Gonna get my life back...........temporarily.

The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Yahoo! Starting 1-1-02, I start back on dayshifts. Not that I love the dayshifts, but now that I'm off the mids, I'm ready for them.The last 5 years or so, the mids have really been kicking this 47 yr. old butt. When I'm on mids, it feels like I have the Flu all the time. I lose all ambition, my weight-lifting takes a nose dive, I eat at weird hours of the day, I'm not worth a dang in bed, and I never sleep more than 5 hrs. at any one time.Bad thing is, I'm looking at about 10 more years of this, maybe a little less, depending on special circumstances.Maybe that drive-up window job at DQ doesn't look quite soooo bad after all!Anyone have any magic remedies?
Stay safe!!The "ONLY" bad thing about owning "A GUN" is....not owning two or more!

Comments

• TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dano,No magic recipies or remedies. It's not easy working different shifts at all. At least on days you can get your life in semi order for awhile anyway.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked third shift for 23 years. Still can stay up all night anytime, and still have trouble sleeping when it's dark! Good luck, Dano, if days is your thing, you should adjust fast. Keep gettin' them bad guys. Is day shift less stressful job-wise? Just curious, I figure you'd run into more trouble PM, specially weekends.....
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could have a field day with your post!But I'll be good and wish you a SAFE and happy NEW YEAR!
  • The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
    edited November -1
    It's okay SXSMAN, you do what you got to do. I'm secure enough in myself to stand some ribbing. Besides, I knew you were lurking, and I was testing ya!
    Stay safe!!The "ONLY" bad thing about owning "A GUN" is....not owning two or more!
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dano I have seen you refer to mids several times in your post. May I show my ignorance and ask what that means. Auto
    KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
    edited November -1
    Mids refer to the dreaded "midnight shift". It's the shift when all the creatures of the night, come out to play.Sometimes, I feel more like a zoo keeper than a cop!Anyone seen my whip and chair?
    Stay safe!!The "ONLY" bad thing about owning "A GUN" is....not owning two or more![This message has been edited by dano (edited 12-31-2001).]
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have my sympathies, sir. My old man did 38 years of rotating shifts in a steel mill and to this day I don't know how he made it. I did four years of it when I was very young and it damned near killed me. Some of the guys I worked with back then were steady "hoot owl" and claimed it was better than switching times every week. Frankly, I never bought it. I figured that the weeks of 8-4 and 4-12 between the night shifts were treats.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have worked 13 years of mids (12-8) so far and like it compared to the other shifts. It does have its draw backs though as Dano said about 5 hours sleep a day and feel crappy a lot. When I use to work days I felt this way also just a different feeling. Also nobody wants my shift so it is good job security. I work most of the time solo with up to 20 Juvenile deliquent in charge of. Just noticed in the paper a few minutes ago one we sent home a couple of months ago turned himself in for murder he committed on Christmas Day. (I guess he didn't learn his lesson)
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So does this change in schedule mean that the "Dano too" will go away?And is the loss of a fragmented personality a good or bad thing?
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have (worked)? rotating shifts for 42 years and know all about the moods and quirks your body and mind can do. I have got to the point that I dislike working the day shift because there are to many knowledgeable people in the way. After Jan. 6I am going on 12-8 for however long I have left to work. I'm looking forward to having a steady shift by myself. ALSO............. The level of my insanity never fails to amaze me!
    " Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 14,524
    edited November -1
    My previous work had me working 24 hours on and 24 hours off for three weeks at a time. Then it went to days for a few weeks and then it was back to 24 on and 24 off. I know where you are coming from dano.
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    We switch from days to nights every tank job, so about every month and a half. Unless there is a turn-around or major structural job going on,in the refinery, then it seems I always get the night shift on those. Like you said the physical aspects suck, but the upside is less bigwigs running around making life misserable. We tend to get more work done and a little better breaks...
    edited November -1
    I knew that when I got into LE, shift work was part of the deal. Been doing the shift work now for almost 24+ years. We used to rotate every 7 days. Then, we went to a month rotation. 30 on days, 30 on swing, 30 on mids.I do agree with you who said that they like to avoid the day shifts, cause of the supervisors getting in the way. I agree. As much as the mids kick my butt, I do like them for the peace and quiet that they do provide from time to time.The best part I like is the fact that me and dano too, are our own boss. No one breathing down our backs.I guess it's true! In for a dime, in for a dollar! Hope the next 10 yrs. or so, FLY BY!!!!!
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano and Dano too don't wish your life away. Let the next 10 years go by slowly.