gun. But there's almost no reason not to have it on you when hiking, fishing, or whatever. The little gun practically breaks down into nothing. It could be stashed pretty much anywhere, and the self contained cartridge box in the butstocks keeps you from having to have a seperate container. Its like an all in one "swiss army" gun. And it did go bang everytime I pulled the trigger. Its definately something that will go with me on those little adventures, just in case I might need to scrounge up some food.

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M6 isn't pretty and it isn't perfect but it would be wonderful to have if you absolutely positively needed it.

Here's a hint. Get some of that military 550 cord and wrap it tight around the barrels. It makes for a nice durable makeshift handguard and 550 cord makes for another addition to the survival kit.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a .22lr/.410 a lot for rabbits and squirrels. If it wasn't for that "trigger" I'd own one. It's definately not a Savage 24...

Oh, thanks for the review - it furthers my thinking that this (like the AR-7) isn't really practical day-to-day, but could definately have its uses.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I've always wanted one of those to go in my... guess what??... survival kit.

In the kit now is my ancient 1st Gen AR-7 SURVIVAL rifle, that I bought new.

I think these are firearms which are a step below "utilitarian". They are cheap, ugly and can be knocked around a lot. I think they're just about perfect survival kit rifles.

And... I'm sure that no one here would think about disagreeing with me - right?

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wish they'd make a bolt gun like the AR-7 (or at least one that will work without jamming every other shot). Great idea, poorly done. I had one from several of the manufacturers and none of them worked worth a flip. I typically loaded only a single round at a time because I had one jam in such a way that it actually tore the bullet off and spill powder into the action. Not what you want on ANY gun, not to mention a rimfire and in a survival situation.
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Lee,
    I have one in black, and then bought the other. Surprized me how well it shoots, but do agree on the funky trigger being awkward at first. Have had no extraction problems with mine.

Great gun for my canoe trips for small game suppers.

DW & bambi,
    also have all models of the AR-7 and love the older ones, only have problems with the newest version from AR-7 Industries. The Armalites, Henry's and Charter Arms models work flawlessly.

The AR-7 is a fun gun to carry, being so short and light, it's like walking with a pistol in your hand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Outdoor, maybe I've just had bad ones. I've bought a total of 5 of them, I think 3 were Charter's and I know one was Armalite, but I don't know if I had any Henry's or not and I know I haven't had any of the new ones. I gave up on 'em... [:(!] I want them to work!
    I think my next "survival" rifle will be a Marlin Papoose in stainless/synthetic or a kit for my 10/22 where the barrel folds down.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reliazed what my extraction problem was when I cleaned it up after I shot it again today. There is a burr at the top of my chamber where the gun had been dry fired. I'll have to get a iron from brownell's and get it out. Probably people looking at it, at the gun store. They usually have zip ties so you can't dry fire them, but sometimes they take them off.