In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

19 firefighters killed today in Az fire

hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
According to KPHO News in Phoenix, http://www.kpho.com/category/208616/news, 19 firefighters lost their lives in a forest fire near Yarnell, Az.
That totally sucks.

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    [V][V][V][V][V][:(]
    I HATE to read these...
    RIP GENTLEMAN...[V]
  • Options
    hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Terrible news.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is terrible [V]

That is 5 more than were lost on Storm King Mountain fire in 94 in Colorado

Pray for the rest on the line.

Mule
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That has to be one of the biggest firefighter tragedies ever. This is tragic. One death is tragic, this is beyond description.
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the area where the fire is very well. I go quail hunting up there every year. People in those two towns couldn't be nicer if they tried.

My prayers go out to all involved.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    awful news [V] may they all RIP and best wishes to all the families . putting there life's on the line to serve there fellow men and women a loss of true hero's.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DITCH-RUNNER
    awful news [V] may they all RIP and best wishes to all the families . putting there life's on the line to serve there fellow men and women a loss of true hero's.

Heroes of the first order.....[V]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    edited November -1
    Very sad. May all RIP. [:(][:(]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers said for their families and fellow firefighters!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    God Bless them and their families, beyond tragic.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy crap![:0] 19 Hot Shots? Please excuse my arrogance but having worked in that field. Somebody FUBARED beyond all recognition. These guys know fire ground tactics and drill every day. (In my day they use to.)

My heart goes out to the family's of the lost. Something just ain't right with this story...
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from ABC news:

The "hotshot" firefighters were forced to deploy their fire shelters when they were caught near the central Arizona town of Yarnell, state forestry spokesman Art Morrison told The Associated Press.

He added that the firefighters had to deploy the emergency shelters when "something drastic" occurred.

Can someone explain the emergency shelters?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awful news. Prayers for the families and friends of the deceased.
    What's next?
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    emergency shelters are little one man tubes made of several layers of thin space blanket like insulating layers to get inside if a fire rolls over you. problem is no oxygen, and they only work for faster moving fire. Firefighters call them 'shake and bake'
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Holy crap![:0] 19 Hot Shots? Please excuse my arrogance but having worked in that field. Somebody FUBARED beyond all recognition. These guys know fire ground tactics and drill every day. (In my day they use to.)

My heart goes out to the family's of the lost. Something just ain't right with this story...

That was my first thought, someone screwed up at a tactical/communication level. RIP
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very sad...[V] God be with their families.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    [V]horrible...i just don`t know what else to say [V]
  • Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just had it on the morning news how awful. RIP
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF

I wonder also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DAVID KADLUBOWSKI/AP

The fire had burned up to 2,000 acres by Sunday night, prompting widespread evacuations and the closure of 25 miles of state Route 89, a major thoroughfare through central Arizona.

pic1_zps83a92674.jpg
    At least 19 firefighters - all members of the same elite crew - were killed Sunday battling a wind-whipped Arizona blaze that has torched 250 homes.

The 19 dead firefighters were members of the Prescott Granite Mountain Hotshots, a specialized team trained to combat extreme wildland blazes.

The calamity is believed to be the worst wildfire tragedy in history, surpassing the deaths of 14 smoke eaters in the Storm King fire near Glenwood, Colo., in 1994.

The firefighters were battling the blaze on Yarnell Hill, 35 miles southwest of Prescott, when they became trapped by a wall of flames 15 to 20 feet high, officials said.

"Something drastic happened," Prescott Fire Chief Dan Fraijo said Sunday night.

"The entire hotshot crew has been killed by the fire," Fraijo said.

firefighters-killed_zps4c8d010a.jpg

Granite Mountain Hotshots practice with their emergency shelters outside Prescott Arizona, April 2012

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/yeah-article-1.1386796#ixzz2XnVgunMC
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.cityofprescott.net/services/fire/hotshots/

Granite Mountain Hotshots

The Prescott Fire Department is proud to host the Granite Mountain Interagency Hotshot Crew. From our beginning as a fuels mitigation crew in 2002, through the formation of Crew 7 (Type 2 I/A) in 2004, and our transition into the elite Hotshot community in 2008, our goal has been to provide our customers with "Excellence in Service" through our superior physical conditioning, our commitment to training, innovative problem solving, and our history of safe and aggressive fire suppression.

