In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How young do you start training your hunting dog

walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
edited January 2015 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if there is a "too young" approach, but I think the type of hunting may be important. Puppies tend to chew, so if it's a bird dog, I would start immediately with a life-size toy that resembles the prey they will be retrieving. If it's a deer dog, you would usually pair it with an older, wiser dog that would help "lead" the younger dog. The biggest obstacle is finding property to train the dog on. In some states, it may be illegal to even train deer dogs, (or bird dogs for that matter) in the off season. No matter the type of hunting dog, a seasoned dog is extremely helpful to show the youngster the ropes.
    Duck dogs....I have no clue.

Aaron
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of training a hunting dog.

A hunting dog will hunt on it's own. A non hunting dog is the one that needs to be trained to hunt.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I once trained a hunting dog when I was 5. NonDon
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 weeks but I don't train them so much as my other dog trains them.
    RLTW

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we raised Labs, The older ones would train the pups. Kinda like, monkey see, monkey do. I did spend a lot of time with my one lab, only after I sent her to a professional at about ten months old. She was the best retriever Donna and I ever had. I had one yellow that was a nightmare. She would go get a wood duck and have it defeathered and breasted before she got back to me[:(!][:(!][:(!] In other words, that was her duck and she was going to eat it. Ended up being the best house dog we ever had[V] Never shed a tear when she up and died. Just kidding, I loved her to death and she was a great companion.Oakie
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If by training,..you mean getting them obey commands, 13-16 weeks. A dog smelling or picking up a bird is natural,..but getting them to follow commands as far as

Sitting outside or inside the blind UNTIL told to do otherwise
    fetching a bird on the water
    bringing the bird back without getting interested in other dead birds
    retrieving a * before the dead birds
    following hand motions to get a direction of the bird
    knowing whistle commands
    etc etc etc

that starts at around 13-16 weeks. The higher skilled portions are started later, but the beginning training starts immediately. My last yellow lab was carrying doves for me at 16 weeks. That was about all she knew, and only after a good amount of "explaining" by me. She was however, not gunshy, as I fired over her head all afternoon.

"DOC" was sent for professional training for several months with a trainer. He is the FIL's dog currently. I think he was just shy of one year when he went to the professional trainer.
    20131128_170419_zps6a8bf86b.jpg