In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

first deer

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
my boy got his first deer Friday night right before dark

a spike

I think I was more excited than he was [^][:)][8D]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I went deer hunting for the first time in my life over the weekend and I managed to shoot a small doe, about 80 lbs. I shot her from a tree stand with a load of 00 buck out of a 12 gauge at a distance of about 15-20 yards. She didn't go far, maybe a few feet. I sat in the stand for a few minutes to unload my gun and lower it before I approached her, at which point she was still struggling so I put a .357 round into her head. I then walked out of the woods and flagged down one of my hunting buddies who called the house for a fourwheeler to haul her out.
    In short order she was hung up and I was given a crash course in skinning by a few of the more experienced hunters in the group.
    After she hung for a few hours we deboned her and put the meat on ice, and then yesterday I did the final cleaning, butchering, and wrapping.
    I had a wonderful time and I'll never forget it, nor will I forget the help & guidance of the experienced guys.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was with a buddy of mine and his 12 or 13 year old son yesterday and the boy got his first deer a young doe it was awesome to see him so excited and his dad too [^][:)][8D]

helped him put the hide on a board and clean the meat off and borax it so it will dry out and he can have the hide to put on a wall or just keep

the hide will dry out hard this way but I have my first deer hide from over 20years ago and the hair is still on it

[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So here's the story.

Never been deer hunting. Had a couple of invites, but just couldn't seem to make it work. Uncles, cousins, all hunters, but my dad had vision problems - and I think just didn't enjoy hunting. So we never went.

Brother in law got me to commit. And a 6 hour drive later, I'm 20 feet up a tree sitting on a chair with no arms or rail. I can see and hunt a field off my left shoulder,
    [img][/img]8F83D88A-9BCC-4FD3-B8E1-6E62727DEEC9_zps6avzyz3t.jpg
    but my right side (and the muchb larger field) is impossible to hunt. Watched some turkey, finches, three squirrels and a cat.

Overall, great way to spend the morning. Great weather. 60-70's. Skunked that morning. Break for lunch.

After lunch, I'm directed to a permanent ground blind. Sitting in a deck chair on a detached porch. Not as much to see. But a fine way to spend an afternoon alone with nature and my thoughts.

Sunset at 4:59 local time. And hunting ceases 30 minutes later. Not having seen any movement all afternoon, I'm trying to weigh the benefits of packing things in, or going the full 30 and having to track a deer in the dark.

So I decide to pack it in.

Unload my rifle, poke my trash in my bag pick up some extra trash that was there previously and take one last look over the woods.
    And a deer has appeared. Standing smack dab in the middle of my lane. Quartering toward me. About 3/4 of the way down the lane on the right.

[img][/img]6DA3EAAA-1974-4643-8837-022347DA2995_zpsmzpxa9h2.jpg

I wait, expecting to have a story to tell about how I scare it off by moving around.
    But no... It's standing like a concrete deer sculpture you see for sale off of rural highways. A full minute into watching this frozen deer, I decide "what the heck". And reload my rifle.

No wind to speak of. About 175 yds. I hold 5" high. And fire.

I watch as it walks slowly to my left into some low brush. And wait.

Two awesome hunting partners, an hour and a half and four flashlights later, we are at the processors. We picked up the blood trail right away. But clouds completely covered the full moon. He went about 100 yds into the woods off the lane.

[img][/img]ACACF0AA-C8F8-4A59-BF41-0DDC028815A4_zpsq61kudpx.jpg

Gutted, he weighed 105.
    I'm told reasonable size for the area.

Had a great time!!
    Looking forward to going again.

Feel free to tease me about my three point buck!
    I'm convinced we would have tracked it sooner, but I had everyone looking for a doe.
    [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My girlfriends son, 14, I took him hunting this year after spending a good while at the range, bagged his very FIRST deer (Doe).

Not a monster, almost 80lbs, after dressing, but still a good size, IMO.

He field dressed it, skinned it and packaged the hole thing. Darn proud of him.[:D]

Shot placement was "Perfect" (IMO). Deer dropped like a stone. She didn't know what hit her.

Will try to post picks in a few days.

Travrler.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for him... Congrats to you!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats to your son. And you too Dad !!!!!! [:)]
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    WTG... Congrats... [:)]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats it will be the one he remembers for life I still remember my first one like it was yesterday and that was 40 years ago
  • Options
    edited November -1
    both antlers were broke one side was around 3 inches long and the other one was only around a inch and half

I reckon he had been fighting he was a young healthy breeding buck
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Awesome Job Li'l Buddy
    Some Good Eatin' My 1st Also was a Spike [:D][^]
    Woody
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Memories to remember my friend, priceless[^]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,010 ******
    edited November -1
    WTG,Congrats to you both,,,[^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats! Good life-long memories. Glad you could share in his accomplishment...
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    He'll pick up your enthusiasm and carry it through life. Good job all around!
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good deal and the memories of a lifetime[:p]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats to him
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,661 ******
    edited November -1
    Good for him! He'll probably remember it the rest of his life.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job to him and you too. Boys first deer is a special time.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations to both of you! Job well done!
    Any pictures?
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright! Congrats to your son! Congrats to you as well dad! [8D]

Jon
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats to the boy. Job well done[;)][:)][:)][^][^][^] Oh, and congrats to the old man too[:D]
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sending congrats from SW Wisconsin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks everyone
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danielgage
    my boy got his first deer Friday night right before dark

a spike

I think I was more excited than he was [^][:)][8D]

I know what you mean. It is a great feeling.

Tell your son congratulations from me.