In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Self check out kiosks

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
I hate them personally, any deviation from standard requires a human anyway. No override for discounts, Oos can't buy Alcohol, Price wrong nope wait for human intervention, etc.

I wish someone would sell them a management replacement kiosk instead.

The Kiosk gets rid of a couple minimum wage cashiers. I would prefer a Kiosk that got rid of a few 100K a year idiots that make stupid decisions![:D][:D]
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,529 ******
    edited November -1
    Avoid them like the plague! I will wait in a pretty long line where there is a HUMAN cashier.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i get a cart of dog food i go the a live checkout with all the barcode showing up....i say get your scanner and 2 of this and 3 of that...etc.....quicker and don't have to unload till i get to the pickup
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a store might save on clerk salaries they more than lose from people stealing them blind.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,368 ******
    edited November -1
    I find the self checkout preferable when I'm buying rope, pepper spray, a shovel, lye, and a tarp all at once.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our local Safeway got rid of their self checkout lanes because there was way too much product going out the door without being paid for.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them, fast
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here they have somebody watching over them, so I just use them and act stupid (which is hard for me to do) and ask the person that's watching over them to come help me [:D][8D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like them, i get to handle all my own groceries, no heavy item put on or in the bag with bread or eggs, all my cold items get put together, and chemical items dont get put in my food, and i get to double bag items that need it

i have not had one issue purchasing alcohol
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

I refuse to deal with the 'self check-out' things !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,865 ******
    edited November -1
    My wife's debit card numbers got stolen at a Walmart self service check out.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've learned to deal with them at Woodmans I can handle around 40 items or so. I don't do vegetables there as I haven't figure out how to type in the info. I buy all my vegetables from another store, where I don't have to * with them.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate them with a passion , just another step in taking away a job even a low pay in some cases but still a job better than paying welfare to the family.
    I have yet to use one that did not need the standby to come over and clear or reset or over ride a price or I get out of step with the weight table and bagging items
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,620 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Any place that has a self check-out should offer a 10% discount for you doing their job.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Any place that has a self check-out should offer a 10% discount for you doing their job.

Good and fast if you're buying a few items. Use Home Depot for small stuff. But only if the other lines are full.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont see how they are taking anyone's job, every place i have seen has an attendant for 4-5 checkouts, and people go so slow checking out through them it barely speeds up the progress
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't use them. When a manager tells me I should use the self checkout I tell them I'll run their cash register when they start paying me minimum wage.

Our local Walmart took them out. I must not be the only one who took that attitude.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    What a store might save on clerk salaries they more than lose from people stealing them blind.

Yep, not to mention the fact that alot of these corporate big boxes now have no procescution policies concerning shoplifters. Lowe's is an example.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of our local Walmarts put them in and soon after hurriedly took them out - solely because of theft, I was told. A year later, they put them back in again. I wonder if the new ones are more sophisticated about sensing what goes in the bag versus what went through the scanner.

Or if Walmart is just that dumb.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never use them .I also will wait in line for a human . Just another attempt to cut down on customer service ,much like grocery stores doing away with bagboys
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use them at WinCo They have long lines there and you have to bag your own anyway.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them and I use them as much as I can.
    RLTW

• Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Self-checkout is technology that does not necessarily show progress equals improvement.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally don't care for them. I will say that when my wife and I got grocery shopping together and use it, it's a hoot! The wife is trying to scan items so fast that she gets the dreaded "Please remove item from bagging area." Followed by "Please wait for the attendant." After a couple rounds of that, she asks me why I let her use the self-checkout. [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the self check out only if I have no items that doesn't have a store coupon or booze. Otherwise I might as well get in line because I'll have to wait for the human to do their job.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it for KY and tampons.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use them.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are fine. I use them rather than waiting in line because they are fast and convenient. If I want human interaction, I go to a checker. It's an option, folks, not mandatory.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I want to ring up my own styff, I'll become an cashier. Hate those things.
    Rob
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the regular lines are long. I use them. Act dumb and get some help cause the damn machines are problematic.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The typical bank of self service registers is 6.
    Minus the very busy attendant, I see 5 people who are losing their jobs to automation.
    I'm also old enough that I still see some value in human interaction while engaging in the benign tasks of everyday life.
    I don't hesitate to have a word with the manager if too few registers are attended by a carbon-based lifeform.
    Arrivederci gigi