In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading vs Bought

greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
I've lately been shooting sporting clays. Average about 3 times a month and one of the guys in our party is a gun dealer who has offered to sell us clay rounds at cost just for us and only what we need to shoot on sundays at the range (which I think is a very kind offer).

I have a problem with that. Personally, I'm cheap. If I can save $.25 or $.50 a box and enjoy the time I spend reloading, why would I do manufactured ammo. Then again, if it were cheaper to buy manufactured ammo would I want to give up on rolling my own, something I do enjoy,....

What would you guys do? Let's here.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.

Comments

• Options
    ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually, i enjoy reloading centerfire only. i also shoot clays at the range however i usually buy a few boxes of trap loads and give away the empties when i'm done. granted, its more expensive but i only get to the range about once per month unless a special event is going on.
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong...I typically reload everything I shoot...rifle,pistol & shotgun. This question is only about Clays and in this situation, not about game with a shotgun.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to reload shotgun, but I gave up after a while. Factory shotgun shells are cheap enough and I never could get the same quality, loading them myself.

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Ohioghog on this one, I only load centerfire now. About 20 years ago I used to shoot trap from April to October and loaded 2-3 hundred rounds a week. After I got out of trap shooting, I stopped loading shotshells. I realized your delimma for the first time when I purchased a .223 recently, clearly you can buy loaded ammo for less than the cost of handloaded. This is not a apples to apples comparison though because the store bought .223 ammo in the low price range isn't premium like my handloads are[^]
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I've been reloading for about 5 years now and I fiqure it has saved me a bundle. I do less shooting now and have hundreds of rounds for each rifle and shotgun I have. All of these are pet loads. 600 rounds of 22-250 will last me the rest of my time (example). That's why I'm going to sell all my equipment and quit.
    I have much better luck with the formulas given to me from some seasoned 12 ga. shooters- this you just can't buy at wallymart. It's worth it.
    Don't have the places to hunt like I used to.
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reloading 12 gauge just isn't worth it. Reloading .410 is definitely worth it. 20 and 28 gauge are worth reloading too.
    If you don't care about accuracy, reloading 9mm is barely worth it, if you can buy surplus stuff in bulk. In my experience, reloading just about anything else (.45, .38 super, etc.) has almost always been worth it.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go buy yourself a rifle in an oddball caliber and see how fast equipment pays for itself. 32-40's for my rifle go for $40.00 a box usually. I can load my own for around four. Less if I cast my own bullets and don't count my time.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago when I was shooting shotgun a LOT. I could buy factory darn near as cheap as rolling my own. With all the cost of getting new equipment, it was not worth it at the time.

The gene pool needs chlorine.