In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fix my riding mower,,,,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
Its a craftsman 19hp twin turbo. Beginning of season it started idling high/low,fast/slow. I changed the plugs and fuel filter and its been great,until this week end. Idling real rough and popping. New fuel filter media looks mushy,and I remember that I did not add the fuel enzyme additive to the last tank of gas. Does that enzyme stuff really make that big of difference,or should I be looking for something else too??

Comments

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like bad fuel.Drain the tank,new fuel filter,run non ethanol with fuel stabilizer.Always use fuel stabilizer in small engines.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like bad fuel.Drain the tank,new fuel filter,run non ethanol with fuel stabilizer.Always use fuel stabilizer in small engines.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possible intermitten float sticking in carb. Sometimes tap on carb bowl with screwdriver etc and it will release. Getting extra fuel in carb. throat? I always install a fuel cutoff in gas line if I might have a sticking float problem.
    edited November -1
    Wondered if you folks know, double posting comes from erasing back immediately after making a post.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Just fueled up the mower,was dang near empty. Put in fuel enzyme & fired her up. Ran/idle perfectly. Able to throttle up/down without hestitation or cut out.
    buddyb nailed this one. Still should drain/flush the tank and going to replace the filter again. There's gotta be a build up of crap on the tank bottom.

Thanks for the help.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4205raymond
    Wondered if you folks know, double posting comes from erasing back immediately after making a post.

I have to try it!

Nope, one post.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only run non-ethanol gas treated with Stabil in my small engines.
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Wondered if you folks know, double posting comes from erasing back immediately after making a post.

I have also gotten double posts after going back to the thread before someone else makes a comment. Until someone fixes the system there will continue to be double posts as people forget the hurtle needed to keep it from happening.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mnrivrat48
    quote:Wondered if you folks know, double posting comes from erasing back immediately after making a post.

I have also gotten double posts after going back to the thread before someone else makes a comment. Until someone fixes the system there will continue to be double posts as people forget the hurtle needed to keep it from happening.
    Yep, same here. This is true.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I have been running ethanol free, marine gasoline in my small engines. They run like a top, always start right up, and never have carb issues.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two older Murrays with B and S twin cylinder 18 hp engines. I have put carb kits, plugs, etc and tried everything and it is hard to keep them running right. They are both hard to start. I think it is the carb that is the problem as they get old the needle seat gets worn bad, but they want to much for a new one.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    I have two older Murrays with B and S twin cylinder 18 hp engines. I have put carb kits, plugs, etc and tried everything and it is hard to keep them running right. They are both hard to start. I think it is the carb that is the problem as they get old the needle seat gets worn bad, but they want to much for a new one.

Do they have walbro carbs? Walbro sells carb kits with new needle seats, or there are Chinese carbs on eBay/Amazon for around $15.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent

Do they have walbro carbs? Walbro sells carb kits with new needle seats, or there are Chinese carbs on eBay/Amazon for around $15.
    I would have to get the model off my motor, but If I remember correctly they were upwards of $200 and no aftermarket replacements. I would give $100 to try one, but couldn't find any new for that. I put a carb kit in, but didn't help. They didn't include the carb seat as I have put them in others before and are a pita and not very good luck putting them in. They act like they flood easy trying to start as that is what makes me think new carb as a new needle doesn't help. Matter of fact I have three of the motors on lawn motors and the more hours they get on them the worse they get. I am pretty good at working on junk and have tried everything short of a new carb with no luck as that I am 91.9% almost sure that is the problem.