In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone ever driven a NASCAR?

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in General Discussion
I had the opportunity to run a retired Hendricks Motor Sports car around the Dover Monster Mile. To say the very least,..when strapped into the car on a 95 degree day in full clothes and a flame suit with gloves and helmet,..it can be ,..how shall we say,..invigorating[:0] But once they let me on the track,...MAN OHHHHHHHHH MAN!!!! The car was rev limited at ~8500rpm.[:(] It takes a good getting used to,..but once you get there,..you can flat out haul *. I know they rent out time in these cars at several locations around the country,..just wondered if anyone here has taken a ride in one[?] If not,..and you have the chance,..do it[:p][8D][8D][8D]

Told the wife I want to go to the Petty school next year for my birthday (fingers crossed). Imagine a whole week getting to play with them.[:p][:p][:p][}:)][}:)][}:)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
Got Balistics?

Comments

• Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Nope, but I've driven about every derivation of a dirt racer over the years. and my 9 year old has trophied 19 out of 22 times he's raced this year. I'll have him tell me about it someday.....[:D]

check out www.kattracing.com he's the one in the 1/4 midget with the wheels in the air.

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope sure have'nt
    But Man i'd be in heaven to run John Deere pulling tractor the ones that put a solid stream of black smoke straight in to the air and turbos screaming till hell wont have it no more and also to beable to light up a top fuel drag car or funny car[:D][:D]
    Doc
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    No, I like to make a right hand turn every once and a while.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I ran Bobby Allison's NASCAR race winning Olds at both Charlotte and Atlanta in 1989-1990. I think it was the Miller Hi-life car....It was at a driving school that used "last years" cars to teach the sport.

It was great fun.

I can't think of anything I would rather be doing.

Anything.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Not even driving NASCAR and shooting at targets as you go by while a gorgeous blonde rides shotgun? [:D]
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything ?

Other freedoms are IN COURT NOW and under attack. Click to read latest report.
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why is Dale's ride stuck in the deep end of the pool?

I've not driven a made-for-nascar stock car, but I've driven several other cars with equal or more HP at about the same speeds.. it's the only time that I don't mind my testicles being pushed up into my chest cavity.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I went to the Southern 500 at Darlington over Labor Day 1969, which is as close as I've ever been to Nascar race cars; however after getting out of the military I had opportunity to drive some rather quick cars set up for SCCA; of which the fastest was probably the 427 AC Cobra, I never got it to it's top speed, going around the Portland, Oregon road course, but when it went around the last corner and you eased down on the gas causing it to drift onto the straightaway, shifting up through the gears 'til you're going way way over 150 mph, then clamping on the brakes for turn 1, it puts a whole new sensation to g-force. Makes one wonder how a fighter jet pilot could ever retire.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    ANYTHING!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ducky
    why is Dale's ride stuck in the deep end of the pool?

The question you should be asking is: If I were in Dale's shoes, why would I have driven to the deep end of the pool? I think the answer becomes more obvious in that light.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:The question you should be asking is: If I were in Dale's shoes, why would I have driven to the deep end of the pool? I think the answer becomes more obvious in that light

looks to me like junior is simply trying to get the better "angle" at the "start/finish" line[:p][:D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Justin: and you think custom guns are expensive.[:0][:D]

My nephew, is into drag cars. He is presently building a blown car.

Told his dad, that the fuel injected car he also has, was too slow.[:0]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    looks to me like junior is simply trying to get the better "angle" at the "start/finish" line[:p][:D]

Emphasis added. [:D]

Oh yeah: I tell you what...I'm in the "South" now, so I'm supposed to say "I'm with Junior." [;)]
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was driving one and just into the turn I ran out of quarters...DAMN[:D][:D]

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    cbr954cbr954 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not driven a NASCAR but I have ridden my motorcycle at 170+ mph on the highway. Talk about a rush.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Get out of the left lane.. you're holding me up.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    No, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
    LOL[:D][:D]

Get out of the left lane.. you're holding me up.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    NASCAR is tooooo slooooow.
    do 190mph turn right, left, right, right, nail it hitting 220 on the straights.
    Crew Chief HRS Racing Formula Atlantic Pro Series 1999-2003
    Walte
  • Options
    borderguyborderguy Member Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drove one at California International Speedway last year. What a rush. It's hard to believe the tires are going to hold when you hit the corners. Got the T-shirt somewhere.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone can steer at 190mph if you have a wheel. Try counter-steering, lowering your center of gravity into the center of the turn, putting your knee within inches of the asphalt, and keeping your body perpendicular to the ground, accelerating as miscellaneous parts of your body and bike threaten to rub on the ground at 110mph; without leaving your lane of traffic.

That was my commute to work when I used to run late getting to a restaurant in the Badlands. At least, it was until the day I was in that configuration and spotted a buffalo on the road 100 yards ahead of me.

Can someone just start a charity to send me to California Superbike School a couple times and get it out of my system? [8D] (Kinda like buying an alcoholic a fifth of bourbon to help him quit. [:D])
  • Options
    mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have driven a Nascar at Pocono Speedway. I hit about 160-165 mph. What a feeling...kinda like Bungee jumping..Wife did a ride along with a pro......She hit 190 mph......She tends to remind me she went faster,...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:(Kinda like buying an alcoholic a fifth of bourbon to help him quit. )

NOW we are on the same page[:D][:p][8D]

IAMACLONE 2,....I assume you are speaking of open wheel/formula/indy style cars[?]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also did Pocono. One word...Awsome. You fly down the front strait and you get to turn 1 you think your going through the wall, turn the wheel and its like being in a slot car.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824

Made_in_USA_135_Black1.jpg

us-flag1.gif
    IMG_8700145.jpg
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I got one in a box of Cheeerio's but haven't driven it yet.[:D]

bumpersticker.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:You fly down the front strait and you get to turn 1 you think your going through the wall, turn the wheel and its like being in a slot car.

Same as Dover[:0] It takes a good 10 laps going into the turn faster and faster each time until you realize you can run them that fast. I am still reeling from the experience. Now if I can get the Remington car/sponsor I'll be set for life[:D][8D]

Got Balistics?