In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK to carry guns on campus in SD!!!!!!!

Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
edited February 2008 in General Discussion
[:)]

S.D. House Panel Passes Campus Gun Bill

PIERRE (AP) - A South Dakota House committee has passed a bill guaranteeing people the right to carry or possess guns on college campuses.

The bill's main sponsor, Rep. Tom Brunner of Nisland, said nearly all mass shootings in recent history occurred in placed where guns are banned. He said criminals have the advantage in gun-free zones because no one else is armed.

The State Affairs Committee voted unanimously to pass HB1261, which would prevent universities and technical schools from restricting the right to carry guns on campus.

The committee then voted unanimously to kill a much different measure that would have made it a crime to have a gun on campus.

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice!

It'd be nice if we could get the same thing in Kentucky

So far its just Utah and South Dakota, right?
  • Options
    ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Where does it go from there? Will it have to pass a House vote, Senate vote, and then get signed by the Gov'ner?
  • Options
    Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
    edited November -1
    somebody gets it holy cow[^]
  • Options
    kiwibird1kiwibird1 Member Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YAY for South Dakota[:D]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I've always thought it would be a nice place to live.....[:)]
  • Options
    BlackgunsBlackguns Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish Nevada schools would get off their a$$es and get this done. We have had a whole string of sexual assaults, including an abduction.when will people wake up and understand that they have the right to defend themselves?
  • Options
    TavisTavis Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish they had this in PA too, if I want to have a gun on campus here I have to keep in the in campus police building, under lock and key. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a handgun on campus.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope it catches on around the country.
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    need to pass that in everystate that allows carry, better to have dont think you can here in indiana, but, better to be alive to explain why you did, then to have your family mourning the fact that you didnt
  • Options
    leftytwogunsleftytwoguns Member Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    Oh Hell yeah....a bunch of college students packing heat.

That's gonna solve the problem......[V]

You're a funny guy.

Good for S. Dakota, and its many, many citizens.
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1

lest we forget, the many college student who has served their country, and solved problems by packing heat.
    thats like saying, oh yeah a bunch of hillbillies packing heat thats gonna solve the problem, or bunch yuppies packing heat thats gonna solve the problem.
    the fact exists that if you dont know who is carrying and who is not, your less likely to consider an act of violence against that populace.
    I am a college student, and I pack heat every day. I feel confident that i and other students that i attend with, can exercise some common sense in the carrying of sidearms.

hell, if every one was alowed to carry an assault rifle these problems would be non existant.
  • Options
    westkybandedwestkybanded Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kentucky has a similar bill that is stuck in committee right now, and has almost no hope of ever coming to vote. Sad really.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Or those of us that work at a college. I could get a CCP really easy here in Fl, but since I work at a college, I don't bother. Can't carry to work, can't leave it in the car, and I'm a home-body, so its home to work to grocery store to home usually...

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's great.
    That is the land of my ancestors, I have got to move up there.
    I can buy the old homestead, the house is now gone but the well is still there.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

This coming from the guy who was ready to throw down over a T-Shirt....

How ironic
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,353 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Very good news indeed. Now, if such a sensible idea spreads, we all will benefit.

What is amazing is how the playing field just got leveled in S.D. , Meaning that the crazies, the violent criminals who give themselves the "right" to carry a gun anytime, anywhere, for any reason, just got trumped because the intended victims of those criminals now have the same right the criminals do. The right to carry a firearm.

I guarantee you there will be few, if any, college shootings in S.D. from now on.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1

Yep. Give citizens the right to carry a gun and we all know they will just go crazy and start shooting up anything and everything. Unless you have been anointed into the police priesthood, better to leave the guns in the hands of the police. And, oh yeah, the criminals. They already have the "right" to carry guns.