In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gas fireplace draft

mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
my fireplace is a direct vent and has a draft when i'm not using it. Wondering if that is normal or if they make a cover for the front part of my fireplace........Any and all help is appreciated

Comments

• 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a down draft all the time, check and make sure all the windows in the

house are closed. If not they will pull the air down the vent. If

the windows and doors are ok, you can get some doors for it pretty

easily. Hope it helped
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    If you have a lot of wind in your area, and especially if your cap is on the windy side of the house, you might swap to a "high wind" type cap. You didn't mention whether yours is a vertical or horizontal termination, but this suggestion applies to both.

I assume the draft is not enough to interfere with the pilot. 7RiverMan7's advice is generally good for fireplaces and stoves, but in the case of a direct-vent appliance will not apply since combustion is sealed off from the living areas (which is why they are approved for bedrooms). So the "draft" is exchange from the air suppy pipe (the "outer" tube in the coaxial pipe) and the exhaust vent (the "inner" pipe).

Used to be in the business, although that doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about. You might get online with the manufacturer, and see what their trouble-shooters say.
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I would be concerned with this . especially when in use, Im not an expert but it sounds like a carbon monoxide trap waiting to happen blowing back in to living quarters. By the way what I read about carbon monoxide detectors is they should be mounted up higher and not next to a appliance. the monoxide is slightly lighter than air and will rise with the warm air.

After reading river rat makes me wonder if those pipes are closed off like that why there would be any kind of draft coming in at all is it not enclosed? is it an insert?
  • mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    vent is horizontal....checking the manufacturer is a good idea....perhaps a high wind one is available,..house is very tight..I usually only run it when the power goes out or setting a mood[:D]...Thanks for your ideas...any other thoughts are welcome.