In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Effective range of

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
12 ga, OO buck ???

Have a chance to hunt Deer in Pa's Ridley Creek St. Park this year , but was told I must only use OO buck , the ammo I have holds 9 round OO bb's ( 2 3/4" 12 gauge ) Never hunted with the stuff and was wondering what would be the max range for this ammo .

I was thinking , treat it like bow hunting , and try to stay under 35 yards ( + or - a yard or two )

Anyone here ever use it for/on anything ???

BTW Deer in these parts average around 100 - 120lbs for an adult deer

Comments

• Options
    RTKBARTKBA Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be very careful with those I know a guy who swears he killed two deer at a 1000yd with one shot from a 12ga using 00 buck.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't hunt with a shotgun, so some of you shotgun snobs will have to educate me. Have a customer with similar claims of shooting deer with a 12g using 00 buck, is it really doable ?? Not having the experience, just can't see taking a deer at 100+ yards with buckshot. Not being argumentative, just not experienced in this particular scenario. Thanks
  • Options
    RTKBARTKBA Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a shotgun twice to deer hunt and wounded deer twice with it. I will never use a shotgun again. As far as 100+yd it might be possible but at that range it's luck in my opinion.
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Using the 'rule of thumb' of 1"/yard, you would pattern 100" at 100 yds.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    bout 40 yds...within bow range
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    Using the 'rule of thumb' of 1"/yard, you would pattern 100" at 100 yds.

Is that rule for all types of shot, or just 00 buckshot ?
  • Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Until the past few years shotguns were mandatory for deer in the area where I now live so I've had no choice. I've taken deer as far out as 120 yards with 12ga. Brenneke or premium sabot slugs. Can't get that far with any accurracy with the run of the mill stuff, though. Buckshot is a 50 yard proposition at best and that's with a full choke and the high velocity stuff. Just my opinion and experience, for what its worth.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I'm not a big fan of shotguns. Anyplace that mandates shotguns usually also allows muzzleloaders. I have yet to see a shotgun that can match the performance of a modern muzzle loader. (hell i typically don't even use a modern ML, civil war muskets with proper loads are quite effective!)
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    edited November -1
    for me.. oo buck I limit myself to 75 yds.
    sabot slugs.. got a doe at 160 yds this year
    wifes 20 ga with rifled slug she took one this year at 116 yds.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In many counties in VA, it is shotgun w/ buckshot ONLY- and it has been taking deer for 200 years. Limit is about 40 yds. Would only use 00 or 0 for deer. Smaller buckshot not for deer or bear- will not penetrate adequately.
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    With buckshot 150 yards max, I would be cautious about shooting at anything over 100 yards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the pro's & con's about OO buck .

This is the only info I can get from the State's web site as far as their "Special "rules go .

In addition to archery hunting, management efforts will include two days of regulated shotgun hunting on December 02, 2010 & December 09, 2010. These hunts will be for both antlered & antlerless deer by SPECIAL PERMIT ONLY. Applications must be submitted for your chance to participate in these two days of hunting. Applications are available during the month of September only. Applications may be obtained in the same manner as the archery hunting information. Successful applicants will be drawn via a lottery. 200 hunters will be selected to hunt each day. To ensure the safety of all park visitors, ALL of Ridley Creek State Park will be CLOSED during these two days to all other activities. During archery hunting the park will remain open. There is no archery hunting on Sundays, December 02 & 09. For additional information please contact the park office.

I sent for a copy of what restrictions they have inplace , It says shotgun only , but nothing on ammo ( I was told OO buck only ) I'm hopeing Slugs are allowd .

Our permits are for the Dec. 2nd hunt , so I still have time to research whats what .
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    effective range is a hard question to answer.

I would say 50 yards, 80 max with a good gun that you have patterned and practiced with.

but if one of those pellets was to hit someone in the temple or major blood vain or vesssle near the skin at 400 yards it probably wouldnt do them one lick of good. and with buckshot you just dont know where it is gonna end up.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Along with all the other stuff posted YOU need to take YOUR shotgun with YOUR load and go pattern it at the furthest distance you plan on shooting. Then you should also do it at a spot or two between.

It is the ONLY way to know for SURE what YOUR set up will do.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Sometimes 00 shoots better in
    an open choke . I lost a deer
    years ago with a 16ga using buckshot.
    About 5 yrs ago I lost another using
    12ga 00. I patterned it out of
    my A5 and there were pattern holes
    everywhere.Slugs only(Brennekes) now, but I
    try to stay out of shotgun territory.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not sure what to think on this one , some are saying 100 or a 100 plus yards , other's are saying 40 tops ?

If I'm limited to this buck shot , I'll keep it within bow range , not saying its the ammo's limits , but for myself , it would be MY limits . Even with slugs , I would keep it under 100 yards .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As Nwcid said, you need to pattern the gun and find out for yourself what the effective range is..

buckshot range with shotguns vary quite a bit from gun to gun. One gun might pattern well enough to use at 80 yards, another might not group so well at 50.

You need to pattern the gun, and practice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will shoot some out of my shotgun to see how it patterns , I'v shot slugs so thats not a problem .
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A 12 Gauge Shotgun Max affective pattern is achieved between 35 yds and 45 yards.. Any shot passed that is what we call the golden BB in the shotgun shooting sports..one might get luck out further, but I wouldnt bet any nickles on killing on a regular basis over that..An over/under or Side by side are regulated to hit the same area between 35 and 40 yards.. Full choke gives an advantage at the max yardage over a modified or open choke.. Those that claim to have killed a deer at 75 to 100 yards with a shotgun and 00 buck were just lucky if they did it at all..
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pattern your gun. I recomend 3-4 shot in an 8 inch circle as your max distance. Hold on the chest, just like shooting a slug. OO buck is .33 cal or 8.38mm, it generally leaves the barrel at 1100-1350fps, and it is not very aerodynamic, so it runs out of energy pretty quick. On deer it is generally best to stay within 50 yard, not that it can't kill farther, but past that your pattern will be falling apart and the energy will start dropping fast.

Again pattern your gun, I would recomend not shooting farther than you gun will put 3-4 buckshot in an 8" circle in the middle of your pattern.

Obviously you can head shoot a deer if it is close enough you know there will be buskshot hitting the brain, but at distance you may put 3-4 shot in it but not hit the brain. You do not have pinpoint accuracy with buskshot like you would with a rifle. Again I recomend holding in the chest where the kill zone is larger.

There have been a lot of deer taken with buckshot, just stay within the limitations of your weapon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All one has to do is figure the muzzle velocity of the 00 buck round.. compare it to a rifle,, Not much there is there..1140 Ft Per Second
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Get yourself some news papers, you know the big squre sections.

Draw yourself a circle the size of the kill zone say 14 inches, or the size of a main course dinner platter.

Most shotguns will do well enough at 35 yards. A good fullchoked gun will put 1 or 2 on it at 50 yards. an excellent shotgun will put one or two on a 20" target at 60 70 80 yards.
  • Options
    shortphatokieshortphatokie Member Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't go over 50 yards max unless you have practiced a lot and know it will do more.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear
    With buckshot 150 yards max, I would be cautious about shooting at anything over 100 yards.

Are you crazy? [:0]
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    Well, ya know, it's called BUCK shot, as opposed to bird shot, for a reason.

Over many years of 3-Gun and observing PD quals with various shot sizes (I use #1 for social use) the old 1" of spread for 1 yard of range has been proven to my satisfaction.

Although

I read a shotgun test recently that had some of the expensive modern super-wad or whatever 00 loads go into 6" at 25 yards from an open choke.

Go! Pattern!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Key Words...6" at 25 yards
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Along with all the other stuff posted YOU need to take YOUR shotgun with YOUR load and go pattern it at the furthest distance you plan on shooting. Then you should also do it at a spot or two between.

It is the ONLY way to know for SURE what YOUR set up will do.

