In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GE Service Protection Program for washing machine?

SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
So, my year warranty is almost up.

Got an offer from a GE affiliate for four more years of coverage, for $125 total.
I can pay the same for the dryer, too, but they don't go south too often.

So, do you think it is worth$31/year for the washer bumper-to-bumper coverage?

Comments

• Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends. Do you think you will spend more than $125 fixing the washer in the next four years? I've had the same washer/dryer for a little over twenty years. I think I changed the hoses once because the movers lost them.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Scam...just putting your hard earned funds in GE's pocket. GE Insurance is the #1 money maker for them....
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    know this sounds dumb but do u plan on selling your house in the next year or two because if yea sell the washing an dryer with it and don't worry about it

no more no more no more no more
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with GE, and every company who makes anything tries to sell you an extended warranty. 99% of the time they're worthless simply because the appliances are dependable. The odds that you'll need service in the next four years are slim to none. It's like insurance on anything. You probably don't need it, you aren't required to have it, so let it pass. Of course there is that one little chance in a million that something will go wrong. There's your trade off. Personally I don't buy them, but there's the fact that I know how to fix my own..Might make a difference.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Scam...just putting your hard earned funds in GE's pocket. GE Insurance is the #1 money maker for them....

From my experience and from what I've heard experts say, most extended warranties are rip-offs. That's how some of these companies boost their profits.

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huge source of profit for the seller of the policy.

Bad deal for the consumer, all the time every time.

Put the 125 bucks in the bank as a down pn the next washer. They tend to last about 10 to 12 years.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I've always heard......

The last two letters in 'GARBAGE' are GE.

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quikdraw67
    GE is JUNK!!!

You will reap your $125

Just make sure the coverage is worth it

(PS Maytag isn't much better)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

My GE washer is 17 years old.[8D] [^]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns