In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gas prices may hit.............

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
......$4.00 a gallon. For those of you who are already paying this amount, I would hate to speculate what you will be paying for gas!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. retail gasoline prices will probably vault well over $3.00 per gallon in most parts of the country as early as this weekend after Hurricane Katrina devastated the energy industry in the Gulf Coast, analysts said Wednesday.

The spike will be bad news for drivers already paying nominally the highest pump prices on record, and has led some analysts to predict a looming economic backlash.

"This in many ways is the worst-case scenario that the oil industry has been fearing," said Geoff Sundstrom, spokesman for the AAA motorist group.

"On a national average, we could hit $3.25 at the pump easily, potentially even by this weekend," said Jason Schenker, economist at Wachovia Corp. "This is going to cut into consumer demand."

Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast on Monday, shutting nearly all of the Gulf of Mexico's oil production -- about a quarter of the nation's oil output -- and closing down nine refineries and several pipelines along the coast, according to government figures.

The virtual shutdown of the energy industry in the region has pushed wholesale gasoline prices roughly a dollar higher this week to over $3 a gallon on concerns that fuel supplies could run short.

The Gulf of Mexico is home to the majority of the nation's refineries and pipelines, meaning problems there will be felt across the country.

The spike has already put many U.S. gasoline retailers in the red by forcing them to buy at sharply higher rates, and the impact will shortly hit consumers.

"We're in hyperdrive," said Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the National Association of Convenience Stores, which accounts for about three-quarters of the U.S. gasoline sold. "These wholesale increases are going to be felt almost immediately."

He added, "Right now we're losing money on every sale as we slowly pass on these increases, and in the meantime we're being called all kinds of names."

Gasoline futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange spiked above $2.90 a gallon on Wednesday, up a dollar from last Friday's settlement. Cash prices in the Gulf Coast and Midwest have shot up even further.

"My rule of thumb is that the national average pump price will typically be 65 cents higher than the NYMEX price," said Mark Routt of Boston-based Energy Security Analysis Inc. "Most of that will get passed to consumers within three weeks."

The price rise could bring the cost of gasoline above the inflation-adjusted peaks in the early 1980s.

The AAA motor club on Wednesday showed the national average for regular gasoline at $2.62 a gallon, a nominal record. This compares with an average of $1.86 a year ago.
08/31/05 15:37

Delta.gif

tn_people112.gif

Comments

• Options
    egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    springfield, IL is going up to 4+ tomorrow. Yippy!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    So? Do something about it. Refuse to buy. Write your congressmen, tell them to say to hell with the whackos and allow refineries to be built, and new drilling in anwar, etc.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know the price here, haven't been out the last couple of
    days. Just saw an article in the Tuscaloosa News that some
    stations have no gas, and distributors say they are out also.
    Both my vehicles have full tanks, with a few gallons spare.
    Last I noticed was 2.45 Sunday, 2.59 a mile and a half up the road
    at the I-State.

Lifetime shooter - please speak louder.
    -
    "Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Chavez is getting back at the US for being against him.

He said he has refineries and the worlds biggest oil reserve and is more than happy to help America during it's troubled times.

Oh he said don't worry about the price. Getting people back to normal lives is more important.

Releasing oil from our strategic reserves is worthless. We ain't got enough refineries to keep our need supplied.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    This is ridiculous. And I'm betting there are still soem people claiming the war is all about oil! If it were about oil shouldn't the price be going down?[:(!]

00023904.jpg
    "Gunner sabot tank! Identify! UP! Fire! ON THE WAY!!" <<boom>>

"It's all about shot placement..."
    awcountdown_sm.gif
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    pat we could take over Iraq and it wouldn't help us.

We ain't got refineries. we have enough oil stock piled in the strategic reserves to run this country for 1 year. More oil drilling is not needed.

On CNN I saw gas somewhere's in the US for $6.19 a gallon, didn't catch where.

General Motors was near bankruptcy and had to use the 'employee discount' sales program to try and boost sales. They will now have to either file chapter 11 and ditch employee retirements or sell the whole kit and kaboodle to Toyota that wants to buy it.

bye bye General Motors. serves them right for creating fuel hogs along with Dodge and Ford that no one will now buy.

hope nobody here has their stocks. it'll be worthless in 30 days.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember answering the census questions?

$4.00 per gallon was the average that Americans would be willing to pay for gas. Well we got what we asked for.

geronimo2.bmp
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.