+1 You really need to check out your actual setup to know for sure.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others have said, you need to pattern you gun and load.
    Pattern testing will also tell you Where your gun shoots. Shotguns seldom shoot to point of aim,. Determioning where it shoots is just as important as how it patterns at a given range.

If your gun is chambered for them, there is also 3" buckshot.
    Most offer higher pellet counts and and some higher velocities.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198277314

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198271850
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found regulations from years ago on the PA website that specify ONLY 00 Buck.

quote:Only hunters holding special state park permits and using manual, semi-automatic or muzzleloader shotguns with "00" buckshot ammunition will be allowed to participate in the hunts, which will be limited to 200 hunters each day.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/polycomm/pressrel/ridley.htm
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've hunted with buckshot for years. the max range i would ever go is 35 yards. don't expect to kill them right there expect them to run 30 to 100 yards. don't expect there to be lots of blood.they bleed inside when you gut them expect lots of blood.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.1 buckshot is .30 and you get 16 pellets per 2 3/4 round instead of 9 .33 cal 00. Max range of either 50 yd.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    I will shoot some out of my shotgun to see how it patterns , I'v shot slugs so thats not a problem .

Effective range will vary from gun to gun. None of us can tell you as much as you will learn from shooting it at various ranges. Let us know how it works out. Good Luck.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to hunt with buckshot when we ran deer with hounds.About 40 yards and keep shooting until the deer goes down or you run out of ammo.This will keep from losing your deer.I have killed deer with one shot of buckshot,but the deer was close and I was lucky.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the shotgun. I have a Mossberg 590-A. I got it from Hans Vang in Az. A master at revamping shotguns. At 25 yards, I get all 9 00 buck on target and in a vital zone. Spread averages about 10 inchs or so. On a man size target, nothing is off silouette, Most are at center mass. With a couple in the belly.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is all this crap about 75-150 yd kills
    complete bs. that is the same as a 1600 yd .308 kill
    40 yds is a good max foe OO
    30 is better
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunted Virginia woods 20 years, both shotgun areas and rifle areas. A shotgun with buckshot really maxes out for "accuracy" about 35 or 40 yards. I suggest that you back off from the OO buckshot and go for a denser pattern of smaller shot, such as Number 5 buckshot. The Number 5 buck is going to give you a lot more pellets, denser pattern than the OO shot. If possible, hunt with a muzzleloading rifle. I shot a 4-point buck with my .58 caliber Zouave rifle with a minnie ball few miles south Kings Crossing, Virginia - that was awesome. Seeing the performance of the rifle and load on that deer, it boggles my mind that this is what the Feds and Rebs shot each other with during the Civil War.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bergtreffer
    I suggest that you back off from the OO buckshot and go for a denser pattern of smaller shot, such as Number 5 buckshot. The Number 5 buck is going to give you a lot more pellets, dense

So you are suggesting that he breaks the game laws in his state?

quote:
    Only hunters holding special state park permits and using manual, semi-automatic or muzzleloader shotguns with "00" buckshot ammunition will be allowed to participate in the hunts, which will be limited to 200 hunters each day.
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you are corret. I forgot about the requirement for OO buck. Well, there you go. OO buck it is and keep it in bow range.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear

Are you crazy? [:0]

For a moment there, I thought I was the only one asking that.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I "walk the marsh" for sika deer in very desne marsh. We use 00 Buck for them as the shots are close range and very fast. 50yds is a stretch for a good harvest. We usually hit them at maybe 15-20yds and they drop, but sometimes go a ways. Sika deer have farrrrr more fat inside the hide, and even though they are smaller, they seem to soak up lead better than a far larger whitetail deer.

A pellet of OO buckshot will blow through a 1/2" sheet of plywood at 100yds, but the pattern is blown. You must keep your pattern and your distance in check. 40yds would be my max suggestion,...especially if you are new to buckshot and running deer. I would try more for 20-30yds as a safety measure and ethical boundry. When properly applied, )) buckshot is pure bad *