In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got your smoked joe ready for tonght?

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited January 2003 in General Discussion
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - For Southerners, New Year's hog jowl is as big a tradition as Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas ham.

Pronounced either "jaw-ul" or "joel," the New Year's Day food looks like a hunk of unsliced bacon, is traditionally served with black-eyed peas and is referred to as either "hog jowl," "smoked Joe," or just "Joe."

"It's the side of the pig's jaw," said James Dixon, market manager at Sawyer's Affiliated Food Store in Little Rock. "You gotta have it every year - if you don't have your beans and Joe (black-eyed peas and hog jowl) you won't have good luck."

Pine Bluff resident James Pierce said jowl is part of his and his wife's yearly celebration.

"We eat black-eyed peas and hog jowl every New Year's Day," Pierce said. "We've done it for about a hundred years, all our lives."

anim0447.gif
Ageless cosmic rocker!

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is green collards here in South Carolina. If you don't eat your"greens" luck won't be with ya.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny...just today I was talking with a lady who said she used to eat the cheeks from pigs. Had a name for it but I can't remember what she called it. She can not find them around here, so she was kind of disappointed.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife fixed black eyed peas and the other end of the pig (ham) tonight for supper. She has done this for several years and I guess our luck hasn't been to bad.

.................piggy.gif

Better than the pig's

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny how food and superstition came to be associated. At our house, if you didn't have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day you could not expect any "luck" at all during the year. Don't know that it's true as I've had P&S every year of my recollection.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the jowls of most animals are VERY tender.
    you havent lived till you've eaten halibut cheeks! Yep, the fish.
    Also the most expensive part.[:p]
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also slice jowl up and fry it like bacon. Delicious that way! Cheaper than bacon too! For our meal we always have black-eyed peas, hog jowl, cabbage (supposed to bring you more "folding money"), pork loin, and corn-bread. Good eats! Wish all you guys and gals were here to share it with us.

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot, either!