In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plastic slide?

ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
Okay, maybe I'm being * here, but I'm starting to get real tired of holster wear. Would it be possible to make a pistol with a plastic slide? I know it couldn't be all plastic, but would it be possible to make a slide akin to the Benelli Nova? You know, plastic exterior with a metal interior to absorb the shock?

I'm not looking for anything to sneak through airports... I just want a gun whose finish won't rub off and polymer is pretty good at not rubbing off.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Comments

• Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Get Stainless. [8D]

Explosion.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have your gun refinished with that matte black finish, I can't think of what it is called (teflon maybe) but the stuff seems to last through nearly anything.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Buy a Glock. Had to carry mine for a few years before the "new gun smell" went away. That tenifer finish is impervious to everything.[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On a side note, I'm surprised Jennings hasn't figured out a way to make an all-plastic jam-o-matic[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    A plastic coating is also going to wear to some degree. In order for it to be thick enough not to wear through to the metal the slide dimensions would become excessive.

I wish you could get Glock's Tenifer finish applied on the open market. It's the best rust and wear resistant finish I've ever seen on a firearm, but to my knowledge is only available on Glock handguns. The black you see on their pistols isn't actually the Tenifer. It's dark gray, but colored finishes can be applied or it can be polished bright.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Amen Txs, I'd love to get that finish on a couple of my rifles, it'd be nice to not have to worry about rust when hunting for mowers[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Robbie Barkmann makes a finish called, I believe, ROBAR, that will give you what you want.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stainless steel, works for me.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    There's a finish that impregnates the metal with a lubricant/rust inhibitor. It looks grayish and may be what the other posts are refering to. A friend that worked for Garret did a shotgun for me in 82 and I've never had to touch it since. Doesn't wear off but does change shades. If interested, I can get technical name. [8D]

Explosion.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amorkote... when its gone, just spray some more on...