In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lights/ light laser combo

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
On your home defense handgun.

Vital piece of kit or a gimmick that gets in the way?

I'm not talking the ctc grips that are instinctual. But the streamlight ones that mount up front and with the lever you have to press or hold. Can you minipulate the light easy enough?

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have one on a XDM 45 a 870 12 ga and a colt AR ,which has the light and laser combo
    I have not used them for fending off corn monkeys but play with them in the yard at night . I think they would come in handy , pressure switch on the 870 and ar the pistol just a basic off on but easy to get to ,
    my only thoughts are with a light on constant the indented target also has a target to aim at ( the light ) so the pressure switch off /on would seem to be the best JMHO I am just a redneck peckerwood who likes guns .
    I am sure a lot of the LEO and military GB's have a lot better experience in real life or death stories
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like everything else you can argue it till the cows come home. I have a Surefire unit on the Glock model 20 here by the bed. It's a very bright light that will identify and blind a target. Both good things. Don't have a laser on this one but lasers certainly have their place. Anything you can do in advance to aid you when someone is trying to kill you is a good thing.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Glock light on my Glock 21, as well as my wife's S&W SD9. I love that you can just push the switch by simply raising your finger, which should be on the trigger guard. Plus it runs off the same batteries as my Surefire.

Jon
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    I have a Glock light on my Glock 21, as well as my wife's S&W SD9. I love that you can just push the switch by simply raising your finger, which should be on the trigger guard. Plus it runs off the same batteries as my Surefire.

Jon

Streamlight has a light laser combo. I'm wondering if you can have the laser stay on when / if you need to take your finger off the light and on the trigger.

http://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-tlr-2-hl-g-720-lumen-weapon-light-with-green-laser/p/kt-stl69265/
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. They have a momentary as well as constant on. The rocker switch is either pushed slightly or all the way until it clicks. The light and laser can also both be on or individually. My favorite is the TLR-2HL.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A weapon light is quite important on a defense gun. We carry TLR-1s' on our Glock 21s. No laser, but if we had the money I'd add a light with laser, would make target acquisition that much faster.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I have a Viridian Green LASER/Bright Light Combo unit that mounts on any Rail on Whatever - I like it.

LASER can be Flashing or Steady, by itself, or in Combination with Light that can also be Flashing or Steady. Not all combinations are available. I like the LASER Flashing, with Steady light available.

Sure is Handy on Varmint Defense Pistol. Light and Small.

I have more in it than the Pistol it is Mounted on! Still well worth it, IMNSHO.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a light on my home defense guns a G30 and a Rem 1100. I like the light but you need to shoot the gun with the light on it to make sure it will hold up.

I don't care for a laser. I did not learn to shoot with one and find them distracting.
    RLTW

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Light. Keeps your other hand free to support the gun hand. Where it looks, the gun looks. Mine can be on when held, or on.
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I have.

1stormpx4003.jpg
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't like the idea of a flashlight on a gun, or a laser on a gun.

There's the old rule, "don't point a gun at anything you don't want to kill".

If you are using a gun as a flashlight, there's a whole lot that can go wrong.

I think that the idea of a laser on a handgun is silly. If you are so far away that you need to have a laser to help you aim, you shouldn't be using a handgun, period.

The last time I was at a range, there was a guy there with a laser on his pistol. The little red dot was dancing around the target; it would have been interesting if it could have left a mark on the target; it would have looked like a crazy etch-a-sketch or a broken spirograph (I know, showing a bit of age here).

If I wanted to accessorize a pistol, I'd focus on the sights themselves.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen

If you are using a gun as a flashlight,

LOL...you don't use the gun as a flashlight, however using a gun in the dark especially if you are searching for someone that may want to harm you having a weapon light frees your other hand.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got a light laser combo fixed on a 22 semi auto for zapping armadillos in the yard...laser on and hit the light and let er rip before the little buggers rocket away..
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I think that the idea of a laser on a handgun is silly. If you are so far away that you need to have a laser to help you aim, you shouldn't be using a handgun, period.

The last time I was at a range, there was a guy there with a laser on his pistol. The little red dot was dancing around the target; it would have been interesting if it could have left a mark on the target; it would have looked like a crazy etch-a-sketch or a broken spirograph (I know, showing a bit of age here).

So it has nothing to do with distance it has to do with having 65 year old eyes that can't focus a rear sight, a front sight and a target all at the same time. Same reason why almost all of my rifles have red dots on them. When your eyesight goes to crap you'll change your mind, but hey that's your opinion.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a pistol trigger guard mount laser laying around not being used so I put it on my AR-15. Works good. It doesn't take a lot of thinking to press the button with my thumb when shooting.

DSCN1335_zps65ftgqev.jpg

DSCN1343_zpsgfnmvjlx.jpg
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I think that the idea of a laser on a handgun is silly.

Well I think your stupid for saying that cause if you had ever used one you'd know you can shoot from your waist or in any position with one and shoot very accurate with it. Has nothing to do with distance.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Beautiful summary of old thinking. Them days are gone. Newer technology is better, as are newer practices.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a light on one, a laser in another, and am looking to put a light/laser combo on another. I enjoy practicing with them. I still have to "think" about turning them on, it has not become instinctual yet.

Remember one thing about both of these toys.
    They are battery powered, and when is a battery going to fail on you........