In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No wonder the airlines are going broke!

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
I checked prices to fly to Memphis from Harrisburg PA, $550 to $900 one way with 2 extra stops, Pittsburg, Atlanta then Memphis! Holy heck, I aint paying that much! greyhound hell is $116 from here to Memphis, too much money from being treated like cattle and subjected to the lowest lifeforms to ever haunt the rundown sections of town the stations are in, and then told you can't carry a gun! I'll walk to Memphis first!

magnum.gif

email.gif

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Did you check Amtrak?
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm...get the prices on a round-trip ticket. Most times they are cheaper than one way. I know...go figure.

bhayes-answ10.gif

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either!
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The airlines didn't start up the business to save you money. They save you TIME. You have to weigh the saving of time against the saving of money. The airlines aren't having a hard time now due to people not being able to pay the fares, the problem is that people are afraid to fly regardless of the cost.

Mudge the airline guy

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Yea, that's an idea too, I know that my girlfriend came retrieve me and help me drive home when I got stranded in another state and she purchased a round trip ticket for like $200 less than the one way even though she only flew one way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They may save time but to me it isnt worth that kind of cash, I can drive it in 15 hours for less than that, flight times are all around 10 hours. Bus is a day and a half for a hellish experiance and I can't ride the train (I owe them money). My dispatcher is going to get one of his guys to pick me up tomorrow and take me down, atleast then I can drive and get there quicker!

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Another problem is with the extra hoops at the airports now the short hops no longer save you any time. A 3-4 hr. (flight time)trip now takes nearly a full day one you ad the extra time you spend in an airport.
  • Options
    SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey 7mm, what part of Memphis are you heading to?

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out http://www.travelocity.com I got round trip to Ft. Lauderdale from Chicago for $241. I also dbl checked Price Line, by bidding $100 under the lowest travelocity quote. Have to be careful on price line, they want your credit card info upfront before bidding for you.

When are you leaving? I know most of these sites offer cheaper tickets if given a few weeks notice. Are you sure that is one way? I found $541 round trip for those locations at above link.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm heading back to work in Memphis, our yard is on rt78 about 1/2 mile before you get to the Mississippi line, it still has a Memphis address down there. It will be a one way trip, I'M GOING BACK TO WORK!!!!! I got my truck already picked out, just need to get down there, look it over get any work done it may need and sign the papers, grab a trailer and it is work time, been over a month, YEEHAW!

But I can forget about flying or even greyhell bus lines, my dispatcher gto one of his drivers that is delivering in Jersey in the morning to take me to Memphis as soon as he reloads. We are going to go down as a team so the ride will be short compared to a bus ride.

Redneck says, "I'm back!!" Time to tear up the highways once again! Also I need to get a load that will take me thru Tulsa for the weekend, I want to go to the gun show.

Mudge, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing the airlines, maybe the title to the thread is a bit rough, I was just crapping myslef when I seen the price of tickets, holy crap I say! That kind of money to me for a plane ride is crazy, for that kind of cash I expect to see dancing girls, free drinks, free steak dinner, luxury seats, (BTW that price was for coach!) and a massage! That plane ride would cost more than I pay for my old cars!! LOL.

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to do a lot of flying (not for an airline employee, but compared to the average dude) and I have felt for a long time that their business model needed an overhaul. Most things get cheaper over time with volume consumption. Air travel is too expensive, with too few seats, to benefit from mass useage. So they HAVE to concentrate on the time-saving benefit. Bullet trains would put them out of business, probably, (which may be why we still don't have any -- hmmmm) because it would take enough of their market share to be the straw that breaks the camel's already-broken back. They were mostly in trouble even before 9/11. They've declined to buy the "airbuses" with lots more seats because they can't afford it, and the Concorde with its fewer seats isn't economically viable either, because it's even MORE expensive.

All in all, I've never been very impressed with the mindset of top airline management. I have no ill will about it, but I do think they insist on barking up the wrong marketing tree. The number of bankruptcies should be a flashing red light, but so far the business model has remained essentially the same.

One of the first things they need to do is end the fare system that penalizes last-minute whim travel. Most of us don't plan most of our travel far ahead anymore, except for a few special annual trips or vacations. If you want to hop on the bus to go across town, you don't have to buy your ticket 2 weeks ahead.

Suppose you decide you want to attend the NRA annual meeting? Why should that be much more difficult in this day and age than getting across town? It doesn't take much longer by plane. But, you've got 2 problems -- unless you planned ahead, you can't get a cheap fare, and even if you want to plan far enough to get a cheaper fare -- it's not cheap enough for most of us. So we don't fly nearly as much as we could if the fares were REALLY cheap.

It is very significant that the initial reaction to this thread is -- hey, have you thought about Amtrak? Or Greyhound? My favorite airline, United, is contemplating bankruptcy now. Is there no way to run a safe, inexpensive airline in the 21st Century? Is air travel just for the middle & upper classes, forever? Is it only for specialty travel? Can't it be cost-effective for the average man to start making weekend jaunts to his favorite conventions?

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Hey 7mm - I live in Memphis. It just so happens that Memphis is almost a wholly owned Northwest Hub. To save money, most Memphians either travel to Nashville or Little Rock to get reasonable fares. You can get tickets out of either of these two cities one way on Southwest Airlines for only $99.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did I read that right....Flight times of 10 hours? I thought you were in PA. You must be in Hawaii.
    But from PA???
    Holy mackl Andy....next time don't take an ultra-light.

Mudge the dubious

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    7MM,what happened at your big meeting last week.You buying a truck? Or is this a company job? Big Daddy

my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mudge, that is total combined flights, not straight thru, the straight thru flights are close to 6 hours, but all the cheap ones go thru Atlanta, one goes to Boston, a couple go to Cjicago first, times cary but they was between 7 to dang near 10 hours all together! I checked the round trip flights, about $100 less, if I want to push departure ahead 5 days it goes down roughly another $100. But if I ride down in another truck with one of our drivers, I get to help drive, no hassling getting a taxi to get to and from airports, I have some comtrol over the stops and I can make it there on $20, one more thing, I won't need Dramamine! Did I spell that right?

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    7MM, when you get to Memphis, drop over to the Rendezvous and have a plate of ribs. Don't know if it still exists but it used to be the BEST ribs in the world!!!!

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, NRA ILA EVC, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    militarybest_1732_9663365
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck yeah the Rendezvous still exists! I was there a couple weeks ago and had a slab. Good stuff! But believe it or not, there is one BBQ joint that is even better. Called the "Cozy Corner." Can't remember the exact address, but just down the street from St. Jude. Right off Danny Thomas Blvd. What a hole in the wall place, but the food will make you slap your pappy. Owner BBQ's some awesome game hens!!! That and his BBQ'd bologna is absolutely wonderful. Yeah, I know that sounds odd, but it so GOOD! If you get to Memphis, gotta try it out!

bhayes-answ10.gif

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either!