About the Crew
    Granite Mountain IHC consists of dedicated people of varying age and diverse backgrounds. Our common bond is our love of hard work and arduous adventure. We believe in rigorous physical and mental training, which allows us to perform at the optimum level in any location and under any circumstances.

We are routinely exposed to extreme environmental conditions, long work hours, long travel hours and the most demanding of fireline tasks. Comforts such as beds, showers and hot meals are not always common. Problem solving, teamwork, ability to make decisions in a stressful environment and being nice are the attributes of our crewmembers. We are grateful for our opportunities to excel and proud to represent the citizens of the City of Prescott and the Prescott Fire Department.

Granite Mountain Hotshots continues to provide defensible space on private parcels, as well as City owned open space. We also use prescribed fire to treat fuels on both City property and National Forest land.

Training
    Granite Mountain IHC is very proud of our tradition of providing both excellent classroom and field training to our crewmembers. In addition to our annual 80 hour critical training and refresher, we offer many NWCG courses throughout the season.

We almost always have at least one person working on a position taskbook on every assignment. As members of the Prescott Fire Department, we also have opportunities for additional training such as EMS and Technical Rescue. Granite Mountain provides a training cadre that is active both in house and at the Arizona Wildfire and Incident Management Academy.

Physical Fitness Program
    The nature of our work requires us to endure physical hardships beyond most people's experiences. Environmental extremes, long hours, bad food, and steep, rugged terrain, demand that we train early and often by running and hiking, doing core exercises, yoga, and weight training. We must pass the Arduous Work Capacity Test (Pack Test) as a condition of hire. Also, we have a fitness goal of a 1.5 mile run in 10 minutes 35 seconds, 40 sit-ups in 60 seconds, 25 pushups in 60 seconds, and 7 pull ups.

Employment
    Granite Mountain IHC strives to recruit members possessing traits such as teamwork, professionalism, integrity, honesty, care and respect, and reliability. We value problem solving skills and the ability to make safe decisions in stressful environments. Our members are required to be in excellent physical condition and must be able to pass the arduous Work Capacity Test as a condition of hire. Previous wildland experience is preferred but not a requirement.
  • Options
    UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    My prayers go out to the families.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dangerous business those men were in.
    Rest in Peace.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    How did all these brave men die at one time? Had to be some leadership screwup on a level that needs to be investigated. Don't understand how this could happen to these brave guys....someone let them down methinks. RIP and thanks for your service. Evidently one guy was in another spot and got out alive. Hopefully someone will "Perry Mason" this sad episode and find out what really happened.[:(]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad News...when I was heard about it, I thought it a misprint..[:(]
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is horrible news. A few weeks ago I had a bunch of smoke jumpers stop in the store, they were mostly very young, early 20's, but they talked about their work and really loved what they were doing for a living. Very, very sad that 19 young men had to perish.
  • Options
    lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Terrible News.I would have thought a change of wind direction would be the most likely thing to have caused this.Be in the wrong place when it happens and this is the result[V]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    How did all these brave men die at one time? Had to be some leadership screwup on a level that needs to be investigated. Don't understand how this could happen to these brave guys....someone let them down methinks. RIP and thanks for your service. Evidently one guy was in another spot and got out alive. Hopefully someone will "Perry Mason" this sad episode and find out what really happened.[:(]

He was moving a truck.

Very sad regardless of the circumstances.
    RIP my brothers.[V]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    This is very sad!
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    God please rest their souls and be with their loved ones. [V]
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May they all Rest In Peace

Prayers sent for all family and friends.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RIP my brothers. [V][V][V]
  • Options
    theranger1theranger1 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horrible tragedy. My prayers go out to families.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what exactly was the cause of this tragedy?? Nothing seems to be forth coming of the facts or circumstances?? A real mess that shouldn't have happened.